1 (edited by estomax 2023-05-03 11:23 AM)

Topic: Another racing seat / fitment question

Hey Guys,

First time Lemons newbie here, and first time racing seat purchase newbie too. I cannot for the life of me find any good guides online for how a racing seat should fit. Everyone says it should be tight but comfortable to spend a long time in, but I can't figure out where the harness holes in the back should be with regards to my shoulders or if the halo side protectors should be above my face or below my face.

I found a seat locally on craigslist and went to check it out, it was real snug, but maybe workable. I felt really giant in it though. This is a Momo 1077BLK seat. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mom-1077blk

Being Lemons, i am trying to be cheap and not spend a grand on a seat, but safety is important and we are splitting it five ways so i am willing to swallow my pride and buy new if i have to.

A video of me sitting in this one, i am the tallest/biggest person on the team, so if it fits me, it will fit the smaller guys too, thats why i am using myself as the yardstick. I had a video taken and would like your feedback, where should the harness holes reach to with regards to shoulders and where should the halo hoops be with regards to my head. Right now my shoulders are two inches above the bottom of the harness hole and my head looks over the halo hoops.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2W2mXwpi25th6bzNA

Thanks for your 2 cents everyone and see you all in October in Shelton, WA!
Marko

Re: Another racing seat / fitment question

I've only got one of those pennies that the train ran over when I was twelve. That said, my rules of thumb:

The shoulder belts shouldn't touch the seat holes on the top or the bottom.

What this means is a person can be too small for a seat because the belts are restraining the seat, not the person.

It's easier to make someone bigger with seat inserts than it is to make the seat bigger or a person smaller.

That guy

We've been using the Corbeau Forza for many years. Its a nice, solidly built seat at a reasonable price.

Here is a link.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csu-29101s

We purchased a car and it had a SPARCO Evo and I like it better but its also like double the cost. Not sure I like it 2x as much.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Bimarco.eu; Poland, non-FIA seats can be around $400 delivered here in the US.

That seat looks fine to me.  Keep in mind with your HANS device your belts will sit even higher.  Also you wont really be able to turn your head much with a HANS on. 

We upgraded to a HALO seat like that (Bimarco), but we also have a lot of exit room in our car.  You might want to make sure the head side protection won't keep you from exiting your vehicle in an emergency.

If you list your car, you might get recommendations specific to your car.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

If you don't need brand new you might consider mine.
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 10#p349810

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Thanks for the feedback, i assume most halo seats will have similar head heights to this one then. I have had it in my head that the seat needs to be FIA but i guess for Lemons it doesnt technically have to be, after rechecking the rules.

We should have decent exit room in the car as we will have the seat on a slider, but for what its worth, its a 2006 bmw 330i from copart.

delinquentracer, that seat would be a good option but shipping it to the northwest sounds very painful and expensive

Should have plenty of room in a 330.  Make sure you put the seat where you want to build the cage around it.

The Bimarco at $400 shipped for the non-FIA version is pretty nice.  I have the FIA version and I can't tell the difference to the non-FIA.  Comfy and roomy.  Works for drivers 5'2" to 6'2"ish.

Seats come up on craigslist, FB and offer up all the time as well. Maybe join some local rally buy/sell groups and pick up some expired FIA seats.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

9 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2023-05-04 10:02 AM)

estomax wrote:

delinquentracer, that seat would be a good option but shipping it to the northwest sounds very painful and expensive

See if any PNW teams will bring it back from THill for you, if you can wait that long.
Regardless, I'm fairly certain it'd still be the cheapest option with shipping costs.
Your choice.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I can say from personal experience that if it's too tight around the hip bones, you will be miserable after a half hour or so.  Every time I drove that car I could barely walk after doing a 2hr stint.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 Pedal Mafia has a podcast, EvryoneRacers, and they covered this topic. Here is a link.
https://youtu.be/dAteyjzPNks

and here is one on how to install
https://youtu.be/dAteyjzPNks

Good content from a seasoned race team

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023

The links are the same. The meat of the discussion seems to start about 40min. into the video; some good information there.

I searched, but can't find episode 178 - the install video mentioned (too much junk from other media), which I'm interested to see.