Topic: What about sumitomo or goodyear tires?

For our caddy-lac, we are looking at high-performance (all-season or summer) sumitomo htr or goodyear eagle.  Any opinions?

Do I want a tire with a high UTQG rating or low?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: What about sumitomo or goodyear tires?

bigds01 wrote:

For our caddy-lac, we are looking at high-performance (all-season or summer) sumitomo htr or goodyear eagle.  Any opinions?

Well, if you want grip, you want low... inverse relationship. I like goodyear for non-performance/long life, but never for the track (except their real race tires, but they practically evaporate, are expensive, and don't have the 190 wear rating minimum!)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

For a heavy car I have been told to shoot for a 300+ treadwear rating with a decent grip on the skid pad. Stating brands doesn't help much but the Goodyears have had better response for their track/high performance tires.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

we run UHPAS - category Goodyear GTs. Not the best grip out there but they're great when the track gets wet and sport a 400 UTQG. Typically the backs last 1-2 full races (including a stint @ CMP) and we can get a day to day and a half up front. Less tire changes = less time in pits = more than makes up for the 1-2sec. you pick up per lap on a track with the "hot" racey tires.

5 (edited by kalpol 2010-03-08 03:11 PM)

bigds01 wrote:

We ran the Sumitomo HTR-200s last year at MSR.  They worked ok but got pretty greasy when hot, and the Fiat is pretty light.  The advantage were that they were cheap and I think we'll be able to get another race out of them.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

I run Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs on my street car and they're fantastic--and 300 treadwear!  I would have them on my Lemons car if they came in my size.

Also if anyone in SoCal wants a set of 13" rims with HTR-200 stickers mounted on them for a discount, pm me.

How will the Sumitomo HTR 200s work for a 2000 lb. car with 13" wheels.  We plan on running 13" wheels and anything wider than a 185 leaves you with one tire option with the necessary treadwear rating...Sumitomo.  Thoughts?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Just to throw this out there, our Falken Azenis lasted two complete races.

Started with six tires at TH.
We made a front tire swap for the last 1.5 hours.

At Sears we ran four tires for the entire race.

I think we could get by with just buying two tires for the next race.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Lemonious Monk wrote:

How will the Sumitomo HTR 200s work for a 2000 lb. car with 13" wheels.  We plan on running 13" wheels and anything wider than a 185 leaves you with one tire option with the necessary treadwear rating...Sumitomo.  Thoughts?

Our HTR200s lasted all of Nelson Ledges (about 17 hours on track) on our 1950lb civic.  We thought they had pretty good grip, but our only point of comparison was the chinese winter tires that we ran our first race on.  The sumitomos look like they have another half-race in them too.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

kalpol wrote:

We ran the Sumitomo HTR-200s last year at MSR.  They worked ok but got pretty greasy when hot, and the Fiat is pretty light.  The advantage were that they were cheap and I think we'll be able to get another race out of them.

On the Linco Mark Ate we ran Summitomo HTRZ-II tires.  They were OK the first time but after a few heat ( overheat ) cycles they got very slick.

Probably doesn't help that they were full depth and we were heavy with a big tailhappy V8 throwing lots of heat into them.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Don't go all-season.  These have some mud/snow handling compromises that will not help at all in any type of racing condition.  Summer only tires generally perform better in the rain anyway since they primarily have continuous channels - all season tires have a lot of dead-end sipes for snow/mud traction, which makes hydroplaning worse.  All-season tires will also make more heat from tread squirm.

To make them last, stay away from making them squeal like a pig in every corner.  Tires will only give you so much.  Pushing them until the squeal like a pig only makes more heat, not more speed.  Remember, smooth = fast. big_smile