1 (edited by MZAVARIN 2019-10-21 04:45 PM)

Topic: New Hampshire race: good videos? opinions? praise or criticism?

Our car #59 veered and got 2 off to avoid an accident/standstill just over the hilltop, but got hit by another skidding car on our left side, Sunday morning in the 1st or 2nd hour....broken tie rod and some other bent rods...but luckily we had the spare parts, and were able to frantically repair everything.
The team that hit us, in true Lemons fasions, and standards of acceptable behavior and etiquette...came over, admitted that they hit us, and graciously apologized....
but maybe we could have done more to avoid the incident? Maybe it was partly our fault?
If anyone had the video, please share!  (I really need to always have a camera recording....)

Otherwise:
- Wow...fast cars (and aggressive), even the slowest Class C cars are fast!
- ?Too many cars on the track for that level of speed?
- What happened with the car rolling over down the hill?
- I did not witness any off-track hooliganism, but very unfortunate...hopefully they don't return...
- What a great party that was ordanized for Saturday night!  And great themes and costumes!
- Seems like there were exceedingly few (interesting) Class C cars....sign of the times?
- Did anyone even get any penalty laps? I saw some Class A cars with no penalty laps that were a bit exteme...
- etc.

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

2 (edited by chaase 2019-10-22 09:35 AM)

Re: New Hampshire race: good videos? opinions? praise or criticism?

We have run class C cars for a few years. It is not for the faint of heart. They are unruly, unreliable, frustrating and expensive to race. Many people don’t want to spend the time and energy keeping one running.

The Rover broke a lot. Manny didn’t drive it for an entire year because it kept breaking before he got to drive.The Javelin has not completed a full race yet and now we have to find a new engine. Class C is basically self inflicted punishment. It is not for everyone

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by pantalonesconqueso 2019-10-21 05:13 PM)

MZAVARIN wrote:

- Wow...fast cars (and aggressive), even the slowest Class C cars are fast!

Not us!

chaase wrote:

Class C is basically self inflicted punishment. It is not for anyone

Class C is for masochists who enjoy humiliating themselves for the entertainment of others; I wouldn't have it any other way <3

MZAVARIN wrote:

The team that hit us, in true Lemons fasions, and standards of acceptable behavior and etiquette...came over, admitted that they hit us, and graciously apologized....
but maybe we could have done more to avoid the incident? Maybe it was partly our fault?
If anyone had the video, please share!  (I really need to always have a camera recording....)

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, although it's nice you're being conscious. It's a bunch of shitty cars and unseasoned drivers mixed in with actual RealRacers(tm) so obviously there's going to be some contact. As long as you don't get on the officials' bad side and do the right thing like the team that hit you did and apologize/communicate, you're fine. Anything you did or that was done to you that the judges/officials miss is only gonna make you feel bad so I would say let it go and focus on having fun in the next race.

March 2016 bought running 1988 VW Fox Wagon
March 2016 - Spring 2018 Car was on its side with no engine
2018 Thompson Organizers' Choice (25 laps)
2019 Thompson Judges' Choice (58 laps) NHMS Judges' Choice (74 laps)

I wanted to post separately from my replies; I was only miffed that we got shit from the track officials that apparently they were sick of towing our car in on Sunday, claiming that our next tow in would be it for us. Might be because NHMS is NASCAR-uppity compared to Thompson, but we were towed in 4 times, and one of those was when we died at the end of Saturday so we got pushed in as everyone else came in anyway. Relative to what we and many other drivers experienced in Thompson, I felt this was a low amount and I was a little surprised.

I totally get Lemons having to keep the track happy for future events, I understand that the towing should be reserved more for crashes rather than cars failing because their teams don't know shit about how to fix them, but it IS Lemons...

I never heard of threats of like that at Loudon before. It’s Lemons, they should expect it

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

There was a lot of contact out there.. We were guilty of a few racing incidents as well. None of which were intentional...To the guy in the Red Camaro who blasted me in the rear under caution, I know it wasnt on purpose... but damn!!! On the front straight too.. Im not really upset about it. Its just that the racing seemed very competitive with some really fast cars out there and some really good drivers. Sometimes s**t just happens. Overall We had a blast, But our poor car is desperate need of work now. Thats why God made winter..LOL

7 (edited by stano316 2019-10-22 09:31 AM)

I agree with Chris.  I bet if you made the purse bigger in C, you would see a lot more class c cars, or a lot more bribing to get into C.

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

8 (edited by DRVOLKS 2019-10-22 09:49 AM)

We at DRVOLKS racing had a great weekend with all of you the Audi TT with the TDI/DSG CR 2L was a blast. we had a few spins and bumps. I am sorry for the Yellow flag  pass on the front chute. We where coming up on a black car one group went to the right I went to the left I never saw brake lights on the car?. I saw the yellow flag and jumped on the brakes and slid by him and the flag sideways. Got to make a nice pumpkin !!
https://i.imgur.com/4Yu0Bt2.jpg

9 (edited by TheEngineer 2019-10-22 11:57 AM)

pantalonesconqueso wrote:

I wanted to post separately from my replies; I was only miffed that we got shit from the track officials that apparently they were sick of towing our car in on Sunday, claiming that our next tow in would be it for us. Might be because NHMS is NASCAR-uppity compared to Thompson, but we were towed in 4 times, and one of those was when we died at the end of Saturday so we got pushed in as everyone else came in anyway. Relative to what we and many other drivers experienced in Thompson, I felt this was a low amount and I was a little surprised.

I totally get Lemons having to keep the track happy for future events, I understand that the towing should be reserved more for crashes rather than cars failing because their teams don't know shit about how to fix them, but it IS Lemons...

This is not unheard of honestly. Every time they have to hook up a car to the tow truck they are putting their workers in some amount of danger. If some team keeps fixing a car with duck tape and sending it out to break again and laughing it off, they stop seeing it as funny. I'm not accusing you of doing that BTW. But that is the view that the track workers can get when they pull the same car 4 times in a day. This is Lemons yes, but that doesn't mean we should be putting cars out we know will fail and need to be towed.

Source: I got the same warning one race at NHMS with the daytona when we had to get pulled a bunch of times.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My own opinion on the weekend, What the hell got into the water?

New england has always been a little agro, but this weekend was just over the top stupid. It started with the shit heads riding motorized pit vehicles on the track walk hour. NHMS NEVER lets us walk the track, and so the first time they do in a while you guys go and ruin it for us by riding those things (which are never allowed, on any track) and leaving trash out there? Cool.

I have never seen the penalty box so full as it was saturday. A red flag within 10 minutes of the start? Constant black flags? holy crap. The last time I saw a day like that Jay threatened to not let us run sunday. I really don't know what was going on at all this weekend.

I didn't drive until sunday, and even then there was some bad behavior. There were a few cars out there actively blocking. Not the normal "i'll drive the line and make you pass me another way", but like actively turning in early to prevent someone trying to out brake them into corners. Don't be a dick. Run the line if you want, but active blocking is a dick move.

All that said, I hope we were ok on tack ourselves. Our car was finally fast, and we could hammer on it all weekend, so we found ourselves actively seeking out passing more than previously. If you have complaints, tell me. We try to be respectful while still letting ourselves race. I do my best to never block. If I notice you're catching me and trying to pass, i'll race you but always leave a gap for you to take if you want it. I hope all our drivers do the same.

On a less serious note, if I hear one more announcement about buying merch, i'm going to set fire to the infield loudspeakers. Someone needed to take the mic away from the guest judge.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

11 (edited by gtopat 2019-10-22 02:49 PM)

We got screamed at years ago by a wrecker driver at NHMS. No idea why, he was too busy shouting his face red for us to understand. Its not the reason we don't go back (no good places to watch from) but it didn't help. All New England races suck IMHO. Miserable people up there...

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

12 (edited by urnotmydad 2019-10-22 05:27 PM)

I feel like this is a tough track without the aggro drivers, but there were some really aggressive people out there. I wonder how many people got hit trying to exit the track into the pit. I ended up in medical twice for hitting the wall; once was my fault, the other time I was hit into the wall and I don't think the team ever reported to collision to the judges.

It was cool to drive on that NASCAR track, but I don't know if we'll do New Hampshire again if this is what we're in for.

Also: I hate the baby shark song big_smile

Fightin' Oil Bees
'92 Mustang

13 (edited by pantalonesconqueso 2019-10-22 05:37 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

This is not unheard of honestly. Every time they have to hook up a car to the tow truck they are putting their workers in some amount of danger. If some team keeps fixing a car with duck tape and sending it out to break again and laughing it off, they stop seeing it as funny. I'm not accusing you of doing that BTW. But that is the view that the track workers can get when they pull the same car 4 times in a day. This is Lemons yes, but that doesn't mean we should be putting cars out we know will fail and need to be towed.

Source: I got the same warning one race at NHMS with the daytona when we had to get pulled a bunch of times.

Alright, well at least there's a consistency on record. We did sort of smarten up after the warning and took the car for a cruise around the paddock to further diagnose it, but in no way are we putting the car out thinking "well we'll get some laps before it breaks down and we can just get a tow back." Then again, given that ultimatum, the option to just say fuck it, try one more time and pack it in if we fail was present.

Thankfully they pushed us back out  on track without flaming us after we ran off trying to avoid contact (that's according to our driver at the time) and we ran the rest of Sunday with the new fuel pump

We also would like to apologize for holding up the top ten after the restart Sunday, we were pitted when the track shutdown and the guy let us stay out there - unfortunately our driver did not realize yellow does not mean slow if there's no one in front of you and a lot of impatient actual racers behind you waiting to get back in the action.

TheEngineer wrote:

NHMS NEVER lets us walk the track, and so the first time they do in a while you guys go and ruin it for us by riding those things (which are never allowed, on any track) and leaving trash out there? Cool.

Damn, that's too bad. Whichever Lemons staff we talked too didn't really seem to know what the deal was - we only had a skateboard and were told that was cool - I was a little iffy about it but then I saw 500 bicycles and 2 motorcycles and I was like "oh I guess if we're in the wrong, we're not as bad. Our skateboard kid did get kicked off though, along with the other wheeled vehicles.

I took some pics Sunday. These are from the carousel.

Love the shifting arm...lol
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944261298_0fdeea1b6e_z.jpg

Pretty cool to see an Datsun still actually running...lol
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944804566_8b3298ffd8_z.jpg

I am still amazed this big ol' boat made it to the end. Great job guys!! But you gotta tell me about the Pinto wagon in the pits... smile
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944804656_edb80c1901_z.jpg

This Godzilla Honda was awesome! Too bad it broke while running 2nd... sad
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944997652_e012092e5c_z.jpg

One cool pick up....
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944801336_ebcc56d6af_z.jpg

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

Had a chance to talk with one of the drivers of this car. And had a few laughs with them afterwards when taking their group picture. The 24 hours of Limes were pretty cool guys smile
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944841051_509efb62ba_z.jpg

A scary moment coming into turn 1
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48945037772_a9f3ffcbcc_z.jpg

Another team where one of the drivers took the time and patience to talk to a spectator. These guys were running in the top 15 until right near the end. Think they ended up around 24th or so. Great run guys smile
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48945037557_524753c2fb_z.jpg

OK, guessing these guys blew the motor in the race car and one of the wife's car "just happened" to have the same motor as the race car. Far as I can tell, they pulled the motor from the street car and put it in the race car. They were back out on the track later on. Kudos for the effort guys! smile
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944298508_ff6535a074_z.jpg

My buddy and I were so disappointed to see the Javelin come to a rest in front of us in turns 1 and 2 so close to the end of the race. sad
FWIW-while cleaning up, the sweeper tractor hit more cones than all the racers did all weekend...lol smile
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48945037352_86d6b91ba9_z.jpg

A couple of youtube videos for your entertainment. They're short, but you might see your contraption running... smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1aGJQdzcSA

https://youtu.be/mFFm7DoMsAE

pantalonesconqueso wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Alright, well at least there's a consistency on record. We did sort of smarten up after the warning and took the car for a cruise around the paddock to further diagnose it, but in no way are we putting the car out thinking "well we'll get some laps before it breaks down and we can just get a tow back." Then again, given that ultimatum, the option to just say fuck it, try one more time and pack it in if we fail was present.

Thankfully they pushed us back out  on track without flaming us after we ran off trying to avoid contact (that's according to our driver at the time) and we ran the rest of Sunday with the new fuel pump

We also would like to apologize for holding up the top ten after the restart Sunday, we were pitted when the track shutdown and the guy let us stay out there - unfortunately our driver did not realize yellow does not mean slow if there's no one in front of you and a lot of impatient actual racers behind you waiting to get back in the action.

TheEngineer wrote:

NHMS NEVER lets us walk the track, and so the first time they do in a while you guys go and ruin it for us by riding those things (which are never allowed, on any track) and leaving trash out there? Cool.

Damn, that's too bad. Whichever Lemons staff we talked too didn't really seem to know what the deal was - we only had a skateboard and were told that was cool - I was a little iffy about it but then I saw 500 bicycles and 2 motorcycles and I was like "oh I guess if we're in the wrong, we're not as bad. Our skateboard kid did get kicked off though, along with the other wheeled vehicles.

To the tow part. You're at the mercy of the local workers for opinions. Some tracks have great staff who get what we're doing and think it's great. Some have more serious guys. I'm sure none of them like being out there with us whipping by, especially on days where we put someone down the hill within 10 minutes. Just keep that perspective.

As for track walks, every single track is different. However I've never heard of any that allow motorized vehicles. Most will allow bicycles, but that's it. Skateboards and other similar things are dangerous on NHMS because of the bowl. If you crash, now they have to take you to medical after hours. Like I said, most years that have not let us do a track walk at NHMS, so I was shocked to see the gate open and people headed out Friday night. We grabbed a beer and went walking because we like doing the walks and talking about how to drive the track. It made me sad to see the people out there clearly not looking to learn the track, just ripping around on pit bikes. When we got back in the guy did ask us not to bring beverages with us next time and we very politely apologized and said we would not next time, then thanked them for letting us walk the track.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

18 (edited by stano316 2019-10-23 05:58 AM)

gtopat wrote:

We got screamed at years ago by a wrecker driver at NHMS. No idea why, he was too busy shouting his face red for us to understand. Its not the reason we don't go back (no good places to watch from) but it didn't help. All New England races suck IMHO. Miserable people up there...

Miserable people! We had a great time, and my team said they have never seen me this mellow at a race.  We ran a super clean race, no spins, no flags, nothing.  We were tapped a couple of times by a couple of teams trying to dive in on some turns, but what ever, its racing...its going to happen, and our truck looks like it went through a meat grinder after hitting a wall so a few more dings is no big deal.  On a side note, I think we were super cautious this race because at Thompson we were a disaster, we had a number of black flags, that ended up with our team trying to get a hole in one (which happened in 3 attempts) and waxing a dolphin (Im so happy that didn't end up in a video).  We didn't want to have a repeat of that.  I also learned to kiss up to the corner workers, wave at them in yellows and give them the thumbs up, which were mostly acknowledged by them. 

But miserable people....I didn't see it.

I think because we ran such a clean race it placed us 4th in B and 14th overall...not bad for a pickup truck.

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

General notes:

- You can only get towed so many times. That number is up to the Race Director and the safety crews, either of whom may have decided you were occupying too much of their time.

- You can only get told to "Fix your smoking car" so many times. If your first attempt or two doesn't work, then you're seen as a ticking time bomb for oiling down the track, which is dangerous and time-consuming.

- You only get told to fix a fuel leak once.

- You will very likely be asked to return to the judges/tech for show-and-tell on what you fixed, so spend the extra time to do it safely and correctly.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

General notes:

- You can only get towed so many times. That number is up to the Race Director and the safety crews, either of whom may have decided you were occupying too much of their time.

- You can only get told to "Fix your smoking car" so many times. If your first attempt or two doesn't work, then you're seen as a ticking time bomb for oiling down the track, which is dangerous and time-consuming.

- You will very likely be asked to return to the judges/tech for show-and-tell on what you fixed, so spend the extra time to do it safely and correctly.

This should be a sticky

We got hit twice on Saturday and once on Sunday.  We also got rear ended at Thompson.  I understand that accidents are part of racing, but I'm getting sick of spending money and time repairing damage that we didn't cause. To many yahoos out there that just don't give a *#%@.  I hope that Lemons keeps the hammer down like they did on Sunday. The car that took us out for 2 hours also hit our garage mates, and at least one other team I'd talked to last weekend.

#frustrated

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

therood wrote:

On that note, if you splash some fuel during refueling so as to make a puddle somewhere in the car that will drip out later, clean it up before heading back out on track. It's a shame to use up your only "free" fuel leak violation on something so clearly self-inflicted and avoidable. This has been the case for a significant number of the fuel issues I've seen while judging.

Even better of course is to not splash fuel around in the first place, but, you know, just in case it happens anyway.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

squidrope wrote:

We got hit twice on Saturday and once on Sunday.  We also got rear ended at Thompson.  I understand that accidents are part of racing, but I'm getting sick of spending money and time repairing damage that we didn't cause. To many yahoos out there that just don't give a *#%@.  I hope that Lemons keeps the hammer down like they did on Sunday. The car that took us out for 2 hours also hit our garage mates, and at least one other team I'd talked to last weekend.

#frustrated

Seems to me that "Lemons" is allowing "speed creep" by not discouraging "cheaty" fast modifications ( giving penalty laps) and allowing newer faster cars, (to increase attendance) and at the same time discouraging slower, older cars (that are now considered "getting in the way, too slow, and a hazard"), and at the same time not encouraging people to build/bring really old cars, shitty builds (by giving them a discount?-I think any team that brings a Class C car should get a voucher for a big discount at their next race!)
All this for the sake of covering their expenses, making more $$, covering their losses at tracks with low turn out, etc.....which I understand).  Its probably tough to discourage paying customers to want to come....

But if you are allowing the pace of the race to increase in speed, seems to me that you will need to cut down on the total number of cars that are allowed to race...so,  many slower cars vs fewer faster cars?...at a race....since too many fast cars at a track (with not the best drivers)==too many accidents).  So is "Lemons" actually to blame that there were too many accidents?  I certainly remember the Lightening race in NJ, and it seemed like there were way too many cars there...and incidents
But then you got to do the math and figure out your profits???
I certainly appreciate "Lemons" being strict about aggressive drivers, not tolerating significant contact....it was encouraging to see them park aggressive drivers on Sunday...they weren't kidding....!

Anyways, where is this all heading??!!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

My thought is it might be good to have two classes and not run them at the same time.
So have the slow/newbie class run for 1 hour, then have the fast class run 1 hour, then back again.

I see a lot of advantages, first being you could actually have more cars racing, just not at the same time, and then maybe entry fees can be less, allowing more paying entries.
And then you can run without a team, just one person could run, because keeping a team together is the most difficult thing that limits participation.  And if you run  half the time, the tires/fuel/brakes/generalwear  is less.

If anyone is "getting hit" a lot, I would encourage them to think about if they may be contributing to the problem.  Our team of 4 cars had very minor incidental contact only all weekend, but we have all been doing this a long time and are pretty good at avoiding bad situations, and have had lots of class C experience to be aware of who is around us and playing nice in the sandbox leaving room for everyone on a crowded track. 

Speed creep is a tough issue.  We are not part of the solution and I know it, and I'm looking forward to getting that overall eventually so we can go back to bringing some class C stuff.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia