Topic: expired harness?

Are expired harnesses legal for the race?  Do they have to be current?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: expired harness?

Expired harnesses are a no no. Even though it is Lemons safety is a big deal and getting bigger with each race.

Pen

depending on the manufacturer, you might be able to send them back and get them re-certified.  you'll have to call and ask them

From 3.5 of the rules:

"All harnesses must be SFI or FIA approved; dated within four years of the race; and properly mounted."

If you have a harness that expires in less than four years, I would still replace it or get it re-webbed.  Many manufacturers will re-web them, for a fee of course, which renews them and allows them to be used for an additional 4-years.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I got a teamtech harness for 50 bucks on cl that I am going to get recertified.  Their harness's look to be wicked expensive, so I think I got a good deal.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

RCI i think will recertify their harnesses for $25 if they're in good shape. anything more than that and you might as well just get new ones. I really like the 3" ones we're running from them.

They charge 135, but try to get a 6 point harness with all the doodads for that much.  The replace all of the webbing.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

8 (edited by bigds01 2010-03-09 08:27 AM)

I just got the harness and the build date is 6/06.  If we are doing the DC race in June, do I need to get it recertified?  Recertification is way more expensive then I thought.

If the race is in June and that is the 4 year anniversary, am I safe to not have to get it recertified?

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

I would think you are safe, but this one is simple.  Email Jay and ask him.  Then print the email and take it with you to the tech inspection.  we had the same situation last year in the coROLLa and got through tech with the email.  Then we replaced the belts after the season.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I thought the cert is good through the end of the month, sort of like registration stickers, but email Jay or Nick for the final say.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I did email Jay.  I am all good.  F'd is the race was July, but all good for June.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible