Topic: Over-aggresiveness and losing it all

So, we saw this a couple of times this past weekend. Before we go any further, always remember our (probably stolen) mantra, "You can't win the race on one pass, but you sure can lose it."

So the 928 came in and we gave them the Chemical Ali. I've never seen humans work so fast. They got all 20 air fresheners on in record time and were out. Only problem was, they did the penalty so fast that they were immediately black flagged in again because race control thought there was no way they could have already served their time. In other words, spazzing out and doing a pretty lousy job with the Little Trees cost them more time than they would have spent if they had just calmed down and taken their penalty.

Then there's POS. You know, the F'ed Up BMW that was leading the race after Saturday.

They came in for a black -- there first -- and normally we just give first time offenders a wave through. They were hella anxious to get back on the track. So anxious in fact that they blasted out of black flag in the wrong lane and "drifted" around Jay, Jay's mother and Jay's father at 35 mph.

Meaning that they were instantly sent back to us. I wasn't sure what had happened and figured they had been let out so quickly that race control sent them back to see us. Only thing was, Jay had sent them back. Jay then proceeded to chew their asses in a manner I've usually seen Jay reserve only for people he's tossing out of the race.

I think he said something to the effect of, "You've just fucked yourselves out of first place."

In other words, if F'ed Up had just slowly, calmly and dare I say smartly made their way back to the track, they might have won the whole Megillah.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Over-aggresiveness and losing it all

Judge Jonny wrote:

So the 928 came in and we gave them the Chemical Ali. I've never seen humans work so fast. They got all 20 air fresheners on in record time and were out.

I was behind them when they came back out.  That car f'ing stunk.  I mean, after sucking fumes from a handful of smoking japanese hulks - to get assaulted by that unholy artificial "freshness" completely out of context was just plain wrong.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

When our driver, Mike, got the Chemical Ali treatment he said his eyes started to water while driving out on the track.  Then he had to sit for 45 mins in the car during the Red flag with all those freshly opened fresheners.   

Ahhhh, watery eyes on the track, is that a safety issue?

BushWacker wrote:

Means it's time to torture your next driver.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

BushWacker wrote:

This happened to me, following the orange Mustang II around during a long full-course yellow at Gator-o-rama.  That car was fuming so much that after a lap or two I couldn't see, my eyes were watering so badly. I dropped back, and back, and was still enveloped in a cloud of Mustang effluvia.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

I saw the F'ed Up guys blast out of the penalty area and mash on the throttle...  And then right by Jay and Fam...  "The Wrath of Jay" was dispensed.  Yikes...

Like I heard someone say somewhere else, they cracked under the pressure of having the lead.  Those guys were pretty cool to chat with, I was bummed for them when I saw it all go down.  They totally shot themselves in the foot.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

7 (edited by POSRacing 2010-03-10 10:30 AM)

craznoe wrote:

I saw the F'ed Up guys blast out of the penalty area and mash on the throttle...  And then right by Jay and Fam...  "The Wrath of Jay" was dispensed.  Yikes...

Like I heard someone say somewhere else, they cracked under the pressure of having the lead.  Those guys were pretty cool to chat with, I was bummed for them when I saw it all go down.  They totally shot themselves in the foot.

Video of me being a dick. Don't be a dick. It will cost you a win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btGOfuilzrU

BTW- it wasn't 35. It was 18. You can see the speedo. I'm still VERY in the wrong, but not "guns blazing dangerous" that it was made out to be. A mistake that myself and my team will NEVER make again. Such a rook move.

craznoe wrote:

I must have missed something here.  Yes the driver was going a little too fast, but to say he "blasted" out of the penalty box seems inaccurate per that video.  From what you guys said I thought he left skid marks upon exiting.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I thought maybe Jay was offering you a bite of his sandwich big_smile

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

POSRacing wrote:
craznoe wrote:

BTW- it wasn't 35. It was 18. You can see the speedo. I'm still VERY in the wrong, but not "guns blazing dangerous" that it was made out to be. A mistake that myself and my team will NEVER make again. Such a rook move.

Awesome -- you almost hit Knuckles, too.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

POSRacing wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Hahahah Jay and his sandwich bringing down the doom.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

VKZ24 wrote:
craznoe wrote:

I must have missed something here.  Yes the driver was going a little too fast, but to say he "blasted" out of the penalty box seems inaccurate per that video.  From what you guys said I thought he left skid marks upon exiting.

I was 30' away from the exit to the garage and I don't think I'm exaggerating...  Engine noise, the horn honking, he was bound to grab the attention of anyone in his way...  Unfortunately it was Jay.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

It's pretty common for drivers to rev their engines to express their urgency when trying to get back to RACIN', but it makes the car seem quite menacing.

I saw a few drivers attempt to express their urgency to get back to RACIN' in Houston since we were right by the entrance.  Not very effective. 

Drivers note: Texas attitude especially doesn't really work with that. 

There was an inverse relationship to how attractive/important the pedestrian and how quickly (if) they moved out of the way.  A few, apparently very important, women seemed to want to give the driver as much time as possible of a backside view after a rev.

Same thing they warn for team motorcycle races.  You'll only lose a race in the pits.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

kalpol wrote:
POSRacing wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Hahahah Jay and his sandwich bringing down the doom.

You shoulda at least taken a bite of Jay's sandwich.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Judge Jonny wrote:

So, we saw this a couple of times this past weekend. Before we go any further, always remember our (probably stolen) mantra, "You can't win the race on one pass, but you sure can lose it."

So the 928 came in and we gave them the Chemical Ali. I've never seen humans work so fast. They got all 20 air fresheners on in record time and were out. Only problem was, they did the penalty so fast that they were immediately black flagged in again because race control thought there was no way they could have already served their time. In other words, spazzing out and doing a pretty lousy job with the Little Trees cost them more time than they would have spent if they had just calmed down and taken their penalty.

I thought the car smelled quite lovely when I got in Sunday afternoon.....nice and refreshing.....  BTW that was our ONLY flag for the weekend!!  Quite an improvement from last time!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

POSRacing wrote:

BTW- it wasn't 35. It was 18. You can see the speedo.

18mph is still > 5mph.

The limit is 10 mph.

We take this one extra seriously because:

1) Believe it or not, the paddock is the most dangerous place at the track. In the last two races, I've been hit twice by idiots. Innocent (not counting me) bystanders not wearing helmets and not five-point strapped into roll cages die very easily when hit.

2) Do you want to be the guy that has to live the rest of his life knowing he ran over a child (or dog) in the paddock because he was in a hurry to get back on a Lemons track? As the race truly is pointless, calm down.

Judge Jonny wrote:

2) Do you want to be the guy that has to live the rest of his life knowing he ran over a child (or dog) in the paddock because he was in a hurry to get back on a Lemons track? As the race truly is pointless, calm down.

Serious.  This is my #1 fear when I am driving - has nothing to do with Lemons.  It would kill me personally inside if I hit a kid, my fault or not.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

The glaring pedestrians scampering out of the way is a sure sign you're doing it wrong.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

I was standing RIGHT there when this happened.  I must admit that from the outside it did seem very egregious.  From inside, it doesn't seem that way at all (although 18>5, for sure).

I'm usually the guy yelling "slow down" to cars going too fast through the pits, but as I came in after my last stint on Sunday, someone yelled it at me...  The lesson to be learned?  Speeds from outside (where the kids, dogs and judges are) seem MUCH greater and unsafe than they do inside the car, and that is very easy to forget.

One of the things we normally do at *real*endurance races is have the spotter ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS remind the driver more than once as they are coming off track and as they are leaving the pit spot: FIVE MPH.  We didn't do that this time and clearly I needed a reminder at least once.  I'll bet that would have saved the race for POS, too...

Dean

22 (edited by POSRacing 2010-03-10 04:24 PM)

I'm just glad that I've learned my lesson without anyone getting hurt. I was a dick. Don't be a dick.

Again, I was wrong. Even though I wasn't going 35mph or "mashing on the throttle", I was doing something that was dangerous, lame, stupid, and potentially cost my team mates the podium. It will NEVER happen again.

The reason I posted the video is BECAUSE is doesn't LOOK fast, even though it WAS. I'm hoping others can learn from my mistake as well, and make the races safer, and more enjoyable for all involved.

I carry the burden of shame for my mistake, but don't judge me on that... judge me on how I recover from my mistake.

Thank you.

It shows a lot of humility on POSRacing's part to post a video of 'the incident.'  Props to you for facing the inevitable criticism head on.

Eyesore Jay wrote:

It shows a lot of humility on POSRacing's part to post a video of 'the incident.'  Props to you for facing the inevitable criticism head on.

+1

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

25 (edited by hajie 2010-03-10 04:50 PM)

ryoung99 wrote:
Eyesore Jay wrote:

+1

Yep +2,  I think Shakespeare said it best-"It takes a real man to call himself a dick"  well maybe it wasn't Shakespeare but I bet he wishes he would have said it.

I want to live or die trying.