Topic: Any changes to the fender rules coming?

3.28: Fenders Required: All cars must have fenders. Duh.

Will futures cars have to have tires that are completely inside the fender wells?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: Any changes to the fender rules coming?

trekkor wrote:

3.28: Fenders Required: All cars must have fenders. Duh.

Will futures cars have to have tires that are completely inside the fender wells?

KT

I vote yes.........just because I have "tire envy" of filthy :>(

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

3 (edited by shrimpandboots 2010-03-15 04:59 AM)

We opted to go with wider tires the last race, further proof we have no idea what we are doing.  As a result we had to do some trimming of the fenders. I dont see any concerns with the tires sticking out a little. I know the rollover in Houston was likely because of tires sticking out. I also know all the stars had to line up perfectly for this to happen. I would be more concerned about throttles sticking and give and take driving than the tires.

shrimpandboots wrote:

We opted to go with wider tires the last race, further proof we have no idea what we are doing.  As a result we had to do some trimming of the fenders. I dont see any concerns with the tires sticking out a little. I know the rollover in Houston was likely because of tires sticking out. I also know all the stars had to line up perfectly for this to happen. I would be more concerned about throttles sticking and give and take driving than the tires.

Many inexperienced drivers + dangerous consequences from contact = good reason to make a rule.

5 (edited by shrimpandboots 2010-03-18 03:10 AM)

pinkshinyalan wrote:
shrimpandboots wrote:

Many inexperienced drivers + dangerous consequences from contact = good reason to make a rule.

2 cars, 10 Drivers, average age 42, that is at least 270 years of combined driving experience. This is assuming they started driving at 15 years and not 10 (which is more likely). Give each one a12 pack in the car and they drive even better.

I think all the big boxed fendered 80 monzas are going to be on the rize!!LOL

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Effective driving experience = 270 divided by 10 divided by seat time at the track, unless all 10 drivers are in the car at the same time and they have only driven at the track.

Man it is easy to get beat up around here. How about seat time in the Allison grandstand at Talladega, does this count?

None of that experience  count for Lemons .Unless you have experience in dodging cars coming towards you on the freeway the wrong way.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

You can always add some sweet fender flares like the ones on the Angry Hamster Z600. We felt that chopping 6" out of the RX7 suspension that we grafted into the car was enough. The rest of the width had to be covered with flares.
Trailer fenders are cheap and if you get the wide ones you can make two flares from each fender.

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

Pics or it didn't happen.

-Dave

Trailer fenders.  Brilliant!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen.

-Dave

As you wish, trailertastic fender flares...this was two 10" wide stamped in China specials:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/yetiult/Z600%20LeMons%20Car/aerohamster.jpg

This is what we should all be striving for!!

KT

trekkor wrote:

This is what we should all be striving for!!

KT

Indeed but we are going from a 155/75/15 to a 245/40/17....I think we'll need something a bit wider wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

This is the only thing I hate about this series. I find the only POS Fox GT left in Ontario, drive 400 km to drag it out of bear infested bush and before I can enjoy my exotic find for a second the Left Coast contingent does stuff like this. And on the east coast, they're building Wartburgs and Sonetts. Meanwhile here in the land of endless road salt I swivel my head when a rare car like a Tempo drives by. I feel like the kid who just got cut from the football team. If this keeps up the fans are gonna come out just to see the exotica. NASCAR is boring!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

I swivel my head when a rare car like a Tempo drives by.

If you like Tempos come on BABE rally 2011 or just show up in New Orleans at the end and take your pick.

2011 will be the first year for a spec BABE car and Tempo is the choice, there should be at least 20 or so of them on the rally and most of them will be abandoned...um...donated...at the end.

Or just come this year, someone is bound to be ditching something interesting at the end...

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

jimeditorial wrote:

drive 400 km

Found your problem...stop trying to do everything in metric smile

I love the flares on the z600!  Well done sir.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

bear infested bush

This concerns me...

KT

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I love the flares on the z600!  Well done sir.

You missed the composite wing!  (Grumble grumble... did it before me.)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

squirrelly_z600 wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

drive 400 km

Ya we're gonna join up with the Mexicans and subvert your system of measurement....besides aren't automotive fasteners and narcotics already Metric down there?  I once rented  a Town Car (free upgrade) in Texas and got caught at 95, which is nothing in kph, but apparently causes consternation in the local constabulary around San Angelo. I opened the door to unbuckle and get my wallet out and then they really lost their sense of humor. I figured I'd wait a minute before scrambling in the glovebox for the rental papers...Damn Lincoln was so quiet compared to my usual shitboxes that I didn't notice the speed and with no one else around you just don't have a sense of how fast you're going. Learned a lot about armadillos from the officer, though. Does nobody smile in Texas?

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:

I once rented  a Town Car (free upgrade) in Texas and got caught at 95, which is nothing in kph, but apparently causes consternation in the local constabulary around San Angelo. I opened the door to unbuckle and get my wallet out and then they really lost their sense of humor. I figured I'd wait a minute before scrambling in the glovebox for the rental papers...Damn Lincoln was so quiet compared to my usual shitboxes that I didn't notice the speed and with no one else around you just don't have a sense of how fast you're going. Learned a lot about armadillos from the officer, though. Does nobody smile in Texas?

Several years ago, I was driving away from San Angelo  towards El Paso on a lonely Cattle Road and I got stopped for speeding by a cop in an F150.  He actually took the time to turn around and pull me over for going 79 in a 75 zone.  WTF?  It was the first time I actually didn't know the answer when he asked if I knew why he pulled me over.  Seriously?  4pmh over???  I guess they have nothing better to do.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

jimeditorial wrote:
squirrelly_z600 wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

drive 400 km

Ya we're gonna join up with the Mexicans and subvert your system of measurement....besides aren't automotive fasteners and narcotics already Metric down there?  I once rented  a Town Car (free upgrade) in Texas and got caught at 95, which is nothing in kph, but apparently causes consternation in the local constabulary around San Angelo. I opened the door to unbuckle and get my wallet out and then they really lost their sense of humor. I figured I'd wait a minute before scrambling in the glovebox for the rental papers...Damn Lincoln was so quiet compared to my usual shitboxes that I didn't notice the speed and with no one else around you just don't have a sense of how fast you're going. Learned a lot about armadillos from the officer, though. Does nobody smile in Texas?

sure, most of us do. where i live (small town, north texas) folks will wave as they go by, whether you know them or not. the opening of the car door wasn't the best move you could have made, due to the history of certain individuals rolling out of their ride with bad intentions (ie, with gun blazing). happens again, just sit there, wait on them to make the first move.

Ya I figured out the don't open the door thing in about a millisecond when the cop put his hand on his holster....so I felt that rooting around in the glovebox wasn't a good idea either....there should be some kind of instruction manual for tourists in Texas! Later in Cisco I stopped at a 7-11 type place called Alsup's and bought a "Big Gulp" kind of Diet Coke that I swear was the size of a KFC family bucket....a horse couldn't drink that much, but it was sorta Texas appropriate...

Jim "Endo" Anderton