Topic: Your thoughts on Putting ID mark on car w/ Rookie driver?

Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be a good idea-- I can think of good things about seeing cars (like mine) displaying a sticker, flag, or other identifier on the car when there's a 1st-time wheel-to-wheel "racer" behind the wheel.

I can also think of some not-so-good things. I can also understand the "so what" thoughts, too.

While my wife didn't manage to get behind the wheel at Sears (the flip and fire kinda spooked her), she does look forward to the day when she can put in a lap or two. When that happens, she won't exactly be out to pass or otherwise compete with anyone on the track and I'd love to be able to put a big neon sign on the roof that says, Please Don't Hit Me...

Anyone else care to offer input on the good/bad about voluntary Rookie Driver identifiers?

Re: Your thoughts on Putting ID mark on car w/ Rookie driver?

Treat every car out there like the driver is a first timer and you will probably be in good shape.

Who determines what qualifies you as a non-rookie?  One prior race wont necessarily make you a better driver so thinking that a non-flagged/marked/etc car is a bit safer to mix it up with might get you in more trouble than anticipated.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Assume we're all idiots (amatuers) - which is pretty accurate - and you'll be happy.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

4 (edited by rockwood 2010-03-15 03:25 PM)

What about teams with mixed driver groups?  I'm a wheel to wheel veteran (NASA, nationally licensed), but all of my teammates are wheel to wheel rookies. 

I think an external marking would allow you to assume someone was safe and get  screwed.  I've seen experienced veterans pull rookie moves before, so I just treat everyone like they suck.  Assumption is the mother of all fuckups, as they say... big_smile

While I agree completely that we should all be treating every car out there as if it were driven by a first timer (and many of them are) or a just plain crappy driver (most of the rest of us), I think if you truly have a first time W2W racer in your car and they're a little insecure, WHY NOT tag the car accordingly?

"First time on track, please pass safely!"

Don't leave it on the car all the time, or people won't believe it.  Change it after her first session.  "2nd time on track!  What's an apex?"  In other words, make it consistently accurate for whoever is in the car.

If some of your other drivers are more experienced, you can have fun with that, too... "Experienced driver, but still stupid."  or "I'm in yer racez, blockin' yer linez".

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Assume that every car you are near is hell-bent on immediately and intentionally planning to hit you, in the most damaging way possible, and you will be about 19% prepared for what is about to happen.  I would rather be around a rookie (for the most part) that is cautious than be racing against the Spec-series or pro driver.  Rookies have not wrecked that often, and are cautious.  Pros know how to wreck, and prove it every race...  Granted there are the exceptions to the rule, and you have some yahoo that seems destined to take out at least 4 cars before he is parked.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I think we should mark the cars that have the "PRO" drivers in them.  Per the Judges, they're the ones that cause the most trouble anyway.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

How about "My other car is a spec Miata"?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

You have to drive like the cars don't see you...They probably don't!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The Maxima didn't!!!

It's not a bad idea but I'm not sure how much difference it would make. At Thunderhill a couple years back, after finding a puddle of brake fluid under our car when we returned to in on Sunday morning, we make a big "NO BRAKES!!!" sign on the back of our car. I think everyone pretty much ignored it.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Putting the sticker on the car has a few problems

A) Lemons drivers have a hard enough time seeing flags, let alone stickers.

B) We're assuming that drivers can read and understand symbols

C) Won't make a damn bit of difference in how anyone drives around other cars. Think about the V80lvo, the Shark or that hella snarlin' Datsun 510 slowing down because of... anything.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

The Citreon is kinda of moving chicane .
She will be fine ,but i would suggest maybe a trackday prior to race to give her the basics.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

cmice wrote:

Assume we're all idiots (amatuers) - which is pretty accurate - and you'll be happy.

+1

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

given that most Lemons cars have excessive writing on them already, or fur, or grass skirts, dragon tales etc. etc. how would anyone know the difference?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

16 (edited by Mulry 2010-03-16 06:56 AM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

C) Won't make a damn bit of difference in how anyone drives around other cars.

Amen. The Citroen at Sears Pointless was slower than heck on the track, but hugged the left shoulder constantly. It had a huge freaking "Pass Here -->" sticker and still (1) got hit and (2) somehow, almost inconceivably, got passed on the left.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

based on what i've seen at the drivers meetings when the 'how many of you guys are first timers' question is posed and half the people raise their hands, i err on the safe side and assume all cars are driven by people with little experience

soldmystang wrote:

given that most Lemons cars have excessive writing on them already, or fur, or grass skirts, dragon tales etc. etc. how would anyone know the difference?

Another good point. Everytime a driver comes in for contact, we have to go through the whole song and dance:

Judge: Why are you here?
Perp: I don't know.
Judge: You don't know? Did you maybe smash into another car?
Perp: He smashed into me!!!
Judge: What kind of car did you hit?
Perp: I think it was white, maybe an MR2

(The car is a bright orange Crown Vic with a flaming dollhouse glued to the top)

i.e. no one's going to see a sticker.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

My car got swiped by a Boob infested Taurus.

We know exactly who done it!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

sounds good in theory....but won't work.....

I tell all my drivers "assume everyone on track well never EVER do the "right" move & yes they all are trying to KILL YOU" 

it must be working...went went from 3 flags and 1 contact to 1 flag zero contact!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Judge Jonny wrote:

Judge: Why are you here?

You just don't like me?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Troy wrote:

My car got swiped by a Boob infested Taurus.

We know exactly who done it!

Team Titty got ya?

New interpretation of "titty twister".

I remember last year at Nelson.  During the drivers meeting Jay asked how many of the drivers had never done wheel to wheel racing before...and almost half the people rasied their hands.  Me and my team mates looked at each other to share an "oh shit" moment.   
But in the end everyone was very decent!  I got no complaints about anyone on the track or off.

Point being I think the sticker would be redundant, almost every other car would have to have one, and as many people have pointed out the...AHEM...experienced racers are often just as much trouble as the noobs, and I openly include myself in that category!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I remember last year at Nelson.  During the drivers meeting Jay asked how many of the drivers had never done wheel to wheel racing before...and almost half the people rasied their hands.  Me and my team mates looked at each other to share an "oh shit" moment.

That has been a constant at every race I have been to.  Jay asks for the hands of the complete rookies to go up, about half the people raise their hands, and then there is an immediate murmur of discontent/oh-my-god, but peppered with laughter, that runs through the crowd.

That moment IS Lemons.