Topic: Most Reliable Engine for swapping

Hello Folks,

Just wondering here ... what is the best engine to swap into a car?  I heard people say "jaguar v-8 is unkillable",  "Cadillac 4100 V-8", "ford duratec V-6",  "Saab 4 cyl " in a nissan 300Z, etc.

So, not to start a Flame War, but
what do you reckon is the best
V-8?
6?
4cyl?  Turbo 4?

Thanks!
Yours in EngineSwappatude

Re: Most Reliable Engine for swapping

93-97 Infiniti j30 and 90-96 300zx carry the same +210hp cast iron engine, VG30DE, not the lightest but after some PCV rerouting we had one make it through 5 years, 30,000 miles of endurance racing starting with  +1000,000 unknown mile unit. Changed 2 sets of rod bearings. never removed the heads nor pull out of the car for any reason, still running but  in storage with blow by.  The only thing that kills em is overheating.
:
Been there, done that tip:

Front or rear sump pan available depending on the donor  car.

Grab the engine from a J30, always automatic and probably saw the dealer for its first life opposed to a 300z that has had every owner mod and beat the snot out of it.

Service the timing belt

Especially this, but with any engine, if the cooling system has rust, pass for a clean example.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

3 (edited by jimbbski 2020-03-07 04:31 PM)

I'm sure others will post this but the Buick V6 seems to be one of the longer lasting engines in Lemons.  A well designed engine that was developed and improved through out it's production life.  Any engine that can run at Indy  and win races in various types of pro racing just reinforces that fact.

How many engines can say that they were sold as a NA engine, a turbo version, and a supercharged version as well.

The Ford mod motor 4.6 seems to be near unkillabe in Lemons, and dirt cheap with amazing parts availability

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

I believe the math was done years ago on the most reliable engine in Lemons was the Alfa V6.  Sample size is small but races run is large.

We are partial to the Buick 3800 as it has been (engine only) infinitely reliable in Lemons with about 18 races on our van and 6-9 iwith a supercharged and tuned in our '47 Plymouth.

Now everything else GM around the engine...mediocure, poor, abysmal, downright trash.  Transmission were our worst nightmares with wiring a close second and either ignition components or steering third...and the craptastic front brakes we replaced pretty darn quick with massively upgraded stuff (still off-the-shelf GM or Ford parts).

billstewartx wrote:

...Saab 4 cyl...

This is the correct answer. Put one of these in pretty much anything and the judges will be pleased.

https://giantclassiccars.com/uploads/photoalbum/1974-saab-sonett-v4-engine-rare-barn-find-fiberglass-body-clean-title-3.JPG

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Obviously, it is the I6 of a BMW.
However, me thinks the best engine is the Volvo I5 with a turbo.  They are light make great power and were made for a long time, many had trans issues so good engines are plentiful in the junkyards.
However, I am not aware of many running in Lemons to know how they hold up.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Obviously, it is the I6 of a BMW.

I don't know, and so I have to ask: is the above statement facetious?

OnkelUdo wrote:

I believe the math was done years ago on the most reliable engine in Lemons was the Alfa V6.  Sample size is small but races run is large. .

i do love Alfas. V-6 or 4 Cyl.
But
the V-6 is rare. Have not been able to put my greasy paws on one , and have been looking for a while.
At least one with all its parts still attached, like the heads, sump, etc.

Sonic wrote:

The Ford mod motor 4.6 seems to be near unkillabe in Lemons, and dirt cheap with amazing parts availability

So you are talking about the iron block SOHC 2 valve? or the Aluminum block DOHC  4 valve?
Seems old Lincolns/ Fords have either one for the taking in the local Pick-A-Part...

This is the correct answer. Put one of these in pretty much anything and the judges will be pleased.

that is some double digit throbbing-Ford V-4 Taunus power there...

depends on what you want... Chrysler /6 is a good mill, but not too great for power.  A 305 GM mill from the late 80's early 90's is good. Lots up power upgrades. keep it under 5500 and you are good.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

billstewartx wrote:
Sonic wrote:

So you are talking about the iron block SOHC 2 valve? or the Aluminum block DOHC  4 valve?
Seems old Lincolns/ Fords have either one for the taking in the local Pick-A-Part...

The most basic level, boat anchor, in every panther and half the f-150s spec.  So I’m stressed they never seem to die.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Look at what cars have won and what engine they use.
The Track-T GT dominated with a Ford 5.0.  However, 5.0 went out of production 20 years ago now, not very common anymore.
A big unstressed motor in a light car is a winning formula. 

Has anyone yet run a Flathead Ford V8?

With a sample size of one, I am going to say Redblock. I can seem to kill it. I have blown a head gasket due to lean conditions, had a burnt valve that caused 20 psi boosting at 4500 rpm, and some of my drivers come in at the end of their shift saying the oil pressure light was blinking so they took it easier in the corners so it wouldn’t blink so much.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Look at what cars have won and what engine they use.
The Track-T GT dominated with a Ford 5.0.  However, 5.0 went out of production 20 years ago now, not very common anymore.
A big unstressed motor in a light car is a winning formula. 

Has anyone yet run a Flathead Ford V8?

Flatheads get hot in most circumstances. I don't think it's a very good choice for this. As for other Ford V8s, I think they work pretty well. Don't know what the CA junkyards are like, but here in Phoenix, 5.0, 5.8, and modular V8s are cheap and plentiful. If you can't find a running Crown Vic under $1000 in your neck of the woods, you're not looking hard enough. That will give you a 4.6, matching transmission, and all the wiring and computers needed to run it...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Does anybody have any ideas for something in the ALUMINUM block  genre?
Cast Iron, is... heavy...

Thanks!

Land rover 4.0 Buick engine.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

The 1.9L Saturn engines are actually pretty reliable if you don't beat on them as badly as we do.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I was seriously asking: opinions on the BMW I6? Or is that often swapped out for something else?

I don't think many (any?) people have taken the SOHC Ford Mod out of a Panther or Mustang and put it into something else. Would be curious to see how well it does. That's generally true of the Alfa V6, also. Also, the reliability of that engine sure seems contingent on it being run by ALFA PEOPLE.

GM
- The Buick 3800 is kind of the standard answer for this since there are approximately 15 million of them out there still and they make good torque without being too stressed.
- A few Lemons people swear by the 60-degree V6 family (2.8/3.1/3.4/3.9). They're also narrower and easier to fit in things.
- There's a growing contingent of GM Ecotec apologists in Lemons.
- Small-Block Chevys are a mixed bag.
- There was a Quad 4-swapped Honda CRX once. Need way more of that.
- LS/Vortec swaps - Don't do this. It's lame AF.

FORD
- The 5.0L V8 is still a pretty standard swap. It's been slightly better than the Chevy V8s.
- The handful of Duratec and Zetec swaps have run really well.
- SHO swaps are always preferred. RIP the SHOstang.
- A few have gotten Pinto swaps. Those are still a good choice for a Class C car.

CHRYSLER
- The only swap I can think of was the 4.7L V8 swapped into a 300ZX. It ran alright, possibly only because the main wrench was a lifetime Mopar tech.
- Pentastar V6 is just out there waiting for someone. 305 horsepower in an aluminum V6.

HONDA
- J-Series V6s have been alright. They seem to take a beating well.

MAZDA
- B-Series engines (in everything from Miatas to Festivas) have been some tough MoFos in and out of their original cars.

BMW
- I can't think of a ton of times any BMW engine has been put into something else. They can be finicky, don't think I'd recommend this for a lot of reasons.

SUBARU
- Usually swapped into air-cooled VWs. There have been a couple of really reliable ones and many very unreliable. Generally true of Subaru stuff.

LEXUS/TOYOTA
- The 1UZ V8 from the SC400/LS400 is maybe the best performance swap you can do for cheap. Has a tendency to kill the automatic transmissions and god help you if you need to change the starter.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Saw this back in the day, came away impressed:

http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-forget-l … ine-z-car/

So, I'd recommend one-upping it like this:

- buy 80/90s Volvo 240
- buy 80s/90s Saab 900/9000
- swap drivetrains
- theme on Saturday, win on Sunday!

A Cadillac 4.9 is an aluminum block... just sayin'...  It weighed about 90lbs more than our stock miata motor and is quite compact.  I wouldn't use this motor for anything outside of a Lemons build, but it seems to work quite well for Lemons.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7909/46448871995_6d0eef7557_5k.jpg

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I was seriously asking: opinions on the BMW I6? Or is that often swapped out for something else?

the wiring and computers would be a nightmare.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

the wiring and computers would be a nightmare.

Sooo, the cache of BMW power isn't worth the aggravation... Thanks! That's clear enough to me!