Topic: Parts car cost in budget?

Ok, so I know that I can sell items off the race car to offset my budget, but can I do the same with a parts car?

For example, I need a wiget (engine, transmission, steering rack, whatever).  Can I sell off the non-exept items off of the parts car (Radio, alternator, interior, etc) to get the widget for free?  Now, I am not trying to use the parts car to offset the racecar (strip the car and add $x into my budget, I am just trying to get free/low cost parts smile

Oh. And no, I am not a professional dismantler smile

Re: Parts car cost in budget?

spares are kind of a grey area. The by the book way it works is like this. After each race you're supposed to ask for a residual value on the car, and then that is what you can spend to fix/upgrade. Residual value should reflect what is broken. So if you toast an engine, maybe your value is $100 and you have $400 to find a new one. Then you can play the budget game of buying a parts car, selling a lot of it, and showing you got the drive train for $100 all said and done. Document it all and at the next race you can prove to the judges that you're under budget.

However, If you blow a motor at the track, no one comes stopping you from swapping in a spare until you prove your budget, you just plow ahead and try to win that heroic fix. So keeping a spare motor, trans, hubs, suspension, etc in your trailer never gets another thought. With the huge exception that if you swap out for a clearly cheated up high dollar built engine, someone's going to raise an eyebrow. That said, preemptively gathering spares is very common, and encouraged. Grab your parts car, take the parts you need, sell the rest, keep that documentation on how you got them just in case. 

How much you get sweated on this stuff comes down to your car. If you have some super cheaty spec E36 and you're swapping motors left and right, you might get scrutinized. If you're running something french in C-class and you show up with a trailer full of spare engines "just in case", no one will ever ask you to prove you got them all inside budget.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Bring a car in the spirit of $500 and have fun.

ross2004 wrote:

Bring a car in the spirit of $500 and have fun.

THIS!!!!!!!!

Do not overly sweat the budget thing unless you are cheating it.  If you have a car like a Miata, Porsche, BMW, etc they will probably want to see receipts.  None of my cars have they ever cared to see receipts because they have a stock suspension, stock motor, stock nearly everything.  So if you are raiding the go fast aftermarket parts bin then save receipts for everything and have a great story.  If you have a stock 1986 Grand Marquis don't sweat it.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

I agree don't sweat it. I was just laying out the technically correct by the books answer first.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Spare parts have been a grey area but it's not something we've ever worried about. When something breaks during the race, the time to run out and get the parts or replace the parts is effectively your penalty for going "over budget". The judges don't want people using money to buy wins and to keep costs down.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I want to play within the rules and the spirit., which is why I am asking this question.

I am not talking spares so to speak, because my buddies and I are looking to go into this kinda like “roadkill”. Come in with good intentions, alot of greasy beer fueled nights building a car and drunken ambitious intentions, totally unprepared for the inevitable failure, embrace the failure, then scramble like hell to adapt

I am talking more about building the initial car.  We are looking to build a “frankencar” with an engine/tranny that has no earthly business being in the chassis.  As my buddies and I have more time than money (or brains it seems), we are looking at purchasing a car at copart or some other auto auction, pulling the engine/tranny, then selling off the remainder of the car, and scrapping the shell to get the engine/tranny for free.

I remember a long time ago when i first looked into Lemons racing hearing the argument “what is stopping someone from buing a $500 block of aluminimum and whittling away everything that’s not a formula one car”! Then hearing two camps argue that premise with one saying “well, it’s a beater race, and that’s cheating, and the other saying “if you have the skill and ingenuity to do it, god bless”

Don't come in like "Roadkill". Actually try.

The "Correct" way of doing things is think about it like "Selling" yourselves the parts.

So you go buy an auction car, That costs $X. Then you take the parts you want off and sell the rest.

That money you get is $Y, with Y being less than half of what you think you should be getting for the scrap parts.

X-Y= the cost of ALL the parts you kept and put on the race car.

If by magic X-Y=$0, you've already won more than you ever will in Lemons.

Document every transaction. Line item all the parts separately with the Cost for the car and scrap income. Then list THAT as "Recovered Drivetrain" on your main list.

What you "can't" do, if by some crazy magic you have extra Profit and don't just take a huge bath on the whole thing, Is roll that into the rest of the build. The auction car > Parts Harvest > Scrap is its own self contained entity. Bonus points if you set up a Lemonade style stand  with a sign like "Bernie Madoff's own slightly used cheap race car parts" or something and video or photograph one of you buying the parts from the other. Then include that in your budget evidence.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

If you want to do a weird engine swap, yes you can buy the drive train donor car and sell bits to bring the cost down. However you technically can't go below zero. Meaning if you buy the donor for $500, then sell $800 worth of stuff, you don't magically have a budget of -$300, you just have $0.

There are some rules on what sold items actually count back against budget, like wheels are not supposed to count, since they're budget exempt anyway, but honestly no one will look that close unless you're doing something extreme. Again, I've given the "by the book" answer. Realistically, if you show up with a terrible car, with a terrible engine swap, looking like a terrible noob team, you'll be judged as such and not sweated.

But I do agree, actually try. Races are far more fun behind the wheel instead of behind a wrench. This coming from someone who started "totally roadkill" and got 18 laps my first race and a big old fat zero my second. It sucked. I wanted to race.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Lol. Hilarious!   Thank you for the answer.

Of course we plan on trying, we have the ego bred into us as americans!

In “bench building”. If I pulled the trigger right now, I could get both the car, and the parts car for $385.  Scrap value they are worth more than that!

Thank you for the advice!   I will take it and document fully!