Topic: To hell with rain tires, bring your mudders to Sears Pointless!

Just coming off a wet race weekend at Infineon.  There was just a little rain on Saturday morning, but wet spots (yeah, go ahead, make your jokes) on the track stuck around all the way through Sunday afternoon.  Besides the several totalled and rolled cars in the esses (before the motorcycle chute - so a part of the track we'll be running) there were several cars that got stuck in the mud outside T4.  Now, T4 is a downhill braking zone into a falling-away downhill 90 degree right hander with what is essentially a mud bog on the outside, so it's easy to go wide on the exit.  The saftey crew had a REALLY hard time getting cars out of there - they even called in a 4 wheel drive dually F350 super duty that almost got stuck pulling out a Honda that made it especially far into the soup.

Sooooo, the worst penalty this weekend might not be dealt out by the judges - it may be being left for dead in the swamp outside T4.  I'm guessing we get a big collection of cars there through out the day Saturday, then their teams can go try to rescue them at the end of the day.

Don't say you haven't been warned!

smile

Re: To hell with rain tires, bring your mudders to Sears Pointless!

Were they running turn 4a or 4?

on the Orwell 1984 Mustang one set of tires is m+s rated. so much for sticky rubber!!!

I still have time to mount a recovery winch to the front of our car.

Don't think I won't do it!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

5 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-03-01 07:43 PM)

Fish wrote:

Were they running turn 4a or 4?

The normal T4, So go slow through there, it is a turn that causes push in all cars so it is easy to go too hot into the corner, turn the wheel and off into the mud bog, be careful

Great..... forecast still looks crappy..60% chance of rain on Saturday and 40% on Sunday....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

trekkor wrote:

I still have time to mount a recovery winch to the front of our car.

Don't think I won't do it!

KT

Cmon!  Do it!  You'll be the only survivor!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

icemang17 wrote:

Great..... forecast still looks crappy..60% chance of rain on Saturday and 40% on Sunday....

Perfect conditions for FWD.

sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

True...not so good for us V8 RWD guys

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Rain is the great equalizer, I hate the rain, just ain't that fun, kinda scary actually

our underbody aerodynamics should create an awesome rooster tail...

sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Perfect conditions for AWD.

Fixed it.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

icemang17 wrote:
sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

True...not so good for us V8 RWD guys

I can't count number of RWD cars that spun at Gator-O-Rama on Sunday. Even in a straight line they would break loose and go sideways. It was really slick.

The V8olvo Death Cab is going to be a handful, for sure.  We'll have to flash S O S with our roof light to call for help from out in the mud...

We are desperately trying to convert the Geo back to FWD.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

this makes me want to build an awd lemon, but the awd car i bought at Lemons prices wouldn't be too popular

Rain, um, rain and more rain.  It supposed to rain today and tomorrow, be cloudy on Thursday and rain (showers) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.   Bring your outboards.....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

What would be better in wet conditions (given same tire size), low treadwear rated performance tires (Azenis, etc) or your average street tires?

I'm guessing narrower tires would be better in the wet than wider in regards to hydroplaning?

Seriously, this is all new to me, not something I have to think about much living in San Diego!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The soft race(low treadwear) tires have more mechanical grip on the track, as long as they're not too wide and have enough tread.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

LTDScott wrote:

Seriously, this is all new to me, not something I have to think about much living in San Diego!

Come on, the wettest two autocrosses I've ever ran were in San Diego, both in March (of 1994 and 2003) where both times we got 6 inches of rain in one day. 2003 was so wet the karts couldn't even run because the would die out in the first river they hit at Qualcomm and in 1994 I remember cones falling over from a car's wake. I'm from Seattle and we've never seen anything that bad, I would not have been any wetter if I jumped in a swimming pool with my clothes on.

Solracer wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

Come on, the wettest two autocrosses I've ever ran were in San Diego, both in March (of 1994 and 2003) where both times we got 6 inches of rain in one day. 2003 was so wet the karts couldn't even run because the would die out in the first river they hit at Qualcomm and in 1994 I remember cones falling over from a car's wake. I'm from Seattle and we've never seen anything that bad, I would not have been any wetter if I jumped in a swimming pool with my clothes on.

Of course it rains here. It's an El Nino (that's Spanish for "The Nino") year this year, so we're getting a lot more rain than usual. Last month it rained for a week straight.

But overall it's unusual, and my point is I've never had to deal with *racing* in the rain.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I'm thinking about sealing the holes in our floorboards and adding a water pump and jets... the worlds fastest jacuzzi? If you're gonna be stuck out at T4 you may as well enjoy it.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Anyone racing a cabrio should get 5 bonus laps this weekend.  HARD CORE!

happy we kept the side glass!
unhappy we removed all ventilation capabilities when we tossed the dash sad

We gotta try to figure out how to affix a construction sign to our Miata as a makeshift roof.

#117 - The Fat And The Furious Big Boy Miata & Big Boy Metro-Gnome