Topic: I just bought a DefNder head and neck restraint!

Much safer than a foam collar.
I'll share it with my team mates that buy themselves the helmet mounting kits.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: I just bought a DefNder head and neck restraint!

+1

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I'm looking pretty closely at those. The rest of the guys on my team are wanting to cheap out and buy the foam collars, but my mother gave me the money to get something better. Never underestimate the power of Mom on your safety budget.

I've also though pretty seriously about the Issac, but apparently there's an issue with certification.

The device was about $600 including tax and free installation at Wine Country Motor Sports.

Additional mounts are $75 installed.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

I just purchased one as well for my brother and I, it will make my mother worry less.

Since mother is always right, it's a cheap bit of insurance.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

I just bought a HANS.  If anyone needs one, I have a foam collar (I called it my FRANS) that I will give away for free.  It probably doesn't smell too great though.

7 (edited by sergio 2010-03-23 10:56 AM)

I just bought a HANS also. After the Sears Pointless crash n burn, and the 3 or 4 Gator O Rama flips, kinda made my mind up. Then to top it off, I was watching the Nascar  Legends at Bristol Saturday, that crash at the end, both those guys were knocked out for a couple minutes. That's a type crash that could happen in Lemons. If they would have been on fire it wouldn't have been pretty. Plus none of them were wearing a HANS. Some even had open face helmets. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsrdQfLSz8

My wife is a safety manager for a construction company, so she knows the value of being safe. $700 for some pretty damn good protection is way cheaper than a wheelchair......

Hubbie and I just bought a HANS for all of the reaons Sergio listed.  I've spent upwards of $1000 on a meal for the two of us - how could I justify cheaping out on my c-spine?

Yeah, not so much.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Yep, I just convinced the team to buy in on a DefNder.  Sharing might slow down our driver changes but it makes it affordable and more importantly keeps us safe.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I used one (defnder) at the last gator-o-rama and it was drastic improvement over the foam collar in terms of being able to turn your head and see traffic.

Yup, you can pick-up a HANS Device fro $700 installed, that is cheap insurance against a broken neck or paralysis.

12 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-04-01 06:44 PM)

I haven't ordered a neck restraint yet. Apparently the DefNder requires quite a bit of adjustment when it's swapped. Of all the certified restraints, which would be the easiest to swap between drivers?

doctawife wrote:

I've spent upwards of $1000 on a meal for the two of us

Holy Crap! I must be in the wrong business. I get pissed when it is close to $200 for 2, more or less $1K!!! I assume you are a docta from your id but sheesh. I knew software was a lucrative field and after a few useless pieces of paper on the wall and a few years banging on a keyboard I do well but maybe I should have been a docta instead....

EriktheAwful wrote:

I haven't ordered a neck restraint yet. Apparently the DefNder requires quite a bit of adjustment when it's swapped. Of all the certified restraints, which would be the easiest to swap between drivers?

The Hans would probably be easier to swap between drivers if their neck sizes are similar. That's what we are planning to do. Now if the damn guys I bought it from would ship it before the N.O. race..........

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Hans Sport for $650.

The Leatt Moto-R is out, and I've found $695 for now.  Definitely one to consider if you're purchasing something new and don't need FIA Hans.  The motorcycle version is super easy on/off and accommodating to varying sizes, and they appear to have used the same hinge design in the Moto-R.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Our drivers are similar sized, so the adjustments should not be an issue.

If I were 5 foot tall and had a 7 foot 6 co-driver, it would be trouble...

KT

18 (edited by doctawife 2010-05-03 11:25 AM)

huf_arted wrote:
doctawife wrote:

I've spent upwards of $1000 on a meal for the two of us

Holy Crap! I must be in the wrong business. I get pissed when it is close to $200 for 2, more or less $1K!!! I assume you are a docta from your id but sheesh. I knew software was a lucrative field and after a few useless pieces of paper on the wall and a few years banging on a keyboard I do well but maybe I should have been a docta instead....

Things I spend money on:

1) Lemons and Lemons related safety equipment.
2) Food (and the wine that goes with it).
3) House payment.

It's all about priorities.  Our next challenge is drilling our helmets.  <Gulp>  Needless to say, we'll be drilling mine first - it's cheaper.  The hubbie insisted on a Bell, while I was perfectly happy with a Pyrotect.  If mine cracks into bits I'm not sure what we'll do.  Anyone have any tips?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

Anyone have any tips?

Keep in mind I've never drilled a helmet so this is all based on my knowledge of drilling other fragile surfaces.

Tape the area you are going to drill with some masking tape.  It could help keep the edges from fracturing.

Work your way up to the hole size you need, start with a small pilot hole and then use progressively larger bits to work your way up to the final size.  A step drill might be good for this, but I'm not sure.

Come to think of it I have an old motorcycle helmet at home that I will probably use for some practice runs first

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I've drilled my helmet. But only because my wife wasn't in town.

Hey-oh!

But seriously folks, I have drilled a hole in my helmet for the rivet that holds the microphone/headphone connector, and it's really no big deal. Jim has it mostly right. Put some blue painter's tape or masking tape on the helmet, mark it with a pen, then drill a small pilot hole. Be careful to pull back the inner soft shell/lining so that you don't drill through that too; you might even be able to remove it depending on your helmet. You don't need a step drill, just regular small twist bits will be sufficient. The plastic on most helmets is pretty plastic (not to confuse a noun with an adjective) so you don't really need to worry about cracking it, you're not really putting a lot of pressure on the helmet so long as you start with a small pilot hole.

Good luck, and please tip your waitstaff, they work hard for the money.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Just think of it like drilling into a Corvette...

FRP aka fiberglass it pretty tough.  Usually what you see when you get sloppy drilling a hole is local radial cracking in the gelcoat from the punchthrough stress.  This is non-structural damage. 

One issue with FRP is that since the structure is under the gelcoat the only inexpensive way to tell if the FRP is damaged is to look for cracks in the gelcoat.  So a helmet with long cracks in the gelcoat around the crown is JUNK but one with short ( 1/4" ) radial cracks around a drilled hole is most likely caused by drilling not damage.

I've always used backing washers and strong adhesives on both sides when drilling a stressed mounting 'hole' in FRP.  Use permanent locktite and once tightened and glued, never adjust the bolt.  You want to spread the stress evenly to the fibers inside the structure.

YMMV, helmets are small and tight.  Follow the directions from the MFG and ignore me.  wink

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Just ordered the DefNder today ... $549 + free shipping from their website.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I'm really thinking long and hard about this:
http://www.procommradios.com/moto-r-brace.html

I decided against the DefNder because it's a pain to swap between drivers. I ended up ordering a HANS.

25 (edited by YesIFit 2010-04-30 03:46 AM)

Serj wrote:

I'm really thinking long and hard about this:
http://www.procommradios.com/moto-r-brace.html

I looked at that too, but it's recommended that you not use it unless your helmet came pre-drilled for a HNR from the factory. (I have the $495 Lemons special from Protect .. so no pre-drilled posts.)

EriktheAwful wrote:

I decided against the DefNder because it's a pain to swap between drivers. I ended up ordering a HANS.

Everyone on my team already has a HANS, and I wanted to upgrade from the dog collar, so I didn't need to worry about swapping.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama