Topic: Golden State drivers are still the worst

424 black flags were racked up by y'all California girls and boys this past weekend.

190 on Saturday alone, which means that you drove worse as the raced progressed.

True, the old record (also set in California) of 520 black flags still stands. And somehow, "only" 424 blacks is an improvement. However, 424 black flags would be the second worst ever, I believe, beating out Buttonwillow's 407.

And yes, I really should keep all these numbers on file somewhere.

But seriously why can't you fools drive?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Golden State drivers are still the worst

Home of the California roll would you expect anything else. smile

Here's another take on this: California has the most observant and attentive corner workers in the country.

PileDriver wrote:

Here's another take on this: California has the most observant and attentive corner workers in the country.

Absolutely.  And some of them wear their bras on the outside of their shirts.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

And some of them are trolls.  That rule.

6 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2010-03-09 04:19 PM)

That's an assload of black flags, but lets have some perspective here.  How many cars did we have in this race?  Over 140?  I bet some other races have a higher black flag per car ratio...

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Rob Stercraw wrote:

That's an assload of black flags, but lets have some perspective here.  How many cars did we have in this race?  Over 140?  I bet some other races have a higher black flag per car ratio...

And you bet wrong

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Okay 150 cars 424 flags or a lowly 2.83 FPC (flags per car)....far better than Thunderhills 3.70 FPC.....

So you COULD say the CA drivers got 23.5% BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Geebus. We need more Lemons stats. They can go in the wiki. I want to see every team's black flags count. So we can start publicly shaming guys on the forum. Maybe instead of post count we should have bf count.

BTW, my bf count after 5 races is 1. Video coming shortly. Went for a late braking outside pass into 9a and "ran out of talent". You'll see what I mean in the video.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

icemang17 wrote:

Okay 150 cars 424 flags or a lowly 2.83 FPC (flags per car)....far better than Thunderhills 3.70 FPC.....

Fair point, as they had 359 black flags at the last Texas ho-down and 125 cars.

That seems pretty close to how lousy the Californians drive

Personally, I have 2 BF's in 3 races... both this weekend.  The first was when I found the oil on Sunday before the corner workers figured it out (bf was for 4 wheels off).    The second was for being in a 3 way, which I do not recall.  I have been trying to get a 3 way for some time now and it finally happened... I figured it would be more memoriable.

My team on the other hand, has not done nearly as well......

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

Judge Jonny wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Pretty darn close at 2.87 FPC for Texas.....I guess they are too close and we rub off on them!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Judge Jonny wrote:
Rob Stercraw wrote:

And you bet wrong

Looks like maybe not - looks like we were slightly better than the Texans!

(Which is a lot like saying you're the smartest idiot)

Wait, whut

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

What the hell is these black flags?????????? 2.83???? UH??

Rob Stercraw wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
Rob Stercraw wrote:

And you bet wrong

Looks like maybe not - looks like we were slightly better than the Texans!

(Which is a lot like saying you're the smartest idiot)

Wait, whut

As Joseph Stalin said, sometimes quantity has a quality all its own.

gielamonster wrote:

BTW, my bf count after 5 races is 1. Video coming shortly. Went for a late braking outside pass into 9a and "ran out of talent". You'll see what I mean in the video.

Here's that video of my first black flag in 5 races...

http://www.vimeo.com/10050030

You might say I was "encouraged" to go 4 wheels off and into the wall. Thanks for the encouragement! I think it says "Don't Be A Dick" on the back of his car too.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing

gielamonster wrote:

You might say I was "encouraged" to go 4 wheels off and into the wall. Thanks for the encouragement! I think it says "Don't Be A Dick" on the back of his car too.

Yeah... I think the ability to race and watch the mirrors before making a sudden lateral move in traffic seems to be beyond the skill level of many Lemons racers. But hey... that's what we need to expect!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

That was just RUDE!

I was a little leery of clicking on the link, as the Death Cab has a Don't Be a Dick sticker on it, and I sometimes leave destruction in my wake (unintentionally, of course!)  Thankfully, it was not us!  Next race we'll have both front and rear facing cameras, so there will be no where for us to hide...

Nice one Dan.  I think you could have avoided that collision though.  Doesn't that fancy data logging stuff tell you what the other drivers are about to do?  I mean what good is it then?

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

To be fair, he was MUCH faster than me. He left me in his dust back at turn 4 and I only caught up due to the traffic jam at 9a. So its not like I had already been breathing down his neck for a few turns. Still, it looked like I could use that white car in front of him as a pick and get a dirty pass on a car or two. Someone in front locked a wheel and panic stopped the white car, so he was probably just diving for open space without checking a mirror. It was a really light rub against the wall, didn't cause any damage. And Judge Johnny mercifully sent me on my way without even a scolding after I "confessed" to my crime. So it really only hurt us a lap or two.

I just made excuses for the OTHER guy! Is that a Lemons first? Do I get a trophy?

I just rewatched the rest of that video, my "buddy" didn't even pit after his oops. I'm sure my friends in the booby trap saw it though, it was right in front of them. Hopefully he got a little more "justice" applied.

21 (edited by Mulry 2010-03-10 07:27 AM)

FWIW, I've now driven Lemons races in Texas, Ohio, and now in California at Infineon. While I've seen ridiculous, absurd, and preposterous driving at every venue and from seemingly every make, model, and year of car (except for the Citroen, which was always very courteous, what with its "Pass Here -->" instruction), the driving at Infineon was without question the most aggro I've ever seen at Lemons events.

Faster cars often seemed unable to be patient enough to pass in a good safe place (like on the straight after 11, or on the dragstrip, or between 4 and 6, just to name 3 easy spots) and often had an irresistible and undeniable urge to stick it in the middle and make Turn 7 a three- wide turn or insist on making the left side of 9a -- after the tires were kicked out into the middle of the turn, no less -- into a 2-wide turn. Turn 2 is not a 3-wide turn in any time/space continuum but I saw cars trying to make it that way, often to their own peril.

Like I said, there's crazy stuff at all Lemons events, but to me, what stuck out as different is the uber-aggressive shoot-the-gap and dive-bombing that passed for common at Infineon.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast and can't wait to do it again! But there _is_ a difference in how the races are raced on the West Coast versus in Texas and the Midwest. Cheers!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

(except for the Citroen, which was always very courteous, what with its "Pass Here -->" instruction)

Thanks for noticing-- We painted that on the trunk late Saturday because,  despite hugging the left side of the track and driving with a perpetual point-by to the right, the black crown vic (969?) came up and squeezed by on the left of the car TWICE right before left hand turns. No harm was done, though. And I'll admit that early Saturday when my brother was driving there is a chance that he didn't hug the left as much as I did but we talked about it and I set him straight by late Saturday.

BUT on Sunday when we had the rear all painted up and we sChITROEN pilots were staying as far left as safe and everyone was passing us on the right, #12 Double Fartini1 decided to be the only car-- THE ONLY CAR who passed us on the left and caused other cars to nearly crash/go four off both friggin' times. Right after it caused the second 4-off in the final turn approaching the chicane, it THEN didn't like that it was caught behind the next wad of traffic on the left side of the track and in a millisecond shot completely to the right side like some impatient tween girl waiting stageside trying to catch a glimpse of the Jonas Brothers.

After my stint, I was about to go have a word with them but when I saw their totermansion and that they were fielding TWO porsches I understood that they just don't "get it".

I'm hoping that by our next race (Thunderhill?) that it will be sorted enough so that we don't need to point EVERYONE by and can actually put our foot down for more than 4 laps before overheating.

icemang17 wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Pretty darn close at 2.87 FPC for Texas.....I guess they are too close and we rub off on them!!

A fair chunk of the BF's in Houston were due to spins after the rains came. (It was like people had never heard of a "wet-line" or anything...)

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Mulry wrote:

FWIW,  the driving at Infineon was without question the most aggro I've ever seen at Lemons events.

Faster cars often seemed unable to be patient enough to pass in a good safe place (like on the straight after 11, or on the dragstrip, or between 4 and 6, just to name 3 easy spots) and often had an irresistible and undeniable urge to stick it in the middle and make Turn 7 a three- wide turn or insist on making the left side of 9a -- after the tires were kicked out into the middle of the turn, no less -- into a 2-wide turn. Turn 2 is not a 3-wide turn in any time/space continuum but I saw cars trying to make it that way, often to their own peril.

This topic is totally in the eye of the beholder, as I did not see that much aggro stuff at Infineon, we were at the same race and saw the same things, but I can assure you I have seen much much worse at other races on the same track. 

Personally of the 3 Lemons events I have been to this was the best.  The first being an Altamont races, that is a give nothing take everything sort of track.  Then Thunderhill (freeze your arse off apoloza 2008), there are things I saw that day that actually scared me.  Nothing that happened while I was on the track this weekend scared me.

As for "safe" places to pass, that is very debateable.  Remember some of the cars that might have passed you between turn 2 and the essess, probably were not faster than you.  In fact I can tell you with our crap can, the only place I could pass was between turn 2 and the essess.   After that I was lucky to just hold position.   Do I think I made these passess safely, I do.   

Someone above made the comment that the key to driving safe at Lemons is being able to drive looking forward and backwards at the same time, that is ohh so true.  Knowing what is going on behind you is just as important as knowing what is going on infront of you.  In fact I would venture to say that most contact happens because someone does not know what is going on behind them as they are so overwhelmed by what is going on in front of them.

Just my .02

Rick
#98 We Each Hit Paseo

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

6 California races, 0 black flags. Guess I'm doing okay, although I have been lucky enough to not get caught a few times smile

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.