Topic: Rust? Structural Integrity? Are they not the same?

I plan on tracking a serious rustbucket at a future CMP race. Any recommendations on adding strength to the rusted unibody frame? I have to put new metal in the floor and the cage, but should I be concerned about the underbody?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jSYKPSWfqTM/S5kY-L24QeI/AAAAAAAAA3A/12gGgsgFiHo/s320/IMG00134-20100311-0731.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jSYKPSWfqTM/S5kZXDaXzXI/AAAAAAAAA3I/bHdgCZijWZA/s320/IMG00131-20100311-0730.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jSYKPSWfqTM/S5kWUxJjLtI/AAAAAAAAA2o/C5Wj9yzzsrM/s320/IMG00132-20100311-0730.jpg

See Team Seppuku for more information on the actual build.

Team Seppuku
1979 Toyota Celica GT Liftback

Re: Rust? Structural Integrity? Are they not the same?

WOW! Ur nuts!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Luckily, the roll cage doesn't count as part of the budget, because you're basically going to need to tube frame that and call it "the cage."

clowntrigger wrote:

...but should I be concerned....

Yes, as should those around you.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

rockwood wrote:

Luckily, the roll cage doesn't count as part of the budget, because you're basically going to need to tube frame that and call it "the cage."

That's kinda what I was thinking about. All suggestions on how to do it inexpensively or Lemons style would be greatly appreciated.

Team Seppuku

start over

Grind to shiney, weld till dark.

I'd start by tying the front & rear together with homemade frame rails, the build off that.

Or throw the thing on top of another frame or VW pan. I'd write that Wartburger fellow.

YEW KHAN DOO IT!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

We started with a GTI that looked like that.  It quickly became obvious that fixing it was gonna be hella time consuming, so we found a less rusty bodyshell on a local VW forum and swapped all the GTI suspension, electric, fuel, drivetrain into a stripped base Golf body.  It was also time consuming, but didn't involve weeks of panel beating and fab work.

Just sayin...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I made frame rails out of open channel and bent my own floor pans from sheet metal.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

frame off replacement.  Or find another car.  I would not drive that car with a cage unless major structural things were replaced.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Rusted through and cracked frame rails should end the build.  Unless you know exaclty what you are doing - and then you wouldn't be asking us yahoos - you should find another car.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Rusted through and cracked frame rails should end the build.  Unless you know exaclty what you are doing - and then you wouldn't be asking us yahoos - you should find another car.

Yep, I agree, It takes better-than-average fabrication and welding skills to safely repair that kind of tin-worm.   You need to make sure that you return the car to structural integrity before you put the cage in.  Make sure you/your welder/fabricator are up to the task, or get another car.       Yes, our Nash Metropolitan is worse, but we do this for a living and will get it done correctly.     I know that sounds arrogant, but really, we are professionals...  and its a Metro!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Thanks for the input everyone. We'll discuss our options, but we really want to run the Met at some point. I was hoping to scab metal to the existing rails and make it solid enough to cage.

Team Seppuku