Topic: Pading for Kirkey race seat

I have a Kirkey 71 seat with the Kirkey seat cover, but I could use a bit more seat padding. Can I just throw in some memory foam, or does it need to meet some SFI spec?

https://www.amazon.com/Upholstery-Recom … 07K7TDGL8/

Any suggestions?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Pading for Kirkey race seat

Looking at the factory Kirkey seat padding, I doubt its fire resistant.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Fire retardant is better. I've seen pads both ways and don't think our OE foam or cover is fire retardant as SDR said.

One of our team members has made several lumbar pads out of stacked foam like 1/2-1" yoga mats or something. Serious comfort improvement.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We have made cushions out of memory foam with two layers of Nomex covering. Bought a couple of military surplus flight suits cheap online, cut and sewed.  Not SFI specs, but a lot safer than straight foam (imho) and was quick and easy.

"Should" be fire retardant.  With that said I see many teams using what appears to be very flammable cushions to fit different driver sizes.  I also have added flammable memory foam as it makes seat much more comfortable as long as it's not on fire.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

First and foremost, meet the intent of the rules. This being Lemons, they can take their ball and make you go home if they want.

Having performed flammability testing on a lot of materials for my job, I will never tell someone not to worry about flammable materials in a safety critical environment. Having said that, I wouldn't worry about any padding in the seat pan or lumbar area. There is no ignition source if my butt is in the seat covering it, and I don't care what happens to it once I exit the car.

I would worry most about the cover. If it won't burn, it will take quite a while for any padding underneath to ignite. Then I'd worry about the padding in the bolsters where there's only the cover between any fire and the padding. Crap under my butt will never get hot enough to ignite as long as my butt's in the way. (Although I may reconsider how hot the seat padding is when I'm on the track wearing my padded quilt of a racing suit.)

Troy wrote:

...One of our team members has made several lumbar pads out of stacked foam like 1/2-1" yoga mats or something. Serious comfort improvement.

Great idea on the yoga mat, made all the difference.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber