Re: Is winning an overall race with an EV vehicle even possible?

I am not an electrical engineer by any means, but I believe that how a pack is discharged changes the energy it can store/put out. I know physics says that a certain amount is needed to accelerate a certain amount, but I think the battery pack discharge rate messes up it's potential, if that makes any sense. meaning if you try to dump as much power to the wheels as fast as you can, the total power you'll get out of the pack will end up being less overall by the time it's flat than if you'd done normal street driving.

again, someone correct me if I'm super wrong here.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

77 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-03-06 09:10 PM)

It depends on the composition of the battery. Ni-Cad batteries are famous for dumping and that curve moving backward in the charge state over the lifetime of the battery.

Most Carbon Pile and Alkaline batteries do this sooner but with a less steep curve off.

Look for Discharge curves, which for Lith-ion and Lith-Polymer are temperature dependent. Bad things happen when you hit the bottom of those curves, like runaway internal resistance leading to fire or permanent cell death. Most Lithium based rechargeable batteries actually have a kill system built into them to permadeath the battery if the charge goes below about 20% or so, because if it doesn't nuke itself on the way down, it will definitely nuke itself when you go to recharge it because the internal resistance will not go away once it hits a certain point. A fun thing to discover if you say, forget to recharge something with a built in battery promptly, you get to buy a new battery assuming the battery is even removable. I have a dead Radio Controlled dragonfly thing this happened too which was a sealed foam unit so it can't be replaced.

So planning to say an 80% discharge like demonstrated above, would keep you in the plateau of the discharge curve and prevent your very expensive battery pack from dying.

https://www.mpoweruk.com/images/discharge-chemistry.gif

Zn/MnO2 is the basic alkaline non rechargeable.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Cheat suggestion number 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRAP_w0eYDA

mully006 wrote:

So I have been giving this some thought and I think that it is possible.  Don't be shy there will be some math.

1. How much energy does a gas car use?

My car(mid-pack at best) at ~#2700 and not a lot of HP uses around 4 gallons per hour.  Call it 5 gallons per hour to a front runner.
One gallon of gas contains 33.7 kWh of energy in it and I will assume that the efficiency(gas to wheels) is around 20%.

5[gal/hour] * 33.7 [kWh] * 0.20[%] = 33.7[kWh/hour][kW]

This means that I need to supply ~34 kW to the car continuously to run at race pace. This is not the same a the battery requirement.

2. How much storage do I need?

Motor and drive line efficiency ~90%
Battery charge usage capacity ~ 80% (can't drain the batteries all the way, Tesla batteries are good to around 80% depletion)

33.7[kWh/hour]/ 0.90 [%] / 0.80 [%] = 46.8 [kWh/hour]

Call it 50 [kWh/hour] of energy consumption continuous.

3. What does this mean for racing?

From looking at race data, front running cars spend ~30-45 min in the pits fueling and changing drivers.  Lets call it 35min total off track to be competitive. 

I am going to allocate 15min of that 35min to driver changes. Leaving 20min for all of the battery changing. 

If I swap batteries every hour I would have to do 14 pit-stops maximum (the brake in the race would reduce this by one), every two hours would be 8 pit-stops. 

20 [min] / 14 = 1:25 [m:s]
20 [min] / 8 = 2:30 [m:s]

Conclusion

From looking at this simple calculation I think that it might be possible to be competitive.  I think that the battery swap times could be achieved with smart pack design, quick release fasteners and a well design removal/install fixture or rig.  I also think that 100 kWh is not an unreasonable amount of batteries, Tesla's already come with 100kWh packs. (you would need like 5x this to have enough sets).  It would definitely not be easy but I think it is doable.  For less than $50k probably not, and it would require 20x the thought and engineering that goes into a regular Lemons car.

I made these exact same calculations, +/- 10%.  Grassroots Motorsports Forum has a pretty lively topic on this subject as well.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mully006 wrote:

From looking at race data, front running cars spend ~30-45 min in the pits fueling and changing drivers.  Lets call it 35min total off track to be competitive. 

I am going to allocate 15min of that 35min to driver changes. Leaving 20min for all of the battery changing.

Can you show me this?  I've found that the top teams spend <15-18minutes in the pits.  Typically ~5 or 6 stops in the 3 minute range.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
mully006 wrote:

Can you show me this?  I've found that the top teams spend <15-18minutes in the pits.  Typically ~5 or 6 stops in the 3 minute range.

I made a lap time analyzer that I can send out tonight when I am back home. I look for lap times that were over a threshold value I think like 200 seconds for Thompson, and I summed that time. That total time was around an hour with the number of laps being around 10. I reduced it to 35min because the hour is pitstop and lap and I just wanted the stoppage time.

It's just an estimate, but the 1 hour was pretty consistent I look mallet heads, scooby doobies and del sol train.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

82 (edited by RobL 2019-03-07 08:08 AM)

OK, so you are timing one lap in with your pit stop time and not just the time stopped in pit lane and then you were halfing that time (60 minutes to 35)?    You should subtract their average lap time from each of their stops to get an estimate of time stopped in the pits.  At thompson, we lose two laps when we come in to pit (3 minutes stopped on a 1:35 lap time).

By doing it solely based on time, you could also be getting double yellows in there too.  Trust me when I say that no leading team is coming in more then 3 times a day for fuel. 

--Rob

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Gas math might be a bit generous, not sure how many overall winners use as little as 4-5GPH...

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I downloaded Rust in the Wind's times for you.  This is their winning run at NJMP in 2018. 

Use this race and not Thompson.  I can tell you that this race was all done under green flag and in the dry.  This team is very consistent and they come into the pits almost exactly every 50 laps for fuel.  It looks like they make 7 stops (and either a BF or broken car at lap 326) all weekend and their average stop is in the 3:00-3:30 times (which includes either their slower out lap or slower in lap depending on where they cross the timing loop in pit lane). 

http://gofile.me/6ulKe/xbC2QOht7

While we're doing math, also factor in weight and a couple of other things.

50kwh weighs a lot; it will add over 1000 pounds to your car, especially when you factor in all of the other structures necessary to support a hot-swappable battery pack. You're looking at a 4000+ pound car that you have to make go, stop, and turn at a class A pace. That will require a lot of power, like hundreds of HP.

That causes another problem; you now have to expend a huge amount of energy to make that go/stop/turn cycle work at a Class A pace, so you generate a lot of heat in the motors, controllers, and batteries. We can put our 88HP Electrica in thermal limp mode pretty quickly if we are not careful, and a Tesla Model 3 with the Performance option in Track mode starts pulling power after about 3 hot laps of Lime Rock.

Then there's efficiency. All of the components (even passive components like wires) are less efficient at higher loads. Your Tesla (or your Jet Electrica 007) will get about 1/6 as many miles at CMP as it will get driving around Raleigh on the same battery pack. I got to see this live at a recent autocross; the battery meter drops like a rock when you hoon it. Turning an hour at a fast pace on 50kwh of batteries may be optimistic.

Sorry to be such a downer, but EVs are hard.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Sorry to be such a downer, but EVs are hard.

Using a big heavy battery would work to beat Class C, not class A.
To win Class A, you use a very small battery pack and swap/recharge very frequently,
an EV can be very light and very fast for a short time.

EVs have dominated racing over gas cars for a long time..in short races..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXLtPGrTGQ

Gas cars need air to perform, so you get an advantage at high altitudes over gas cars,
so the track to compete on is Denver (High Plains Raceway) which has small car counts too as I recall.

RobL wrote:

I would suspect that your energy requirements for running good lap times is off by an order of magnitude. 

About 10 years ago, my EE friend and I were going to make an electric autocross car.  We did all the energy requirements and found that we were going to need 2 sets of batteries to get an estimated 6 miles out of the car (smaller battery groups than what an endurance car would run but still weighed ~100kg).  Full throttle driving consumes an insane amount of electrical energy.  We had to include regenerative braking (for an estimated 1 mile trip).  Even the Formula E only get ~25laps out of 54kWh batteries (with very efficient electronics and motors). 

Speaking of motors - the drive motors were going to get hot.  Like really hot.  Hot enough that they were going to require extra cooling not just ducting.  There are trade offs here as to motor size vs. heat vs. cost. 

Anyway, we gave up on the idea as a good two stroke engine was going to kick our ass in weight vs. power vs. cost vs. reliability ratios.

I mentioned the motor melting heat and the fact that full throttle driving pulls insane amounts of energy.  The FE guys only get an hour out of the 54kWh batteries and their cars are about 330hp and the battery packs weigh in at 500lbs.

^ I tend to agree here.  Most everyone seems to be sorta ignoring the problem of keeping one of these things cool enough to last for a single 1-2 hr stint, much less an entire day.  It sounds interesting to stuff a Tesla battery pack and a forklift motor into a miata but when that m-effer catches on fire at hour two its gonna be a big mess. 

Do I think it's possible to build something that could win the $50k?  Yes.  Will it cost more than $50k to do?  Yes.  Much more.  Conversely, we do have to keep sight of the fact that a pointy end of the field team is spending more than $400 to get those $400 worth of nickels so really the only new twist to this is a much elevated budget.  Plus knowledge/experience.  There are very few undiscovered advances in making a 20 year old car last in an endurance race.  I don't believe there is much knowledge/experience in the arena of endurance racing an EV on a budget. I'm also reminded about the time my older brother (Stanford Masters in EE specializing in power supply) visited a an old colleague for lunch that was working at Tesla a while before the launch of the Model S.  They gave him a mini tour and he was rather struck by how crude some of the workings were, he also asked them "what are you doing about the frazzmastat effect" or whatever it was called.  Apparently it's some adverse effect that occurs when you are building an electric car the way they were.  They grabbed my brother, pulled him into a conference room and asked "what do you know about the frazzmastat effect?" and all he could think of was "Holy Shit, these guys are this far down the road and they haven't solved this fairly base problem yet?  What else don't they know?"  That leads me to believe that this is gonna take a lot of testing to discover what you don't know.  Not saying he's Einstein but if someone gets stuck on something in their EV quest, I can certainly call on him to see what he knows.

I hope someone tries this but also hope no one gets hurt doing so.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

BTW,  I searched Google for "frazzmastat effect" and got a plain and simple:  "I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

I don't think I have ever gotten a zero result using Google.  I'm sure there is a data center in Palo Alto with smoke coming out of it.  Hats off to you!

Who is ready to start a Frazzmastat Effect team and pwn the Internets?

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Using a big heavy battery would work to beat Class C, not class A.
To win Class A, you use a very small battery pack and swap/recharge very frequently,
an EV can be very light and very fast for a short time.

I think this is the problem that makes winning so damn hard. You can't stop that many times and keep a lead, unless your pace is significantly faster than everyone else. Assuming the rules are the same for an EV where you must get out of the car to "refuel", there is a minimum pit time you will bump into just for strapping a driver in safely. Figure that with pit lane speeds and swap time, and driver change time you're loosing at least 2 minutes per stop, at most tracks that means you loose a lap every stop that you then have to chase back.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

n0m4d wrote:

BTW,  I searched Google for "frazzmastat effect" and got a plain and simple:  "I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

I don't think I have ever gotten a zero result using Google.  I'm sure there is a data center in Palo Alto with smoke coming out of it.  Hats off to you!

Who is ready to start a Frazzmastat Effect team and pwn the Internets?

I'm the only non-EE sibling and I don't recall what the exact name of the effect was.  In cases like this where the name can't be recalled, I use the descriptive term "thingie" whereas the EE's in the household used "frazzmastat"

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Oh yeah, and the AC motor and controller play hell with the timing loop at CMP. They were not super-pleased about that.

rmcdaniels wrote:

Oh yeah, and the AC motor and controller play hell with the timing loop at CMP.

Timing loop-hole: "Why yes, the system clearly shows we completed 62,877,412,052 more laps than the next closest team. Please deliver the truckload of nickels to the following address..."

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Does anyone on here have some speed data for a race lap? I would like to use that to do a more detailed calculation of the power requirement based on the car speed profile over the course of a lap.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

More like you turned no laps and nobody near you turned any laps either,

96 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-03-07 05:26 PM)

rmcdaniels wrote:

More like you turned no laps and nobody near you turned any laps either,

Now I know how to win!.  Two car team.  One electric and trying to be fast with an EM pulse generator.  Trigger each time it goes near the loop.  Other car with class A potential and an ICE engine.  Final, and most important, a pack of adorable puppies that your distract Roland and his lovely wife with so they do not notice the effects and start manually timing cars.

Edit, Oh, and switch transponders on the two cars.

I noticed at Sebring when I got black flagged for passing under yellow and didn't know where the penalty box was, that driving around the garage building right by the hot pit wall clocked a lap. I had some thoughts about how to capitalize on that, maybe tuck the transponder in a sock, but then nobody showed up to race so we won anyway.

[Kobayashi Maru ;-) ]

rmcdaniels wrote:

Oh yeah, and the AC motor and controller play hell with the timing loop at CMP. They were not super-pleased about that.

Wow Specialty Timing wasn't pleased with something......

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

rmcdaniels wrote:

I noticed at Sebring when I got black flagged for passing under yellow and didn't know where the penalty box was, that driving around the garage building right by the hot pit wall clocked a lap. I had some thoughts about how to capitalize on that, maybe tuck the transponder in a sock, but then nobody showed up to race so we won anyway.

Hey I was there.......But in a Sebring so not really racing.