Topic: Lexan, where to find

So I got an email back from Pagel saying 3/8 minimum thickness polycarbonate for a rear lift gate. Where do you even find it that thick other than super specialized suppliers?

Re: Lexan, where to find

How far away from SE PA are you?

eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202797934827?h … R7Cw8-P_YQ

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

How far away from SE PA are you?

About 600 miles

https://www.e-tplastics.com/ would be one.
I bet mcmaster has them
just no idea where you at.... I bet there is somewhere local industrial supplier. and I bet bunch of them have cnc cutting available as well

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Try a custom outdoor sign manufacturer? Maybe they'll sell (give) you some for advertising their service.

Thread drift warning:
There's a custom sign company near me that I delivered to (after hours) where I was able to peek in while the package was being received; they had some amazing stuff going on inside. It was totally cool seeing the middle processes in progress, even when everything was stopped and sitting. I had some time talking to the lead while he was checking the shipment - totally cool stuff.

Mcmaster is never the wallet friendly option, but they will get it to you fast, and they do have it.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/polyc … ycarbonate

Your best bet is finding a local plastic supplier or sign shop. Hard to answer with a specific place for your area. Around me there is both Piedmont Plastics, and Polymershapes, both of which happily sell various materials to members of the local makerspace.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Stop.

Do not install 3/8" thick lexan.

John must have fat-fingered and / or typo'd the response.

The correct answer is 3/32" (0.093".) This is the standard lexan thickness for ALL OTHER racing series. Even pro-rally, which has THE most strict safety standards of all amateur motorsports only requires 0.093" lexan (unless it's the front, that's a different story). Every single car with a lexan rear window at a Lemons race will have a 0.093" sheet.

The Pentastar whisperer

9 (edited by chaase 2023-05-09 09:59 AM)

Bayley wrote:

Stop.

The correct answer is 3/32" (0.093".) This is the standard lexan thickness for ALL OTHER racing series. Even pro-rally, which has THE most strict safety standards of all amateur motorsports only requires 0.093" lexan (unless it's the front, that's a different story). Every single car with a lexan rear window at a Lemons race will have a 0.093" sheet.

I was going to say, 3/8" lexan is thick stuff. We replaced all the windows in our Saturn Wagon w/Lexan(except windshield) but I think we used 1/8" and never had a problem. Maybe he meant 1/8" or 3/32"

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Bayley wrote:

Stop.

I will reply to message and ask for clarification

+1... my understanding is 1/4" lexan is overqualified for a front windshield, and about half of that is more than enough for a rear. 3/8" for rear sounds crazy.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i