Topic: So have I got this kill switch wiring right?

First, I DID search.  All I found was a bunch of posts telling people asking for kill switch help to go search.  OK, well I found some info, enough to get me to this point.  Tell me if I have this right.  My understanding of kill switch wiring:

1. The kill switch needs to switch more than just the main battery line.  Opinions seem to differ as to whether the alternator or other lines (ignition, coil) should be cut to kill the car.
2. It is (potentially) bad to have the kill switch inline between the alternator and battery because if the switch is thrown, it can cause a voltage spike killing the alternator. 
3. Some people successfully use the single pole single throw (SPST) harbor freight switch.

First question: 
Am I correct in my understanding that wiring leaving the alternator connected to the battery (i.e. not putting the switch in-line on the laternator output) will avoid the potential alternator-killing voltage spike since the battery is still acting as a sink for the alternator?

Second question:
I am confused about #3:  How to do you wire a SPST switch properly?  Is it OK to run the battery and ignition circuits through the same switch terminals like in image "A" below?  The image in my head of how it works is more like image "B" below, with a DPST switch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/sac02/utf-8BS2lsbF9Td2l0Y2guSlBH.jpg

Help?

2 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-03-01 09:16 AM)

Re: So have I got this kill switch wiring right?

I always struggle with this too. you HAVE to disconnect the alternator too, becasue the car stays running even with no battery. My understanding is that if you disconnect the main lead as required, you have to have somewhere for the alternator energy to go or it fries the alternator - maybe never, mabye immediately. Because of this, you need the fancy switches that have a "sink" for the alternator (a resistor that runs the alternator to ground). I can't think of any way of doing this with the HF switches. I hope I can be proved wrong though, as I'd rather do that too, than spend $70 on the good ones. (you need two of them now?)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I found trying to use the Harbour Freight SPST switch confusing too, so we opted for the nicer DPST switch wired like in your "B" example.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

i don't understand your MSpaint  drawing, but its not rocket science.

put the alternator charge wire straight back to the battery, like on the car..run a power cable to the kilswitch, wire everything else off the killswitch/cable off the killswitch, pretty straight forward.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

And you need two correct?  One on the engine, one in the car?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Anyone who's used the single-pole harbor freight switch care to comment?

I can't speak to the longevity of the single pole with the alternator, but it worked fine with the alternator for a few weeks.  Having to run the alternator through some resistor and sink only seems necessary to me if you were looking to  straight ground it and expect it to continue to produce power by the motor turning.  Following the basic principles I know, cutting the circuit won't have that same result as grounding it out, so that wasn't one of my worries.  Maybe I'm ignorant and lucky though. 

I just looked at it as interrupting the two main circuits in the car as close to the source as possible.  I don't know that if you interrupt the battery and alternator circuit, if they're the only two circuits producing current, you'll have to wire the ignition too like your drawing as long as its power supply has been preempted.  I'm sure there are exceptions in some odd cars that people here know about.  I mean, some do choose to run French or British cars with bad electrical history, right?

It worked to run a positive wire from the battery and the output of the alternator into one terminal.  Out of the other terminal you'll be able to run a wire back to the stock alternator output (which would be responsible for returning to the ~14v circuit re-charging the battery) and another to the wire that formerly joined the battery terminal. 

I played with running one or the other through the switch; yes it was necessary to do both because either a well charged battery or an alternator alone would run the car. 

And, Bigds, two switches are required in Chumpcar, so a number of people are wiring both up so they can run that series as well.  Or, they like the idea of the driver having switch access and a switch outside the cockpit for workers.  They're probably the responsible honor student types.  But, only one is required in the rules right now

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Here you go -

http://www.ssdiv.com/master.html

We used the 6-pole switch.  I accidentally broke the leads off the supplied resistor so we just got a light bulb socket with leads and wired that in.  When flipped, the switch breaks the circuit from the battery and the coil but connects the alternator to the negative pole of the battery through the light. So the light glows when the switch is thrown for a second or two as the residual alternator power goes somewhere instead of blowing diodes (some alternators seem to be a lot more resistant to this than others).

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

the drawings that I see have a 2 pole switch with the alternator ckt wired through the 2 small terminals.  The batt is wired through the 2 large terminals.  The alternator ckt breaks first, then the battery ckt.  This is usually necessary on alternators with an external voltage regulator.    I'll try to find the link w/ the drawings, but my computer shit the bed the other day, and my bookmarks disappeared.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/s … hp?t=20130

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!