Re: Is winning an overall race with an EV vehicle even possible?

jfbeam wrote:

(a) EVs are budget exempt -- currently.

richv70 already covered that.

jfbeam wrote:

(b) There are EV race cars with the speed to win overall. The key issue is fuel -- batteries. I doubt any of the teams with such cars even have enough batteries to last an entire day, much less the two days of a race. Plus, do you really want 3 semi's worth of shit showing up for a single car?

I can build a Class A paced EV. It just takes money. (about $10-15k) I can build hot-swap battery systems -- expense is a matter of what Jay wants w.r.t. safety. However, I'd need about three dozen of those systems. For the not-remotely-class-A-fast 007, that's $150k worth of batteries; a class-A pace might take 10x that.

NOT THAT I WANT TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM ATTEMPTING IT. By all means, I want to see more "Class E" cars. Yes, it will be a few more years before Jay's nickels are in danger. (unless Bream wants to bring his warehouse of batteries to a track.)

Who said anything about speed?  You can't win a Lemons race (overall) with a car that has to stop every hour.  There's no way to make up that time off track, even if fueling is instantaneous.  We can talk about why that is if you want, but I should think it would be reasonably obvious.

I also think you are under-stating the difficulty (and cost) of building an EV that can reliably maintain the kind of duty cycle road racing requires at the sorts of high power levels we are talking about and over a race distance.  But that's just an unsupported assertion on my part and I may very well be wrong.

hoverducky wrote:
jfbeam wrote:

EVs are budget exempt -- currently.

richv70 already covered that.

Not really. 99% of the work in an EV conversion is the motor, controller, batteries, and wiring. All of that is explicitly exempt. If you went all cheety with "racing suspension" -- that wouldn't do you any good with a ton of battery weight -- they might give you some grief, but I'm reasonably sure no one would even look. If you showed up with a caged Tesla Model S or 3 (copart special), they'd laugh and point, then put you in Class C and wait (briefly) for it to overheat and/or burn itself to slag behind a wall somewhere. (please driving it away from the race when it starts to burn so we can continue to drive.)

Who said anything about speed? ... I also think you are under-stating the difficulty (and cost) of building an EV...

I DID! Speed is the only way to make up for the time spent "refueling", because you're going to be doing about 10x as many stops, at best about twice as fast (1min vs 3 -- and that's if you have a perfect battery tray system ($$$)) It will also depend highly on the track -- pick one where you don't lose a lap coming down pit road.

Understating difficulty, perhaps -- I have an EV racecar, so I'm more aware of the industry. (eg. there ARE EV race components; they're just expensive, and somewhat rare) But understating cost? No. No. No. I've been nothing but up front about this not being remotely attainable for the prize money.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Not with todays best technology.

Maybe in another 10 years..

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

179 (edited by chaase 2019-03-27 11:47 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Not with todays best technology.

Maybe in another 10 years..

I think the next generation of batteries will make things a bit more competitive. I'd like to see what could be done with flow batteries if they can make a breakthrough there.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

So, I was browsing through how CARB sees an i3 with the REX option, and if the range with just batteries is greater than the range with just the APU, then it is still a battery-operated electric vehicle, which is why US versions had a slightly smaller gas tank than non-US versions.

Turbine-powered aircraft APUs make 60kw and weigh less than 100 pounds.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

They do, but what's an APU's fuel consumption per hour?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

240 lbs/hr @ 90kw.

A common 737 APU makes 90kw and weighs 375 pounds. I could easily mount that in a vehicle.

I'm having the thought that maybe a 737 APU screaming and guzzling jet fuel while riding around the track in the bed of an old Ford Ranger driven by a DIY forklift-motor conversion may not be what they had in mind for the EV challenge, but it SHOULD be.

183 (edited by chaase 2019-03-29 05:40 AM)

rmcdaniels wrote:

240 lbs/hr @ 90kw.

A common 737 APU makes 90kw and weighs 375 pounds. I could easily mount that in a vehicle.

I'm having the thought that maybe a 737 APU screaming and guzzling jet fuel while riding around the track in the bed of an old Ford Ranger driven by a DIY forklift-motor conversion.

I don't see the problem. What could possibly go wrong?!?!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

So with the largest allowable fuel cell you would get less than an hour per fill up.

You can’t lose!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

So with the largest allowable fuel cell you would get less than an hour per fill up.

You can’t lose!

And only have ~100hp available.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Good thought, so make the base vehicle an F-150 from the 80's with dual 19-gallon tanks, or if you can find one with the extra large tank option, then a 19-gallon front and a 38-gallon rear tank.

Don't most turbine APU's run on Jet-A?  The APU would need to run on gasoline/diesel as gas/dizzle are the only fuels allowed.  And yes I fully understand why as a racetrack is unlikely to have the the equipment to fight a Jet-A fire.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Don't most turbine APU's run on Jet-A?  The APU would need to run on gasoline/diesel as gas/dizzle are the only fuels allowed.  And yes I fully understand why as a racetrack is unlikely to have the the equipment to fight a Jet-A fire.

At sea level and above 20 degrees they act very much the same (Jet A and diesel) so unlikely to be much of an issue.  Other than being a higher spec for purity, the major difference is the anti-gelling agents...wing tanks get a bit chilly at 30,000'.  If your worried, get one set up for JP8...promise that will run on DF1 or DF2.

I was thinking diesel as well. I've seen JP5 and JP8 used as diesel fuel before (and they all taste the same), and I've used kerosene as diesel before (JP8 is basically kerosene with extra ingredients for low temps and water contamination), so I'm thinking that you run diesel through it and keep it below 30,000 feet and it should be fine.

These 'micro' turbines were used in a Jag concept car about 10 years ago. Never went anywhere, the company that made them (Bladon) now focuses on gensets for remote locations, cell towers, etc.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/jet-power … ne-hybrid/

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

That Bladon generator would be perfect. I need one of these in my next Lemons car:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6824-bladonjets.jpg

rmcdaniels wrote:

That Bladon generator would be perfect. I need one of these in my next Lemons car:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6824-bladonjets.jpg

Centrifugal flow with likely 1950's tech burner cans...hell yeah.  Get a T37 engine while your at it.

rmcdaniels wrote:

I was thinking diesel as well. I've seen JP5 and JP8 used as diesel fuel before (and they all taste the same), and I've used kerosene as diesel before (JP8 is basically kerosene with extra ingredients for low temps and water contamination), so I'm thinking that you run diesel through it and keep it below 30,000 feet and it should be fine.

A turbine will run on any liquid that will burn. The only other diesel issue is what other gunk is in it that may cludge up the injectors or burner.

Still only one good way to find out!

194 (edited by chaase 2019-04-01 10:45 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

A turbine will run on any liquid that will burn. The only other diesel issue is what other gunk is in it that may cludge up the injectors or burner.

Still only one good way to find out!

Use #2 Heating oil instead of diesel. You don't have all of the other additives and its cheaper 8-)

Rules say Gas or Diesel

Guildenstern wrote:

Rules say Gas or Diesel

They won't know except for the pretty red exhaust.

197 (edited by darkostoj 2019-05-17 05:42 AM)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

https://i.ibb.co/jVcMBHz/s-l1600.jpg

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Mmmmm lookit all those AA's!

Enough to run an X-box 360 controller for a Week, maybe a week and 1/2!

chaase wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Rules say Gas or Diesel

They won't know except for the pretty red exhaust.

Buy it at the pump that says "off-road diesel".

200 (edited by darkostoj 2019-06-01 11:11 AM)

In case anyone was curious.  We have been selling the Tesla Battery Modules like hotcakes here. 

We are getting around $1200 shipped per module.

With how much batteries cost I don't think anyone will ever take that prize unless its a company like Tesla or Rivian and it will be at a total loss.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner