Topic: My own 2004 Toyota Matrix

Original owner.
230k miles.
Pretty much stock and original, even suspension and wheel bearings (no comments please).
I've kept the engine running well by addressing gaskets, vacuum leaks, fuel injectors, etc.
No accidents so it still fits in well with today's modern cars.

I do think the engine is on its last legs since it sounds like an old man trying to get off the couch, so I was thinking of making it a Lemons car and helping it leave this world in glory, instead of slowly dying a slow death in suburbia. If it were to survive Lemons, I'd continue using it as a street car and entering it in Lemons until it dies. 

Would this car be penalized?
Is this an advisable end-of-life approach?

2 (edited by chaase 2022-05-05 10:57 AM)

Re: My own 2004 Toyota Matrix

A viking funeral in a Lemons race is a suitable end for any daily driver. Asking any true Lemons if this is a bad idea will get the same answer. If that came through my line at BS, I would not give any penalty laps. It screams C0 to me.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

A viking funeral in a Lemons race is a suitable end for any daily driver. Asking any true Lemons if this is a bad idea will get the same answer. If that came through my line at BS, I would not give any penalty laps. It screams C0 to me.

Awesome. Thanks! I should mention that I do plan on stripping it out and giving it some flair to help the judges see it as a true Lemons car! And I'm thinking of Buttonwillow in case that matters.

I was thinking of buying a craigslist car, but I'm just a shadetree mechanic without a whole lot of time to get to know and work on a new-to-me car. And of course I'd rather be on the track instead of youtubing repairs trackside!

What is "C0"? Is that Class A for cars that have a prayer of winning?

Leeleelemon wrote:
chaase wrote:

Awesome. Thanks! I should mention that I do plan on stripping it out and giving it some flair to help the judges see it as a true Lemons car! And I'm thinking of Buttonwillow in case that matters.

I was thinking of buying a craigslist car, but I'm just a shadetree mechanic without a whole lot of time to get to know and work on a new-to-me car. And of course I'd rather be on the track instead of youtubing repairs trackside!

What is "C0"? Is that Class A for cars that have a prayer of winning?

C0 => Class C, 0 Laps - That is the notation judges use on your tech sheet to denote class and number of penalty laps.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Post-2000 JDM manufacturers are automatically B class from what I've seen.

If your intent is to blow up the car, then why worry about penalty laps or classing at all?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

chaase wrote:

Matrix is basically a post-2000 Corolla, which is a surprisingly capable Lemons car. I'd probably dump it into Class B as far as competition goes, especially if it's an XR with a stick. If it's an auto and the base-model with a squishy suspension, maybe C.

However you slice it: As long as your former daily driver isn't an overly prepared, very capable car with parts that "were already on it when I got it" (Uh-huh...), nobody is really gonna give a crap. An 18-year-old Matrix isn't worth a pile of money even in this weird, terrible used car market.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

7 (edited by chaase 2022-05-05 02:20 PM)

therood wrote:
chaase wrote:

Matrix is basically a post-2000 Corolla, which is a surprisingly capable Lemons car. I'd probably dump it into Class B as far as competition goes, especially if it's an XR with a stick. If it's an auto and the base-model with a squishy suspension, maybe C.

However you slice it: As long as your former daily driver isn't an overly prepared, very capable car with parts that "were already on it when I got it" (Uh-huh...), nobody is really gonna give a crap. An 18-year-old Matrix isn't worth a pile of money even in this weird, terrible used car market.

It's the same as the Pontiac Vibe. I was thinking it was one of the AWD cars, but forgot you could get them  w/ FWD stick and a higher HP 1.8. The base 1.8 auto would be pretty anemic. Either way, I'd love to see one.

Has there been a Matrix yet?

Welcome to the shitshow!! I'll be at buttonwillow as well, feel free to swing by if you've got any questions! Make sure you understand the rule book cover to cover and feel free to ask questions if you're not sure. I think you'll be surprised how reliable your car is, but you really want to focus on making sure you'll pass tech on your first build.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

It would not be penalized.  If you're a new build and a new team, I would be ok putting you in C class, unless the car was a FWD XR. 

You mentioned continuing to street drive the car.  It's been done so it's possible, but with the cage, fire suppression, etc...it may not be a car you'd want to street drive much.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

10 (edited by Leeleelemon 2022-05-05 03:32 PM)

Thanks for all the responses. Nice to see an active forum! Actually, my Matrix is a base engine AWD automatic, so it's gonna run even slower than the base FWD. C0 sounds great, but I will still have to get over the following hesitations:

• An AWD Matrix is rare and I'm wondering if I should preserve it.

• I may mess with it off-road, instead of Lemons.

• My 17yo son thinks it's "his" car!!

I'm gonna go watch some more Lemons videos to overcome the above.

KeiCarMike wrote:

Post-2000 JDM manufacturers are automatically B class from what I've seen.

If your intent is to blow up the car, then why worry about penalty laps or classing at all?

Not JDM...its AMERICAN MADE right there in California.

Nose swap it as a Vibe and move on.

So a Matrix/Vibe has been on the wishlist for a while from the Judges.  The 1.8 is a damned near indestructible engine but you are likely hearing the one or two maintence items you have not addressed...cam chain tensioner and valve adjustment.  My 200K miles example was BARELY in spec on the 3 valves and the original tensioner was luckily leaking oil like British car because after pulling it to replace the oring it was totally collapsed.

So prepping a car for Lemons is a $3500-4500 for most people and more for many.  Your Viking funeral is fine but planning for at least a few races to recoup that investment is probably wise.  The engines are super cheap at self-service yards and not super valuable to full service yeards because of the longevity and the deart of 1ZZ-FE's sold in what were relatively disposable cars.  AWD transmission are hard to find but the "conversion" to FWD automatic is (from memory so do not quote me) just swapping the mounts.

Leeleelemon wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. Nice to see an active forum! Actually, my Matrix is a base engine AWD automatic, so it's gonna run even slower than the base FWD. C0 sounds great, but I will still have to get over the following hesitations:

Rare is not something I would use to prevent a Matrix from being in Lemons. Your 17 year old son can be on your team so it would be a great father/son experience

OnkelUdo wrote:

AWD transmission are hard to find but the "conversion" to FWD automatic is (from memory so do not quote me) just swapping the mounts.

No unnecessary swapping of anything is planned! Hoping to just set it and forget it.

OnkelUdo wrote:

So prepping a car for Lemons is a $3500-4500 for most people and more for many.

If that’s just for the car prep, not entrance and other fees, it's more than I expected. What would that include? I’m hoping to weld in a roll cage myself and look for good quality used safety gear.

Leeleelemon wrote:

I was just considering a possibility, in regards to point 2.

I am relatively sure there's never been a HooptieX/Lemons Bo Jackson. It seems to me that a reliable, caged daily with some hot-swap suspension and tire mods could do both and be legendary.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

16 (edited by Leeleelemon 2022-05-05 09:36 PM)

zac.s.caldwell wrote:

I am relatively sure there's never been a HooptieX/Lemons Bo Jackson. It seems to me that a reliable, caged daily with some hot-swap suspension and tire mods could do both and be legendary.

Seriously?! Why must you put such thoughts in my brain?! I’ve thought about putting in some strut spacers and bigger tires. I suppose a small low AWD could be versatile for this. Hmm. But one step at a time! I don’t even have approval from the mrs yet.

Leeleelemon wrote:

Seriously?! Why must you put such thoughts in my brain?! I’ve thought about putting in some strut spacers and bigger tires. I suppose a small low AWD could be versatile for this. Hmm. But one step at a time! I don’t even have approval from the mrs yet.

I appreciate the need to keep concord in the home in regards to automotive stupidity.

It's on the list of reason's I'm a bachelor.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

18 (edited by chaase 2022-05-06 02:15 PM)

zac.s.caldwell wrote:
Leeleelemon wrote:

I appreciate the need to keep concord in the home in regards to automotive stupidity.

It's on the list of reason's I'm a bachelor.

You just have to find the right spouse…one of the main reasons I am on here is to encourage bad Lemons decisions. Just say no to BMW

chaase wrote:

You just have to find the right spouse…one of the main reasons I am on here is to encourage bad Lemons decisions. Just say no to BMW

Unless you do something really, really stupid with it.

20 (edited by chaase 2022-05-06 05:56 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

That’s true… I didn’t mind the BMW w/Chevy small block TH350 swap.

I have a spare transfer case for you. It's a long story. I also have a couple of unit bearing rear hubs that may or may not be good. Yours for shipping/arranging a crapcan relay service from southeast AZ.

That guy

22 (edited by Guildenstern 2022-05-07 01:07 PM)

Leeleelemon wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

AWD transmission are hard to find but the "conversion" to FWD automatic is (from memory so do not quote me) just swapping the mounts.

No unnecessary swapping of anything is planned! Hoping to just set it and forget it.

OnkelUdo wrote:

If that’s just for the car prep, not entrance and other fees, it's more than I expected. What would that include? I’m hoping to weld in a roll cage myself and look for good quality used safety gear.

Don't freak out on the price. Take 6 months or so to do it and you won't really notice the cost that much. Also remember you have team mates.

Also aside from the cage, all your other stuff is removable and reusable.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

chaase wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

My fav was the /6 E30.

And of course, our upcoming debut.

Leeleelemon wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

OnkelUdo wrote:

Cage kit  from RCC = $1100 plus shipping so likely $1250 in today's market (used to be $825 including shipping to freight dock near you).  Add welding consumables of about $100 (seems high...likely is not with how much C25 and MIG wire are now).  FYI, for us in our region with (lack of) discounts on DOM tube, RCC is the cost of shipping more than raw materials and well worth it.

Seat...good luck finding used as some can but we never did.  Corbeau FX1 = $470. You still have to mount it.  Might find and Ultrashoeld or Kirkey cheaper but I lost track.

Cheap latch and link harness is about $150

Fire suppression about $450 shipped.

4 tires in that size are likely to want,  $140 plus mount and ballance.  You can just run old all seasons, we have on two difference IoE contenders, but the experience is...special.

Full brake service($100-$200) and at least something that can handle the heat for front pads ($100) and decent fluid ($20).

Fresh fluid all the way around (less coolant as that is just water) $80.

These are the minimums.  So if you just run the all-season that are on the car you can convince yourself you can do it for $3000...but you won't.  This list is almost exactly $3500 and has no fat in it.  As a veteran team with other cars to steal from we have fielded a car for $1600 back when a cage kit was $825 delivered by borrowing seat, harness, etc from a different car we were not racing that weekend.

Finally, this is car prep, not spares, logistics items, tools, transportation, fees, personal safety gear, fueling needs.  Just "this car is race ready" (even forgot the kill switch and wire!).  With a team of 304 likel-minded idiots, it is down to $875 each or less.

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

My fav was the /6 E30.

And of course, our upcoming debut.

\

oooh..can't wait.