1 (edited by raceneely 2010-03-10 05:15 PM)

Topic: Lemons FOR LIFE

Hello all,

I Thought I would jump on here and give a big thumbs up to the brilliant creators of this series and the staff of the Sears Pointless event. I have to say it was the most fun I've had racing in 34 years since beginning in go karts as a kid at age 10.

This series will put numerous more nails in the collected coffins of the various other Club Road Racing organizations nationwide as we know them.  There are plenty of semi & pro race series at or near the top of the racing food chain to race in for mid to large dollars. So why race in Club Regionals, Nationals and such for bragging rights against 5 of your buddies in an undersubscribed class where the only people watching were the people that wanted to get on the track next?

And why race in one of these "serious club road race organizations" for nothing but a plastic trophy and your name in the club newsletter? There are no spectators, there are no cameras, and there is no fame, so why spend the money? If you are going to race, then race at the top, if not then race in reality and race in the 24 Hours Lemons. For me now there is nothing in between. I've done all of the other crap as a Driver, Engineer, Builder, Team Owner, in Trans Am, NASPORT, Regionals, Nationals, Runoffs, this series, that series, I even did 5 years as a Competition Chairman ( UGH ) and it’s all total B.S. let me tell you that.

In the end you have nothing to show for it except the well developed skill of weaving through 45 cars spread out over 15 different classes in your run group for a 25 minute race, and memorizing the other 48+ classes competing that weekend so you can explain them to your friends the time they tag along for the first and the only time they watch you.

If you are looking for a real driving experience I challenge you to enter the Carousel at Infineon full clip in 4th gear approaching the back of a pack of 14 cars including but not limited to the following vehicles, one giant Weiner Mobile, 2 Volkswagens with 10 speed bikes bolted to the roof, A car that looks like it’s from a bad Sci-Fi flick, a car with a giant snack food glued to the roof, a car with a miniature restaurant displayed on the trunk, and to top it off a V-8 powered Taxi Cab that clearly reads "Death Ride" on the back of it (all the while amongst numerous other automobiles that should have long ago traveled back across the seas to China in sea containers as scrap metal ) and to barely come out in front of this group by turn 7A without a black flag penalty or making contact and only to run into another eclectic group of sacrilegiously prepared racing creations entering into turn 11.

So in a nutshell, here is my advice to those of you reading this and thinking of racing Lemons for the first time. Make sure you have done everything in motorsports that you have wanted to accomplish in your career. I assure you that once you race Lemons you may never go back and spend your hard earned money to race with the wannabes, the Jones’, and various other Walter Mitty’s who take themselves way too seriously while they forgo paying their mortgage on time to buy the latest $1,250.00 Penske shock absorber for their overpriced national contender, bragging to their circle of friends that they are a “race car driver”.  I know real race car drivers and they sir are not real race car drivers. The real race car drivers should be on TV. The rest of us will be in 24 Hours Lemons having a blast dodging the dreaded black flag or building IKEA furniture in the penalty box.

Signed Lemons for Life

Tom Neely
Team 510

Re: Lemons FOR LIFE

+1

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I already tell my friends I'm a race car driver.  But they all know it's bullshit and just Forza or Gran Turismo.  I found out about Lemons less than a year ago and it has grown to an obsession which must be satisfied.  Your comments certainly validate my desire to play with the fun crowd rather than join the local circle jerk kids yelling and screaming at each other over every little thing on their dirt ovals.

Team Merikuh
Omaha '10 wussed out, lost too many drivers sad
"Simplify, then add Awesome"

I agree with everything you said, Tom, except the part where you actually pass the Death Cab.  NO ONE passes the Death Cab!!  smile smile

Seriously, though, Tom, you have articulated exactly what I've been thinking over the last year.  I'd fallen into the trap of the "serious club racer" two years ago.  $6000 miata engines making 120HP.  Tires shaved to 2/32nds that are only good for one or two weekends.  Hours and hours and hours spent on corner balancing and setup for the elusive 1 or 2 tenths.  All, basically, to stroke my own ego to be the fastest, since I've only ever raced in one race that was "profitable" for me.  I've spent enough of my own money racing a spec miata for one season - the equivalent to be able to race 4 Lemons races a year for the next decade...

Last year I took the year off from "serious" spec miata competition and got hooked up with the guys with the V8 volvo.  I've DEFINITELY had more fun racing in the few Lemons races that I've done than in the club races I've been doing for the last 5 years.  Now, I'll still do those, because there IS a different satisfaction that I, personally, get from racing a group of other very similar cars with drivers who DO all know how to pass and drive close to other cars, but it will only be a small component of what I do.  For fun, it is all about Lemons.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that out.  It's articulate, it's true and it's awesome that the BEST form of racing is now so accessible to so many people.

Cheers,

Dean

I would just like to point out that it took the Death Cab V8olvo almost seven turns to pass the hella cheaty Datsun 510 on Friday.

i.e. the hella cheaty 510 is frickin' fast!

The V8olvo is in a class of one. Luckily for Eyesore fuel gremlins abound

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Yes, we've proven for many races that human failings can overcome almost any mechanical advantage!

dtfastbear wrote:

Yes, we've proven for many races that human failings can overcome almost any mechanical advantage!

As my friend Jack said after we campaigned the V8olvo in '08 Altamont race, "We managed to take a podium car to 15th place."

For reals, back at Altamont, the V8olvo had the second fastest lap and the fastest top speed. 70.x mph, which for the straight-free Altamont bull ring was wikkid quick.

Fastest lap? Krider, and their winning (though eventual 1,500 lap) mega-cheater Integra.

Also, look at the Sharks. For the last three or four races they've had the fastest car on the track (I've been appraised of their dyno-numbers--holy fuck!), but still finish mid-pack every time.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

dtfastbear wrote:

I agree with everything you said, Tom, except the part where you actually pass the Death Cab.  NO ONE passes the Death Cab!!  smile smile

YEAH TOM!!!  NO ONE PASSES THE DEATH CAB!!!!!
Well, ahhh, there is a video that........... nah.  wink

TOM-
   Perfectly stated.  Bravo. 

Now back to thinking and planning cheating schemes. Muuuuuaaaahhhhh. lol

Judge Jonny wrote:
dtfastbear wrote:

Also, look at the Sharks. For the last three or four races they've had the fastest car on the track (I've been appraised of their dyno-numbers--holy fuck!), but still finish mid-pack every time.

Hey there Jonny Law, we finished 28th out of 150, after our turbo blew and dropped us back from 19th, at last TH.  And 27th at our maiden outing at MSR 08, even though that was the race we set the Black Flag record of 9 and were kicked off the track with 45 mins left in the race. (Que whining music)  Not always mid pack, mister!!!!
sad  hmm

But your point is more then well noted.  Dean stated it well.  Darn human error.

The Cavalier could keep the Death Cab in sight, but never pass...
We'll be back, no more wagon for us-

it's time to go upscale and enter- Cadillac Country!
We've got the elves out looking for Cimmarons.
Hopefully the motor survived, but there are more junkyard minivans out there if not...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Cadillac? Cimmaron? The Lemons Supreme Court supports your way of thinking

well said.......speaking as a new to "racing" driver....I'm glad I "fell" into Lemons instead of the typical SCCA or NASA trap.....   My 1st real "racing" experience was in Lemons......I went straight from DE-TT to Lemons.....& its safe to say if I ever do race with some other group...it will seem like there is NO traffic.....it will feel like a TT with only 20 cars on track....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Lemons is the best fun I have ever had on track, hands down.

Hooked? Well, yes.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

after spending a ton of cash going straight, then losing all of it in about 8 seconds, i walked away from racing. 
after a bunch of years and 3 kids, a certain lincoln showed up. and i got back into fast(?) cars, thanks to el jefe, tom, bob, mara, and john.
now, tom has this plan for a certain pile of junk. el jefe is thinking about ferrari rims and setback engines(!!!!!!). i have my greasy fingers on a little coupe, that's just begging to be put back together.
my first time road course racing was gator rama. in spite of the ocean of rain, i can say i never had so much fun - well, almost never - in a car.
i will be in Lemons, somehow, from now on. just too cool, is what it is

we would love to do a set-back engine in our mustang / it would handle awesome! I am not sure we have the time to fabricate this. but we have the desire...

I've raced with plenty of SCCA and NASA guys and they really enjoy Lemons.

It's good racing and a good time.

I don't know how fast the 510 was, but were kicking around some 810 plans.

I enjoy the creative freedom we have in Lemons, V8s in places they don't belong, oddly placed turbos, weird crap flapping in the breeze, teams in costumes, it's quite an experience.

Welcome to Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

X-args wrote:

The Cavalier could keep the Death Cab in sight, but never pass...
We'll be back, no more wagon for us-

it's time to go upscale and enter- Cadillac Country!
We've got the elves out looking for Cimmarons.
Hopefully the motor survived, but there are more junkyard minivans out there if not...

There's a Cimarron at the Newark Pick-N-Pull, just waiting to have its grille and emblems swapped onto a Cavalier.

Hold on a second- Cadillac sold a rebadged Cavalier?

We would love to see a Lemons 610, 710, or 810. Especially an 810. In fact, I just saw a 100% complete 810 wagon at the Oakland Pick-N-Pull, if anyone's thinking of building one for Lemons.

I keep saying, Lemons is the most fun I've had with my pants on.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Well said, Tom, and so very true. Now, if Jay can just figure out how run a Lemons rally, us professional rally drivers will have something to turn out backs on.

-Dave

Judge Jonny wrote:

Lucky nothing. The old bacon in the gas tank trick works every time...

-Dave

Lemons is definitely an addiction. smile the best part is once you do it once all you have to do is pay to enter it again you can't upgrade your car smile or at least you're not supposed to if you've already spent your $500 smile

Eyesoreracing wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Lucky nothing. The old bacon in the gas tank trick works every time...

-Dave

hahahaha big_smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

craznoe wrote:

+1

+2.  Lemons has got to be the most fun and affordable W2W racing around.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

25 (edited by raceneely 2010-03-11 08:52 AM)

Thanks all,

For the record Troy was catching the Volvo as he stated but it pulled in the pits when we caught it in 11. Perhaps to avoid embarassment ? Just Kidding.
I also remember passing it once on Saturday in my session, and yes Judge Jonny on Friday testing the death taxi took 7 turns to catch our B drivers.

Neely