1 (edited by robertm 2010-03-18 08:53 AM)

Topic: Can't get Bayou Hot Pits rules

I've only ever done MSR H events.  The hot pit rules were different than anything else I've ever done though. 

Specifically, you can't check tire pressure, oil, coolant or anything in the hot pits.  Only thing you can do is add fuel/change driver.

Also, you are not allowed to change drivers in the hotpits unless you add fuel.  We were specifically told by an official walking up and down the pits that if we wanted to change drivers and not add fuel we had to drive off to the paddock.

Rules are rules, and if I've learned anything about Lemons, its DO NOT complain!!  I am just wondering if the hot pit rules for MSR H are the same for No Problem race as well?

Actually, is this the 'standard' rules for all races?   If it is then maybe it would be convenient to get them written down somewhere so new teams know what to expect?

Looking forward to another great race!

Team Operation

Re: Can't get Bayou Hot Pits rules

Hot pits? In Louisiana?

I'm pretty sure the only rule is you're not allowed to drink daiquiris while fueling

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

The fueling area is near the track exit. It's not a hot pit like MSRH. It's sorta away from the paddock. It's for fuel only. You can not open the hood there.

4 (edited by mharrell 2010-03-18 09:58 AM)

sergio wrote:

It's for fuel only. You can not open the hood there.

Hmmm.  What if refueling involves opening the hood?  I ask because I can cobble my two-stroke SAAB back together as either a "mixer" engine or an "injector" engine, but the latter would involve topping off the under-hood oil reservoir when refueling.  The former would only involve making sure to premix the petroil before pouring it into the gas tank.

Come to think of it, I suppose punching a hole in the hood over the reservoir might work, but even that would still give the appearance of doing more than 'adding fuel' during a stop.

Edit:  No, I'm not going to Louisiana, but I figure this might be an issue anywhere.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
sergio wrote:

It's for fuel only. You can not open the hood there.

Hmmm.  What if refueling involves opening the hood?  I ask because I can cobble my two-stroke SAAB back together as either a "mixer" engine or an "injector" engine, but the latter would involve topping off the under-hood oil reservoir when refueling.  The former would only involve making sure to premix the petroil before pouring it into the gas tank.

Come to think of it, I suppose punching a hole in the hood over the reservoir might work, but even that would still give the appearance of doing more than 'adding fuel' during a stop.

Edit:  No, I'm not going to Louisiana, but I figure this might be an issue anywhere.

Good point actually, our fuel cell will be under the hood so we'll have to pop the hood for fueling too.  (Our engine however is not under the hood)

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

MSR has had different fueling regs at each race.

No Problem has no hot pit.

I think they should have allowed driver changes in the Hot Pit at MSR.  We got cuaght in the same thing with the second car with the larger fuel cell. 

Traffic in the paddock is a safety hazard to consider.  I think it would have been safer to allow driver changes in the Hot Pit. 

I was also thinking they could use the grid area which was used the the penalty box in Feb 09 as a place to do driver changes, check fluids or whatever.  You could do more than in the hot pit while keeping paddock traffic down.

The crowd at MSR plus the spread out paddock would make things difficult for team in the back 40.

Regarding standard Pit Rules, different tracks have different pits making standard rules impossible.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

7 (edited by robertm 2010-03-19 06:49 AM)

I agree.  You should be able to do driver changes in the hotpits w/o fueling.   What we are planning to do now is walk up to the car open fuel door insert fuel nozzle, pull nozzle then do driver change.  Seems like more risk rather than less having to do a 'fake fuel' just to do driver change.  The idea of pulling off track to change drivers is out of the question.  We pulled off at MSRH to check oil (more important to preserve engine than win race) and there were a couple times we got stuck in traffic or some other bs.  Not going to risk that when we can do the 'fake fuel' in the hot pit or fueling area.

Judges what do ya think?

Team Operation

robertm wrote:

I agree.  You should be able to do driver changes in the hotpits w/o fueling.   What we are planning to do now is walk up to the car open fuel door insert fuel nozzle, pull nozzle then do driver change.  Seems like more risk rather than less having to do a 'fake fuel' just to do driver change.  The idea of pulling off track to change drivers is out of the question.  We pulled off at MSRH to check oil (more important to preserve engine than win race) and there were a couple times we got stuck in traffic or some other bs.  Not going to risk that when we can do the 'fake fuel' in the hot pit or fueling area.

Judges what do ya think?

FWIW, at MSR on the hot pit we just throw 5 gal or whatever is left in a can at each driver change. If there are a ton of yellows, we wont use as much fuel, and if there arnet very many, we need to have a full tank. Normally we only need about 5 gal to get it back up over the half mark, most of the time up in the 3/4 or full, depending on drivers. One guy uses twice the fuel of the other 3 for some reason.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

The fuel rules at Lamest Day were the same as at MSR-H this last go around. We did at least one 1-gallon fuel fill just to change drivers in the hot pits at NL because it was so much faster than driving through the mud-bog/paddock, what with all the foot traffic and the muddy one-lane gravel roads.

To me, it would make more sense to enforce fueling in a centralized area (like the hot pits or a regulated fuel-only station) from a fire-containment and safety issue, rather than allowing/mandating that fueling of these cars go on everywhere in the paddock. But then again, I don't own a track. Yet. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

10 (edited by robertm 2010-03-19 11:33 AM)

Baron wrote:

FWIW, at MSR on the hot pit we just throw 5 gal or whatever is left in a can at each driver change. If there are a ton of yellows, we wont use as much fuel, and if there arnet very many, we need to have a full tank. Normally we only need about 5 gal to get it back up over the half mark, most of the time up in the 3/4 or full, depending on drivers. One guy uses twice the fuel of the other 3 for some reason.

Yah most of our pit stops required fuel too.  A couple didn't though due to excessive yellows etc.   If we are required to 'add fuel' when all we need to do is change driver in the hot pits I'm going to get a Gerber sippy cup, attach a hose to it, and use that!  It will be my form of silent protest… Insert maniacal laugh here :-)

Team Operation

The only reason we come in for is either a penalty, or for gas. Well sure a mechanical problem will make us come in too. Under normal conditions, like crap is normal racing these cars, gas and a driver.