Topic: Sears Pointless Faster Farms Bimmer Sammitch

German shit flying around everywhere. We would have ate bratwurst with 3rd gear
http://vimeo.com/10222911

Re: Sears Pointless Faster Farms Bimmer Sammitch

I still say you guys should get a 3-speed manual from Al's stash-o-parts and run that. Automatic transmission woes have been the Chickenmobile's weak point all along.

do you ever shift gears.......

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

MurileeMartin wrote:

Automatic transmission woes have been the Chickenmobile's weak point all along.

I would've thought it was the lack of a slant six.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 speed or 4 speed, and you are soooo dialed!

MurileeMartin wrote:

I still say you guys should get a 3-speed manual from Al's stash-o-parts and run that. Automatic transmission woes have been the Chickenmobile's weak point all along.

Maybe the Size Does Matter guys have the answer.....I seemed to be staring at their wide rear bumper at  Reno-Fernley last year too damn often....how they get that Fury to stay alive is amazing...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

djsupersoul wrote:

3 speed or 4 speed, and you are soooo dialed!

The car runs great and is flat in the corners so I think you are right.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Murilee, feel free to try and persuade Adrian on this. Been trying for over a year...

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

It takes a lot of work and parts to put in a 3 or 4 speed, hard to do it under budget.  Think they are running a 904 (correct me if I'm wrong) and we have been running the 727 in our car which is much stronger.  Never had a tranny problem with our car during a race.  With the manual trans you also introduce other problems like keeping a clutch together.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

The Chickenmobile has a 727.

We ran our first two races with 904s, and Sears Pointless with a 727. Were gonna try the auto thing at least one more time... The team is getting a bit tired of replacing them.

I'm trying to figure out when/where/what cost to do some on track testing to make sure this trans will hold up.

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

Other thing to keep an eye on is cooling.  Nothing kills a Mopar trans faster than heat.  We started out with a 99 Ford F-350 trans-cooler on our rig which was probably overkill but on the other hand our tranny was running about 130 degrees.  We had to move it before the last Thunderhill race (we had it mounted next to the driver and had to comply with fluid in the cockpit rules) so we now have two coolers inline in front of the radiator.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

rocketresto wrote:

Other thing to keep an eye on is cooling.  Nothing kills a Mopar trans faster than heat.  We started out with a 99 Ford F-350 trans-cooler on our rig which was probably overkill but on the other hand our tranny was running about 130 degrees.  We had to move it before the last Thunderhill race (we had it mounted next to the driver and had to comply with fluid in the cockpit rules) so we now have two coolers inline in front of the radiator.

Only 130F.....  the ATF would last like 200,000miles at that temp!!!  We run about 190F in the 928....  which also will last a VERY long time

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I can't even begin to count the number of A904's I've grenaded...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones