1 (edited by Acid666 2020-03-30 01:09 PM)

Topic: MK1 MR2 Cage height question

We've currently got a guy that's got a whole (removed) cage from an MR2 that we're looking at grabbing and throwing in ours for Lemons.
I'm not sure about the height and the 2" from top of helmet to the top bar since this one has two different heights
As far as getting it into the car (my first question) he's mentioned that we can just cut the top of the car off and drop the cage in, then reweld the top back on with some supporting braces along the A-pillars after we weld it back together. Personally I'm not a huge fan of ripping the top off, but it is what it is and we'll do whatever it takes to get it in the car.

We'll need to create the boxes/spreader plates, but I think it's doable with time and elbow grease just making each corner fit.
As for the height, can anyone comment on what Tech would say about the 2" rule? As in are they going to base this 2" off of the taller front bar, the shorter driver's side bar, or the lowest point where the helmet would technically contact. We haven't fit a seat into ours yet, so I don't know measurements of where it's all going to land. And I just got word of this cage so I don't know dimensions.

https://i.imgur.com/MAN8w3D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qacyUPT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IvMDXLv.jpg

Re: MK1 MR2 Cage height question

It is possible but I would not recommend it unless you are VERY good at welding and fabrication, Cages don't 'just fit' usually.
Your question of the top bar should be referred to TEO John Pagel. send pics and ask your questions directly. He's the Man.
Manny

3 (edited by Acid666 2020-04-03 07:23 PM)

Mkotzias wrote:

It is possible but I would not recommend it unless you are VERY good at welding and fabrication, Cages don't 'just fit' usually.
Your question of the top bar should be referred to TEO John Pagel. send pics and ask your questions directly. He's the Man.
Manny

Totally agree here. I'm not a fan of ripping the top off not only because I'd rather not deal with it, but lining it up and warping from the welds.... Sorry, I don't think it's as easy as just thinking about it. We'll likely go another route. Appreciate the opinions guys

Acid666 wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

Manny

Yeah my head was in a weird space when he said "He's got it out out of the car" was "Huh?"
I asked if it was a bolt in, because I've never really heard of anyone ripping a whole cage out and keeping it intact.
I knew right away that it's a lot more complicated than just dropping it in and boom we're done. So I think we may have to pass and just do it from the ground up and take our time.

I THINK it is the top most bar that matters but that would be up to Pagel. That being said, cutting the roof off of a fixed roof vehicle is dangerous. The roof is a structural member and removing it removes a lot of structure rigidity and getting it welded back correctly will be tough.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

5 (edited by -SDR- 2020-04-04 05:34 AM)

I have built three racecars with either used cages or new cages by cutting the roofs off and welding them back on.  The roof removal and reinstall was the easy part, and never an issue.  You need to support the car so it does not flex while you do it.  Once the cage is in it provides far more structure than the stock roof.  Convertibles run in LeMon's too......

Also, for the 2" rule, keep under the main hoop and the front A pillar connector and you are fine.  It would not hurt to add a bar like the one that connects the A pillars between it and the main hoop.

ADDED: You might want some sort of a head containment seat. Also, you might have issues getting proper spreader plates installed to that cage.  Hard to tell how much you have to work with based on those photos.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2