Topic: Fueling at CMP

I am confused about how fueling works at CMP.

I read that the track has pumps. Are we required to fuel from those? If so, is it required to have two people in full suits to do the fueling from the track pumps?

Is it allowed to refuel the car in your regular pits (versus "hot pits"). My thought is we are new and inexperienced team and we will want to come into the main pits to do driver changes and check the car over, at least for Saturday. We plan to take our time changing drivers, checking tires, oil, etc. Given this, it would be just as easy for us to fuel the car at our main pit. If this is permitted, do you still need two people in full race gear?

Re: Fueling at CMP

There are only a handful of tracks where fueling is allowed in the regular pits, I don't believe CMP is one of them. Fueling on the hot pits with 5 gallon jugs and a fire extinguisher as described in the rules. Everyone in full gear.

You are not required to use the pumps, but if you do, you don't need people in fire gear, treat it like a regular gas station. Everyone out of the car, car off, don't be stupid. It's convenient, but slower than the hot pits.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

3 (edited by VKZ24 2019-08-27 08:02 AM)

charles1953 wrote:

I am confused about how fueling works at CMP.

I read that the track has pumps. Are we required to fuel from those? If so, is it required to have two people in full suits to do the fueling from the track pumps?

You "can" fuel at the track pumps, but you are not "required" to do so.  The advantages are you can fuel in street clothes with the driver still in the car.  The disadvantages are it's slow, and expensive.

charles1953 wrote:

Is it allowed to refuel the car in your regular pits (versus "hot pits").

No, you cannot.   Your choices are the track pumps, or the hot pits.  No fueling in the paddock.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
charles1953 wrote:

Is it allowed to refuel the car in your regular pits (versus "hot pits").

No, you cannot.   Your choices are the track pumps, or the hot pits.  No fueling in the paddock.

While the track is hot. 

You can fuel in paddock when the track is cold.  That said - I WISH there would be some consistency or at least a rule stated about those requirements.  I've heard it said that when refueling in paddock you still need to be in full gear w/extinguisher at the ready and drip pan just as if you were over the wall on the hot pits. 

And a little note on terminology - "hot pits" - pit lane while the track is hot.  "cold pits" - pit lane while the track is cold and sometimes on the cold side of the pit lane wall (Lemons considers all pit lane hot, not all organizations do).  "paddock" - where everyone parks rigs and where race cars sleep overnight.  Different rules apply to all those areas.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.