Re: Are S197 Mustang GTs too cheaty?

bspeed wrote:
rb92673 wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

As far as I have experienced, no car is turned away. You'll just get penalty laps based on an entirely subjective valuation of your car. Don't sweat it. Do the thing and have fun.

The only car I have seen turned away was a Corvette with all the body panels removed Exocet style at HPR.  The cage was also too short for their driver.

That being said, there was a very fast Mustang at the MSR Houston race a while back.  It didn't even make a couple of laps before it went into the wall.  Cars that are faster than the rest of the field tend to sort themselves out by either blowing up or crashing, hopefully not hurting anyone in the process.

I would suggest finding something else if you want to actually enjoy yourself at the race.

Yea...Not necessarily true.  We built the corvette mentioned above.  Cage was more than OK.  But it was turned away from Lemons due to the fact that we made all of our own body panels.  Rules do state you must have OE body parts....which we didn't because the car had been rolled over.  (thats how you get a car to meet the budget)  It was disappointing it was turned away, but we understand why.

The Corvette is currently running in another series that would allow it.  In fact here is a video of Randy Pobst driving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_t519OEY5w

Moral of the story is stay within the sprit/budget of things and you'll be fine....just don't make your own body.

My bad.  It looked like fun though.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Brakes, on these pigs of cars,

Try a Gen III F-body, lol

Was that y'all in the white F-body? Basically a "Formula" fire chicken? That thing was fast AF, and sounded glorious...well done! And yes, between a 3rd gen F-body, and a Foxbody Mustang...we are most definitely trying to make pigs fly. Hmmm, I sense a theme....

Jeremy
Racecar: '93 Mustang GT, stock, Lemons prepped, PITA - https://www.facebook.com/PrincessButtercupRacing, Soon-To-Be Racecar: '95 318ti
DD: '21 Jeep Wrangler
Fun vehicle: '13 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

gtopat wrote:

There was an S197 GT at the NJ race last weekend. I wandered over an talked to them for a while Friday night. The thing was hella cheaty, then the owner dropped “we shift at 7000 every time” I knew what I was looking at. But true to his word, that raucous 3 valve went screaming by me lap after lap until they literally drove the wheels off. Damn that thing was fast.

Ford Modulars rock. The S197 chassis is basically a cheapened DEW98 that underpinned junk like the Lincoln LS and Jag S-type. Very capable platform

Was that the one that was done up like a dirt track sprint car (e.g. HUGE wing on the roof)? If so, yeah, he was brutally quick. I saw him come up behind me a few times...I just pointed him by and got out of the way. LOL Yes, they literally drove the wheels off...it was nasty!

Jeremy
Racecar: '93 Mustang GT, stock, Lemons prepped, PITA - https://www.facebook.com/PrincessButtercupRacing, Soon-To-Be Racecar: '95 318ti
DD: '21 Jeep Wrangler
Fun vehicle: '13 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

29 (edited by Mr.Yuck 2023-06-17 02:56 PM)

RandomSquirrel wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Brakes, on these pigs of cars,

Try a Gen III F-body, lol

Was that y'all in the white F-body? Basically a "Formula" fire chicken? That thing was fast AF, and sounded glorious...well done! And yes, between a 3rd gen F-body, and a Foxbody Mustang...we are most definitely trying to make pigs fly. Hmmm, I sense a theme....

No but our old car (84 L69 TransAm RIP) was pretty fast and it was white. Our new car is an 88 WS6 car. old ride at NJMP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Have seen early S197 Stangs race at Gingerman w/out much fuss. Don't think they had V8s, but I suspect it would be a nice platform to build from. Starting to be common in junkyards.

Hoffshaw/Hinmann wrote:

Have seen early S197 Stangs race at Gingerman w/out much fuss. Don't think they had V8s, but I suspect it would be a nice platform to build from. Starting to be common in junkyards.

Those have been ones with the holdover 4.0L V6...which I'm just learning was the final iteration of the Cologne instead of a version of the Essex from the SN-95 like I always thought. Good lord. The spec sheet says they make 210 HP, but that in no way can be remotely correct in the real world.

Anyway, the platform seems like it can work alright. The pair that have run at Gingerman aren't run by super-ambitious teams so they aren't setting the world on fire with lap times, but the Sakai one in particular has run without any major issues. Considering how many Neon engines they brutalized over three seasons, it's a pretty sharp contrast.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
Hoffshaw/Hinmann wrote:

Those have been ones with the holdover 4.0L V6...which I'm just learning was the final iteration of the Cologne instead of a version of the Essex from the SN-95 like I always thought. Good lord. The spec sheet says they make 210 HP, but that in no way can be remotely correct in the real world.

Anyway, the platform seems like it can work alright. The pair that have run at Gingerman aren't run by super-ambitious teams so they aren't setting the world on fire with lap times, but the Sakai one in particular has run without any major issues. Considering how many Neon engines they brutalized over three seasons, it's a pretty sharp contrast.

We've tried everything we can to blowup a 2.9 Cologne, we just can't do it....maybe we should put a turbo on it....Can we stay in C with a turbo 2.9 in a Ranger?

Bricoop wrote:
therood wrote:
Hoffshaw/Hinmann wrote:

We've tried everything we can to blowup a 2.9 Cologne, we just can't do it....maybe we should put a turbo on it....Can we stay in C with a turbo 2.9 in a Ranger?

https://i.imgur.com/CNEQxNB.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

The pair that have run at Gingerman aren't run by super-ambitious teams

Ambition is way overrated

Cordoba