Topic: Eyesore Racing's handling secrets revealed!

Every detail about how we managed the stunning accomplishment of making a Miata handle well (wow!)

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Project-Cars/Frankenmiata/Frankenmiata-lead-suspension/688825297_JaJa4-L.jpg
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles … cksaw.aspx

Actually, there should be plenty of useful info for anyone with a Lemon and a calculator. Unless your car is French. I can't help you if your car is French.

-Dave

Re: Eyesore Racing's handling secrets revealed!

This is what we did with our e28 528e Shark.  Got junkyard springs front and back set from a V12 740iL, cut them down, put them in a press, heated them with a torch to bend the end  flat and squeeze in the circumference to fit the perch.  Super stiff.

Eyesoreracing wrote:

?? ?????? ?????????? ????? ??????????? ?????. ?? ????? ?????? ??? ?????? ????????? ??? ?????????? ??????? ??? ??? ?????? ?????? ????? ?? 0.75 ?????? ??? ? ????? Bilstein ????????? ??? ???? ?????? ???. ?? ????? ?????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??? ??? ????????? ???????, ??? ????????, ??????????? ??? ??? ?? ????? ????? ???? ???? ?????????? ???. ??????????? ?? ??????? ?????? ??? ? ???????? ?????? ???? ?????????. ?? ?????, ???? ??????? 2/3 ??? ????????? ??????? ????? ???????? ???? ????? ???????. ????????? ??? ?? ?????????? ??????, ??? ??? ???????????? ??????? ??? ?????????? ??????? ?? ????????? ??? ????? ??? ?? ???? ??????, ???????? ??? ??? ??????? ??????????? ??????? ??????, ??? ?? ??? ?????????? ???? ????? ??? ???????????.

-Dave

Is this some sort of sick joke?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR, PLEASE!!!!
Dirty Eyesore Pro Racer Guys!!!!
Cherry Pickers.  mad

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
Eyesoreracing wrote:

?? ?????? ?????????? ????? ??????????? ?????. ?? ????? ?????? ??? ?????? ????????? ??? ?????????? ??????? ??? ??? ?????? ?????? ????? ?? 0.75 ?????? ??? ? ????? Bilstein ????????? ??? ???? ?????? ???. ?? ????? ?????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??? ??? ????????? ???????, ??? ????????, ??????????? ??? ??? ?? ????? ????? ???? ???? ?????????? ???. ??????????? ?? ??????? ?????? ??? ? ???????? ?????? ???? ?????????. ?? ?????, ???? ??????? 2/3 ??? ????????? ??????? ????? ???????? ???? ????? ???????. ????????? ??? ?? ?????????? ??????, ??? ??? ???????????? ??????? ??? ?????????? ??????? ?? ????????? ??? ????? ??? ?? ???? ??????, ???????? ??? ??? ??????? ??????????? ??????? ??????, ??? ?? ??? ?????????? ???? ????? ??? ???????????.

-Dave

Is this some sort of sick joke?

Yeah, it does seem like they could get into trouble with too many simplifying assumptions underlying their calculations.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Trust me... there are no mis-calculations with the eyesore Miata.  Dave is umm... REALLY good at this.

It's almost like you do this for a living

That's nothing on our "blobs of metal" welding technique that allows for endless adjustments.

pfft... math.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4425317227_eecdd1217a_o.jpg

Indeed, if you rely solely on calculations, you'll likely end up with crap. Less likely than if you do it blindly, though.

What didn't get stated all that clearly in the story (because eventually you have to stop typing and push the publish button or nothing will ever get done), is that you all this calculating has to be backed up with testing.

We cut the springs at least 1/4-coil longer than calculated for our first try, and we made that adjustable rear bar out of our old front bar so we could try some different assumptions. Turns our our first assumption was pretty good, though.

-Dave

Where is the write up on adding the 2nd shock in the rear?

Sparky Pete, where are you getting the Russian from?

-Dave

Fish wrote:

Where is the write up on adding the 2nd shock in the rear?

That will have to wait until we're finished adding second shocks to the front. We tested the 6-shock setup on Friday, but removed the extra shocks for the race. Not balanced... It's gonna take a while to make everything work together on that one.

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Sparky Pete, where are you getting the Russian from?

-Dave

Looks Greek to me. lol

(Bablefish)

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sometimes I'm slow...

I agree 100% with the cutting springs technique....its what we did on the Estate....we never tested the actual spring rates, but it sure feels stiff to me...I think stock 928 front springs are around 300lbs....so 450lbs is possible using the +50% math (remember stock 928's are 3500lbs)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Did you also space the springs back up on the estate, or are you riding low?

The trick on our car was disabling an extra coil with the tapered perch, raising the car back up, and gaining usable travel with the softer bump stops. Miatas with just cut springs are terrible, and we laugh at them every time we go by.

-D

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Did you also space the springs back up on the estate, or are you riding low?

The trick on our car was disabling an extra coil with the tapered perch, raising the car back up, and gaining usable travel with the softer bump stops. Miatas with just cut springs are terrible, and we laugh at them every time we go by.

-D

All 928's come with adjustable coil overs stock....with threaded perches....so we had to tighten up the collars quite a bit on the estate....the hard part is one of the collars was frozen to the shock body...we literally had to cut it off.....then weld it back together....whats even more surprising is it STILL WORKS.....we adjusted it the other day!!  :>) 

I also concur with RAISING RIDE HEIGHT....when we 1st cut the springs the Estate was SLAMMED to the bump stops and the suspension was far to harsh....every time we raised it the suspension got better and better and so did the handling...less abrupt and more controlled.....the bummer is our old springs sag during the race...so we have to tighten them up after every race....eventually we will run out of adjustment :>(  But there is plenty for at least a few more races

I didn't notice it as much at Sears, since its a smoother track than Thunderhill....but you can really feel the difference there since there are bumps mid corner than can really upset the car if its too low....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Seriously? factory coil-overs? That's awesome!

Now I REALLY want a 928-camino tow vehicle!

-Dave

(poor) Greek to English translation from Google:

The end result is horrific elegant. The gap between the end cuts of the last coil and the spring perch is the 0.75 inches that adds Bilstein perch height in our spring. The gap between the spring perch and minimum coil in the left, is one of many small errors in our calculation. We calculated the percentage of spring as the whole gang was inactive. The clear, only about 2 / 3 of the lowest coil is inactive in full decline. As the spring compresses more and more that the last coil will hit the bass will go dead, giving us a somewhat progressive rate spring, and at a lower level than we calculated round.

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Seriously? factory coil-overs? That's awesome!

Now I REALLY want a 928-camino tow vehicle!

-Dave

Dave
Whats even funnier is the 928 was factory rated to tow 3500lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  With trailer brakes of course...just about enough for a light open trailer and your miata!! 

I don't think I would try it with the 5 speed...they are quite weak...but the automatic if VERY strong....it could handle it.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Team Eyesore is human after all and they are passable!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOHGtlbhPM

What!? I'm trying to figure out who was driving so we can hand out some discipline. This cannot be tolerated!

(nice driving, by the way).

-Dave

It was about an hour maybe hour and half into Sundays session.

Heads will roll....

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Heads will roll....

Eyesore doesn't win because they have the fastest car.......they win because they have the fastest RELIABLE car that doesn't get black flags.......................................................

I'm sure plenty of teams pass Eyesore during the weekend.....just to loose tons of laps during flags-repairs-penalties......

Its simple....a well driven reliable car thats fast "enough".....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Don't forget smokin pit stops!

Our reliability streak ended during the Chump Car race when we finally realized our front wheel bearings were shot. We practiced on another team's parts car and managed to do a wheel bearing swap on our car in 9 minutes at about 3 am. That was one of the best moments of the race, really...

Organize your tools and know how to fix your car!