Topic: Batteries inside the car

We've mounted our battery inside the car. (It made our kill switch wiring much simpler)
Currently it is mounted much more robustly than it was when it was stock underneath the hood, so I think the mounting is OK.
My question is, do we need a battery box to be legal? The terminals are well insulated, but do we need a full battery box?

Re: Batteries inside the car

Our battery is in our "trunk".  The quotes are required because there is nothing separating the battery from the driver.  We're using an el-cheapo (~$15 @ autozone) plastic battery box and have had no trouble with tech.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

My understanding is that a battery box would have to be costed, tell me if that's wrong.
We chose to move the battery from under the hood where it was safe and legal,
therefore any costs associated with the relocation will have to come out of the budget.
We'd obviously prefer to not use $15 of our $500 for this if we didn't need to.

I think battery box would fall within the safety exception.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Our battery in the Craptation is in the back seat.  Same deal-El Cheapo plastic box.  That is safety in my mind, but if you can't find $15 in your budget, try harder.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Da rules:
<<3.14: Battery: All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes. Zip ties, bungee cords, duct tape, macrame plant holders, and other lame workarounds won't cut it. Positive ("hot") terminals must be in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material.>>

Says battery must be secured by bracket or batt box.  That's a section 3-safety rule, so budget for the box is open, IMHO.  Also, as the OP pointed out, safety rules required buying new long batt cable to install interior master switch.  Now we have enough cable to move the batt from the front corner of the car to the pass. floor.

Of course right about now is the part where a member of the Lemons Supreme Court punches me in the throat and says "Judicial interpretation is OUR bailiwick, sucka!"

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

We have the battery in the passenger compartment in the Ghia. It is in a marine battery box that is strapped to two pieces of angle stock bolted to the floor. At the last Houston race, Tech told us that we also had to have the battery secured in the box.

All in all, just make sure you can demonstrate that even upside down that the battery is staying put.

We have an AGM type race battery and just a proper bracket to secure it.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

We have been concerned about this as well, mainly related to budget.

If I'm reading correctly, the battery box AND cables are "safety"?  I assumed it wasn't, but we we had a freebie used marine box at a co-driver's shop that we'd like to use.  We can get the cables cheap, but it would still be nice to know what is under the $500.

See you at Gingerboy!

Tullamore wrote:

We have an AGM type race battery and just a proper bracket to secure it.

Same, using a stock steel tie bar bolted through the floor with one side against the wall of the spare tire well and the other an L bracket. Held from all sides!

Odyssey and/or Braille depending on if I want the car to start in the morning.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade