Topic: How to make adjustable seats?

I am looking for suggestions on how to make my seat adjustable.  I have drivers that are from 5'  to 6'5" tall.

What I am thinking about doing is this   I would weld 2 screw jacks as a base.  to be able to adjust the seat height. I would then mount the seat on seat slider. to address forward and back.  My dilema is the attachment to the rollbar  I am thinking of welding a piece of metal on the back of the seat with a slot to allow for the up and down movement of the seat  I would weld all four sides so it could not slip out.  I would then have some sort of pin device to allow for attachment to the rollcage with forward and back movement. 

Yes I am considering to cars one for the big kids one for the little kids

2 (edited by TeamDFL 2010-03-12 10:51 AM)

Re: How to make adjustable seats?

We use a phone book to give short drivers a 3" lift.

EDIT:  No, I'm not kidding.  We duct taped a phone book shut and used it in place of the seat bottom cushion of our Momo seat.  The next driver is responsible for installing or removing the phone book as needed.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

We use a phone book to give short drivers a 3" lift.

EDIT:  No, I'm not kidding.  We duct taped a phone book shut and used it in place of the seat bottom cushion of our Momo seat.  The next driver is responsible for installing or removing the phone book as needed.

extra benefit if he is getting hungry he can look up the local pizza joint and have a pie delivered and it'll be ready by the time his stint is oevr

One of our drivers at Infineon used 2 of those kind of pillow seat covers like are used on hard wooden kitchen chairs. I am not making this up. We had the seat set up to accommodate our 6'8" driver, so the seat was mighty low in the car.

Or you could get some of that fancy 2-part expanding poly foam stuff and let your drivers do their own seat molds like they do for Indy cars. I think Pegasus sells that stuff.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You can buy squares of flame retardent foam that make great seat cusions, thats what we did to take care of the different size drivers.  Mount the seat on runners so it can slide and then have the foam inserts for back/butt support. 

Simply put, keep it simple!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

We have mounted our seat on rails.  I am planning on drilling a couple of holes in the  two or three locations for our drivers.  We also range from 6'1 to 5'3.  The seat back brace will have holes and pins also. The pins to lock the seat will have the little spring loaded balls to make it easy to change.

We just used the stock seat slider and made mounts off it to our Sparco! It still bolts in the factory location even.

You will also need to make an adjustable seat back brace.