Topic: how many penalty laps will this get me ...

local guy is selling some ITB from a GSXR, I figure that is just what my 4 banger needs.  But will this just end up with our car in the penalty laps dungeon?

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Re: how many penalty laps will this get me ...

Jackasic wrote:

local guy is selling some ITB from a GSXR, I figure that is just what my 4 banger needs.  But will this just end up with our car in the penalty laps dungeon?

They are dirt cheap but what is this I4 you are talking about? You may lose ANY bottom end on the power curve with these ITBs and short runners.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

That cannot fail.  Do it.

vw 16, can't run any worse than it does.  for some reason at anything below 3K it goes into limp mode and the ignition locks out to zero advance.  makes for a fun corner when you have to kick start it in a corner.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I'd say try it.....the judges like to see wacky out there contraptions.....sure it might be slightly over budget....but damm would it be cool......

The sad part is you will probably loose so much bottom end that its not worth it.....stock intake manifolds tend to produce lots of bottom end torque....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

the intake is two piece, I could put it in the middle or bolt them too the head (for teh win1).  here is a pic of what the guy is selling, since this got the juice rolling, may need to start searching craigs list/ebay to see if I can get it cheaper.

http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BmLyehg!2k~$(KGrHqIH-C4Etq5nt27BBLeuyznKb!~~_35.JPG

so after some iterweb searching,  I can get a set up for a c-note.  Maybe this would solve (or cause more) some of our fueling problems ...

are you staying within $500 after your car got re-valued?

if yes then go for it!

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

On that terrible-ass Jetta, we'd probably be OK with the setup... provided you have good documentation of the transaction, of course.

but of course wink knowing my tendenacy to run late on builds and like wise arive late to the race, this will probably take me a few months. time to start the uber cheap scavaning .....

Jackasic wrote:

but of course wink knowing my tendenacy to run late on builds and like wise arive late to the race, this will probably take me a few months. time to start the uber cheap scavaning .....

It will feed fuel properly. I hope you have access to a carb sync tool. You'll need it. But out of recommendation I would suggest running excessively long runners. I am sure you can find some scrap exhaust tubing from a shop or find a way to get a decent 180 degree bends. Making some 9"+ runners with a couple bends should help your bottom end torque curve.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

these are efi itb, so I would think you wouldn't need to sync them.  Main reason I am not going with carbs, to muck pain to jet and sync properly.  I am just going to chop down my factory manifold to make it work

Jackasic wrote:

these are efi itb, so I would think you wouldn't need to sync them.  Main reason I am not going with carbs, to muck pain to jet and sync properly.  I am just going to chop down my factory manifold to make it work

Yeah they shouldn't have to be synced but it wouldnt be bad to check them. They still have the adjustment screws between the ITBs. I take it you have the full harness and computers then. You might be able to run the complete ignition system from the bike as well...

Sons of STIG