1 (edited by Winging it 2010-03-07 10:05 PM)

Topic: Sears Pointless, what a success!

Wow! What a fun weekend. First off I would like to say thank you to Infineon for the awesome staff. The flagging was superb! Secondly I would like to thank the judges. Even though my team and I are horrible drivers and spent way too much time in the penalty area I thought that they were awesomely fair. With the exception of that flip I think things went very smooth.  I cant wait till next year so that we will hopefully be allowed to grace Infineon's surface with our shit piles again!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Re: Sears Pointless, what a success!

That's good to hear. I've been keeping an eye on the coverage but so far it has been dominated by the controversial rollover from the ONSET Cavalier. I'm glad that didn't put a damper on the weekend for everyone.

By tomorrow there will be an extensive report on Jalopnik and the rollover won't seem like the focus of the weekend. Congrats to everyone that raced and get well soon Tyler from team ONSET.

Duncan345 wrote:

That's good to hear. I've been keeping an eye on the coverage but so far it has been dominated by the controversial rollover from the ONSET Cavalier. I'm glad that didn't put a damper on the weekend for everyone.

By tomorrow there will be an extensive report on Jalopnik and the rollover won't seem like the focus of the weekend. Congrats to everyone that raced and get well soon Tyler from team ONSET.

I'm the weekend editor, so you might have to wait until next weekend for extensive Jalopnik coverage (was just way too busy all weekend and way too exhausted last night to post as much as I usually do).

This was indeed one of the best races we've ever run. Lots of heroic fixes, lots of IOE contenders, and an exciting 3-way battle for the overall win that lasted well into Sunday. Great track, too- total pros across the board at Infineon.

I have to say that I was very, very impressed with the driving this weekend!  I sort of expected calamity, and when there were huge accordian backups during the yellow-flag pace laps, my worst fears were being confirmed.  I was pretty sure the 3a and the motorcycle chicane were going to be huge choke points.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  Car were going 2 and 3 wide through the chicane without contact.  Sure, that corner did provide the most entertainment of the weekend, but for the most part, drivers "got it".

Huge props to all of you who never drove Infineon before and came out and did well this weekend.  Infineon is one of the most technical race tracks in the country, if not THE most, so job well done.

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks for having us.

We all had a great time on and off the track.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15488-1268019725_thumb.jpg

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15488-1268019880_thumb.jpg

This pretty much sums it up for me!!

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15488-1268019935_thumb.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Trekkor, which award did you get?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

At the awards, there was an award for the "Good", the "Bad" and the "Ugly" Filthy came home with the "Bad" award. We still aren't totally sure what it means...

KT

Congrats, Trekkor and team!  Seems like every time I looked up, I saw your car on the track somewhere, passing cars.  As opposed to the #51 mercedes or #106 camaro - every time I looked up, they were in the dirt on the outside of Turn 9a...  smile

You guys learned quickly and drove a great race with the endurance mindset.  Minimize time in the pits.  Circulate, circulate, circulate.

Good on ya!

Dean

We were ranked 10th place in about the third hour on Sunday...

I know the standings were not combined but it totally stoked us up.
Being able to give that call over the radio to my driver actually added 3 HP!!

KT

I loved seeing the guy driving the Saab convertible pass my RV on Highway 37 going towards Vallejo last night wearing the suit and balaclava with the DMV temp tag taped to the rollbar. 

Hardcore!  I froze my ass off just standing up above turn 2 spotting for our team Sunday afternoon - I can only imagine how cold you were.

I can totally see the scene from Planes Trains and Automobiles playing in my head...

"Do you feel this vehicle is safe for highway travel?"

"Yes, yes I do."

You sir, are my hero.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

trekkor wrote:

We were ranked 10th place in about the third hour on Sunday...

I know the standings were not combined but it totally stoked us up.
Being able to give that call over the radio to my driver actually added 3 HP!!

KT

One of my favorite parts of the race was watching one of your drivers battling the C4 Corvette.  Where else but Lemons would this ever happen?

Team The Homer

One of the drivers in the V8olvo told me Sunday evening as we were packing up (he had a huge smile on his face) :  'So there I was going into turn 2 and I had a choice of Hotdog or Hambuger,  how fantastic it that?'      Of course he was referring to the wiener mobile and the fir burger car.

I will forever remember watching a Wiener out-drag a 12 cyl Jag out of turn 11, where else but Lemons...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

battling the C4 Corvette.

If that was in the final hour of the race on Sunday, that was me.

KT

trekkor wrote:

battling the C4 Corvette.

If that was in the final hour of the race on Sunday, that was me.

KT

Yeah, that was it.  Friggin fantastic!

Team The Homer

I thought the race went surprisingly well considering the difficulty level of the track.  Best part of the race for me was racing with (Scott I think) the Evil Genius Volvo on the last lap.  Got around him in 2 when he was hung up in traffic, spotter radio'd me this was last lap and to cool it down so I was loafing down to 9 when he comes up and passes me under braking.  Oh yeah!?  Caught back up to him at 11 where he gave me the inside line.  Drag race out of 11 all the way to the finish line, not even sure who won.  It was awesome. We were so busy giving each other macho thumbs up after the start/finish line I almost drove off track at 1. 

Funny part was I thought it was all my brain fade, except Scott (horrible remembering names) came up afterward with a beer saying he thought he about ran me off the track.  Classic!

-Andy
500 Buck Chuck Crown Vic

Well done all the way around. Lemons is funny as hell, but it ain't no joke!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs503.snc3/26455_1380150390365_1430090650_31050201_4888547_n.jpg

KT

Andy - it was Scott in the Death Cab on the last lap, and he recounted with the same excitement your last lap battle.  Glad the V8olvo could impart a little joy into someone's life smile

Here's a little "battle" I had with Clay on Saturday.

http://www.vimeo.com/9979427

I tried to be a little more conservative in my decision making/driving than the Thunderhill event, and the result was that I didn't T-Bone any small British cars this race... So that's an improvement.

Cheers,

Dean

Winging it wrote:

thank you to Infineon for the awesome staff. The flagging was superb!

I don't think that can be stressed enough.  Made my job (driving poorly) much easier, and nearly the entire track staff were real pros!

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

The flagging was fantastic, but the supply chain management for the fuel pumps was not - running out of 91/97 octane not once but twice?  In retrospect we should have siphoned gas out of our tow vehicle or tried to bum gas from a broken down team, because the Corvair was not happy at all with 100 octane.

Even so, the weekend was a blast, especially once we found our long-lost third gear late Saturday.  Coming out of the slower turns stuck in fourth gear sucked ass... nothing to do but stay way to the left and wait for the revs to get over 2500.  Sadly, I don't think our low-budget motor rebuild could handle the stress of prolonged high power output, as it was pretty down on power even before the 100 octane fiasco.

Agreed, this was my favorite Lemons race of 5 so far. The track was incredible, flagging superb, heck even the driving was almost better than sub-par. Aside from the boneheads that get their kicks weaving over to pinch off 20+mph closing speed in the middle of a strait, of course.

Still, the true all-night race at Streets in that *other* series was at least 2x the fun factor. Lemons NEEDS more true 24 hour races, they're so much better.

That being said, I'll run every event at Infineon they can book. It was incredible.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

gielamonster wrote:

Lemons NEEDS more true 24 hour races, they're so much better.

That being said, I'll run every event at Infineon they can book. It was incredible.

Yeah, I was *so* bummed when Reno/Fernley closed.  I so want to do at least *one* 24 hour event

Team The Homer

Just in case there was any question, that was us getting our butt passed (one of many times) by the Death Cab.  Loads of fun staying out of your way guys!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I want to also weigh in on the excellent flagging and the professionalism of the safety crews.  We had the unfortunate need to get to know the tow guys personally Saturday morning when we were struggling with fuel issues misdiagnosed as ignition issues for half the day.  We even got a little "message" from the judges that it would be a good idea to "not have to get towed in again"...

I thought it was great that the corner workers went out of their way to get in to the Lemons spirit with costumes and "attitude" during the race.  During a FCY, I even stopped to do a little "smoke show" for the turn 9a workers, which they seemed to appreciate.  I would have done donuts, but you just never know how that's going to go over with race control...

Dean