Topic: Unofficial Rust Belt Ramble Chat

Even as gas prices go through the roof, I'm starting to get excited for RBR '22.

I just wanted to let any participants know that I live about 45 minutes north of Detroit, right off of I-94. We have a fair bit of space out here. So, if anyone was looking for a place to crash prior to the rally we have space to pitch a tent or whatever. There would be access to some electricity (how long is your extension cord?). Additionally, there would be access to water and a bathroom in the house.

I'm sure the powers that be will have some type of Thursday meet-up planned. But, if you're looking for an alternative, we have plenty of nice, "sittin' around n' BS'ing" space.

I'm pretty familiar with this area. So, if you have any questions (eateries, scrap yards, sights, etc....), hit me up.

Looking forward to seeing y'all in July.

'77 Ford Granada

Jim T, Chief Check Writer @Granny Motorsports (@granny_motorsports on the instagram machine)

'77 Ford Granada (Have you driven a Ford lately?)
28th place-'22 Rust Belt Ramble

Re: Unofficial Rust Belt Ramble Chat

I'm about a mile from the 696/94 interchange, not too far from your area.  I'll be interested to see where the RBR starts this year, and where the official pre-rally hotel is.  Naturally we'll stay home on the pre-rally night, but kiddo and I might head out the night before to visit other Rally meetups if we have time, so I'll keep your place in mind as it might be the easiest to get to.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

BTW, I had thought about trying to do something here, but the house and yard are too small, and street parking isn't that amenable to a lot of cars.  Although the neighbors would probably get a kick out of some of the hoopties lining the street end to end. 

It would be interesting if there were some sort of unofficial Lemons hooptie cruise the evening before. A group of us crawling up and down Jefferson Ave. from Metro Parkway down to the Detroit border (or even all the way to downtown Detroit) could be fun. There aren't too many places to stop, but there are views of Lake St. Clair from the road here and there. If anyone wanted to bow out early, head west on any of the major main roads and they'll have an entrance ramp to I-94.

--Rudy

The Hooptie Garage wrote:

BTW, I had thought about trying to do something here, but the house and yard are too small, and street parking isn't that amenable to a lot of cars.  Although the neighbors would probably get a kick out of some of the hoopties lining the street end to end. 

It would be interesting if there were some sort of unofficial Lemons hooptie cruise the evening before. A group of us crawling up and down Jefferson Ave. from Metro Parkway down to the Detroit border (or even all the way to downtown Detroit) could be fun. There aren't too many places to stop, but there are views of Lake St. Clair from the road here and there. If anyone wanted to bow out early, head west on any of the major main roads and they'll have an entrance ramp to I-94.

That would be awesome. What's the drive-in on Jefferson? That would be a cool "take over".

Whatcha driving?

Jim T, Chief Check Writer @Granny Motorsports (@granny_motorsports on the instagram machine)

Jimnayzum wrote:

It would be interesting if there were some sort of unofficial Lemons hooptie cruise the evening before. A group of us crawling up and down Jefferson Ave. from Metro Parkway down to the Detroit border (or even all the way to downtown Detroit) could be fun.

That would be awesome. What's the drive-in on Jefferson? That would be a cool "take over".

Whatcha driving?

I'm not sure which hooptie I'll be driving in the Rocky Mountain Breakdown (time, weather, etc. is not in my favor, so I may need to take the daily driver), but should have the soul-sucking (but gas sipping) Civic appliance ready for Rust Belt Ramble.

You're probably thinking of Eddie's Drive-In in Harrison Twp. at the corner of Ballard and Jefferson, across from the DNR boat launch. Eddie's has about 30 spots, with ~16 of those in the drive-up area.  Could get crowded with the normal summer evening crowd there.  However, a good lot for overflow is 1,000 ft. down Ballard, entrance on the left side of the street--it offers a larger parking lot (~50 spaces) for the Harrison Twp. senior center (closed evenings) and a playground, with a path that leads to the Clinton River Spillway. Anyone can order at Eddie's pickup window for takeout.

Eddie's is near the north end of Jefferson, 2½ miles from Metro Parkway. That's probably the easiest exit from I-94 for the north end.  An extended northern route would be to exit at the North River Road exit from I-94, heading east towards Harrison Township, then south.

For giggles, I mapped it out here, with Eddie's as a destination en route. https://goo.gl/maps/PxEwUhCSVjXA99aCA

The route passes Selfridge ANG, through Harrison Township ("boat town USA"--a lot of marinas), through St. Clair Shores (the "Nautical Mile" with restaurants, marinas and nautical supply shops), then passes the historic Edsel and Eleanor Ford house and into the Grosse Pointes (yacht clubs, a couple of views of the water, mansions), and ends at Windmill Point Lighthouse (down Alter Rd.), on the water overlooking the mouth of the Detroit River, Peche Island, and Windsor Ontario. About 24 miles, and an hour's traveling time without stops.

I'd hate to be stepping on toes with any official Lemons activities for the same evening though. I'll wait and see what they have planned (although us locals have probably already seen/done some of the local attractions already).

--Rudy

How extensive do people go with their themes?!? I'm.trying to even figure mine out!

In my case, the rally car also has to function as our spare car, so anything I do needs to be easily removed once the rally is done and over with.  We have a small driveway and the garage is used for storage so despite having an idea for a real turd of a car for Lemons, there simply isn't room for another car here at Casa Hooptie.  (On top of it, we're looking to relocate, so spare funds for a dedicated car I'll use maybe two or three times a year aren't available anyway.)

It's more fun to participate in something more insane than the average driver, but it's certainly not a requirement.

--Rudy

Some people go crazy with  themes, others do nothing....and everything in between.

Some cars just naturally invite themes. Some people are really creative, and come up with a great theme for any car. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Don't sweat it, if inspiration happens, it happens. If it doesn't, you won't be alone.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I just found something yesterday on Facebook marketplace that I'm going to try and go look at this weekend.  If it works out, then all I'll have to do is order some shirts, have some vinyl decals cut and attempt to write new lyrics for an existing song.  That will be the extent of my theme that will be based on one of the highlights of last year's rally.  That's all I've got to say about that for now.

10 (edited by puttcharlie 2022-04-05 06:20 AM)

Not sure if anyone watches/listens to the Everyone Racers podcast, but Eric Rood was a guest host this past week and he spilled some deets about Rust Belt Ramble '22.  Pre-Rally Meetup and Rally Launch will be at Detroit Bus Company, where another tour will be offered Thursday afternoon/evening.  Friday evening meetup will be at the Packard Museum in Dayton.  Saturday's meetup is still up in the air.  Rally end will be (and I called this after looking this up during Hell on Wheels last year) at the Pierce-Arrow Museum in Buffalo.  Somewhat coincidentally, I'm following the exploits of one Alton Brown, food person, and he was just in Buffalo looking for the ultimate chicken wing.  A local radio DJ pointed him to Kelly's Corner, which appears to be pretty close to the Pierce-Arrow plant.  Their Beef on Weck apparently also comes highly recommended.  So it would appear that my post rally meal has been planned out already and I still have to make sure I can afford to do the rally.

Edit: Apparently my dumb ass doesn't know the difference between a classic super-luxury automobile and an RV.
Edit #2:  The Pierce-Arrow factory building and the Pierce-Arrow Museum are not at the same place.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Pierce-Arrow factory building is the last check point.

I'll skip the bus tour--I live in the area, so I have probably seen most of what is on the tour and would rather leave the seat empty for someone else who needs it more than I do.

If nothing else materializes with other RBR participants that evening, Plan B will probably be spent at home preparing for the trip. 

A visit to the Packard Museum would be cool.  My grandfather retired from Packard as a paint sprayer, towards the end of their operations in Detroit.  I inherited his 25 year anniversary watch, so he had to start working there in the late 20s or early 1930s (production ended in Detroit in 1956).

--Rudy

Quite coincidentally, an article posted today at The Detroit news mentions that the owner/developer of the former Packard Plant here on the east side has been ordered by the court to demolish all the structures on the two 2-acre sites by the end of June. The developer missed a March trial date, and the city potentially could take over the property through liens if the developer does not pay the demolition cost.

I think demolition may take longer, but if still standing in July, it could be the last chance to drive by the ruins of the plant. The walkway over Grand Boulevard collapsed three years ago, and it has only gotten worse since then.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ … 484048002/

--Rudy

questforlemons wrote:

How extensive do people go with their themes?!? I'm.trying to even figure mine out!

Theme-ing is the best part! You can be as involved as you want. Some will get very "into" their theme. Others will have no theme at all. I don't have the budget or wherewithall to get a new ride every year. So, the theme is my thing.  This year I think we will be rocking a very serious, literary theme. With a splash of Top Gear/Grand Tour thrown in.

If you're just into the cars, then the theme doesn't matter very much. But if you're into the theme, then the theme matters a lot. The best part is that either way, the rally is a lot of fun, mostly because of all the neat cars and themes (but really because of the people who brought them both)

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I can't get into a theme as much as I'd like--I had to use my daily driver on my first rally.  The RBR will probably find me in our old spare car, where I can at least do some vinyl graphics so it looks the part of a themed rally car, and save money on gas.  I only have two weeks to fix everything, though.  It'll be a mad rush for sure.

Yesterday I started working and inspecting the oldest hooptie that I really wanted to use, but am finding more and more rust as I go through it.  (The latest I found is the body beneath the battery is rusting through.)  And I am wondering if it is even safe to drive anymore.  But it is the perfect canvas for a theme (and welding practice), and I had a cheap-ish idea for "repainting" it.  But, no way I can come close to having it roadworthy in two weeks.  (It may go to Concours d'Lemons in September if I can't give it away to a good home in the meantime--we need it gone.) 

Like others though, I'm in it for the fun, and meeting like-minded car enthusiasts.

--Rudy

I've decided on a an overall theme, and decided to spend more than I have invested in the car on a vinyl wrap to theme it up, but allow the "theme" to be removable. I used to work in the sign industry, so found a decent local price for the wrap, and going to attempt to wrap it myself.  (Good luck to me)

We shall see if I'm successful soon enough!

I looked at a wrap a while ago, but I have no garage to install it in--anything I do has to be outdoors. 

But even a hood wrap would be an idea for me, and it's cheap enough ($69).  But it also requires a blemish-free surface, which I don't have.  Still, if it lasted a year or 18 months to get through a few rallies, that's a cheap and easy theme.

--Rudy

I looked at a wrap a while ago, but I have no garage to install it in--anything I do has to be outdoors. 

But even a hood wrap would be an idea for me, and it's cheap enough ($69).  But it also requires a blemish-free surface, which I don't have.  Still, if it lasted a year or 18 months to get through a few rallies, that's a cheap and easy theme.

Doesn't really need to be blemish free.  This wrap vinyl has air release channels, you'll just see whatever texture under the wrap, if you don't care, then it doesn't matter!

The hood wraps on Ebay/Amazon are a good value for sure!

Mainly I have a few minor hail dents, and a single small rust bubble that finally broke through after several years (about half the size of a dime). Not a big deal, as I cant find the type of graphic I want for the hood just yet.

--Rudy

Mainly I have a few minor hail dents, and a single small rust bubble that finally broke through after several years (about half the size of a dime). Not a big deal, as I cant find the type of graphic I want for the hood just yet.

I nixxed the wrap.  Figured the $$ would be better spent on repairs on the road as needed, and the car is more lemony without it!

I would at least like to get some vinyl stickers or graphics so my theme makes sense. A wrap would be nice but I don't think I will have time for it. I'll only have the two weeks prior to do all the engine work and fix the suspension, and that's cutting it close. I'm hoping to be able to show up at the Thursday gathering (although I won't be going on the bus outing).

--Rudy

Order your wrap and we put it on Thursday night in the hotel parking lot! Lol

I'm only about 35 minutes from the hotel, actually...but I may also end up with a handful of RBR cars in my driveway doing last minute repairs. big_smile

--Rudy

I'm only about 35 minutes from the hotel, actually...but I may also end up with a handful of RBR cars in my driveway doing last minute repairs. big_smile

Fair enough! I'm hopeful that I'm.ready to go, but always willing to lend a hand....and I'm pretty solid at 12v wiring!

Since I decided to put the Saturn on ice until next year and I'm bringing the Subaru Baja I brought on RFM, I'm gonna run it with the same livery on it that it had in December.  Just gotta upgrade the 12V setup so that I can run both my CB and my Bluetooth FM transmitter at the same time.