1 (edited by 04 Rabbit Man 2010-03-28 01:25 PM)

Topic: FSI seat

If we are running a SFI seat do we need a back brace?
what if its out of date? (still better than a stock seat)

Re: FSI seat

I think you mean SFI?

Pursuant to Rule 3.2, all seats must be braced to prevent rearward failure in the event of an incident. The implementation that they've been looking for in tech is that the back of the seat is never more than 6" from a brace. That can be a movable brace (if your seat is on sliders) or it can just be your harness bar or an attachment to the harness bar.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Glad this came up. We are using a Ultra Shield Spec Miata seat and we have a Mutt n' Jeff situation which will make a proper seat brace a real PITA. When using an honest to Gawd race seat like this, is it still necessary to have the back brace or would it fall under the 6" rule?

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

FSI is what a new GTI has wink

I think you do have to have a brace... bolt on ones are available pretty cheap.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Glad this came up. We are using a Ultra Shield Spec Miata seat and we have a Mutt n' Jeff situation which will make a proper seat brace a real PITA. When using an honest to Gawd race seat like this, is it still necessary to have the back brace or would it fall under the 6" rule?

If the seat back is moved such that it can be more than 6" from a harness bar or other structure that prevents rearward failure, then it will need a back brace. The brace does not necessarily need to be fixed to the seat, just able to move so that the back of the seat is never >6" from the brace.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the clarification!

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

SFI is what I ment.  and what I need to know, dose the back brace need to be bolted to the seat?

04 Rabbit Man wrote:

SFI is what I ment.  and what I need to know, dose the back brace need to be bolted to the seat?

No. I've seen cars pass tech (including the Stick Figure Racing car I drove at Infineon) that did not bolt the brace to the seat. Their brace was movable so that it was never more than 6" from the back of the seat but was not attached.

Ok thats how both of our cars are so I think we are good!