Topic: Indiana Newbies consider running the '23 Rust Belt Ramble

Hello!

Myself and my buddies are all college students at Purdue University and we have long been fans of the Lemons Races and Rallies. To start senior year with a bang, we are considering running the '23 Rust Belt Ramble but I wanted to get a better idea of what we would be getting ourselves into on this rally specifically. I've read through older posts and have a sense of what to bring, but I wanted to make this post for more pointers.

For context, we are three friends who love old and clapped vehicles. We would be taking a butt-terrible (but fairly reliable) '91 GMC un-converted handicap van as a support vehicle to bring the essentials (food, luggage, tools, parts, etc.) and my buddy's fresh LS swapped '83 GMC k10 as our rally vehicle. We have no idea for a theme or anything yet, just trying to see if we can make this happen.

Questions I have at the moment:
- What is the pre-rally meet-up like? How early do you usually need to get to the meet-up spot?
- Do different teams usually drive the route together? Is it better to go solo?
- Anything unusual or exciting we need to be prepared for? (other than both vehicles probably going down at the same time of course)

If you're from the Purdue area and want to join us for this possible adventure, let me know! Overall, we are above average mechanics and we can probably troubleshoot our way through most things (fingers-crossed).

Thanks!

Ethan B

Re: Indiana Newbies consider running the '23 Rust Belt Ramble

- What is the pre-rally meet-up like? How early do you usually need to get to the meet-up spot?

Like meeting friends for a beer. Hang out, meet cool people, see ridiculous cars.

- Do different teams usually drive the route together? Is it better to go solo?

Definitely some teams "team up" with other teams, but usually since the route is "point A to point B", you will encounter plenty of other teams as long as you are generally travelling along the checkpoint list. Also, if you pull over, other teams will stop to help. I pulled over to take a phone call and during the 10 minutes four teams stopped to see if I had broken down.

TL;DR, you will have no problems making friends along the way.

- Anything unusual or exciting we need to be prepared for? (other than both vehicles probably going down at the same time of course)

You already read the old articles on what to bring. My advice is to savor the journey and just take things in stride as they happen. We found ourselves completing the checkpoints too quickly in some cases, so spend a few minutes learning about the history. My co-pilot works at a history museum so on the way to the stop I was hearing about all the history of the next checkpoint, was really cool actually.

Don't feel like you have to over-plan. And last advice is to make sure if something DOES happen to you that's weird or interesting, share that story with the rallymasters. Points and awards are completely subjective and arbitrary, so you could have an absolute sh*t day and still get recognized for your efforts (or failures).

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

sounds like you might want to consider taking the van as the rally vehicle, and save yourself some gas money by leaving the truck home? But I suppose you could take both  on the rally and just not pay the entry fee for the van? Hmmm.....I don't recall anyone every taking a car on the rally that wasn't registered to run the rally?

The meetups are pretty casual,  but plan to get an early start every day, and don't be surprised if you end up with a late finish every night also. That means you had extra fun along the way! which I think is the point of all this nonsense.

Traveling with another team (or two) works, there are pros and cons. I've done it both with another team, and by myself, it was fun both ways.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

The pre-rally meetup for this particularly rally takes place at the yard for a local tour bus company.  They usually throw their gates open around 6 pm for you to pull in, show off your car, meet other rally people and also meet the rally's organizers.  They do a silly bus tour that's $45/person, and if you go on it they'll take you to a couple vehicularly historically significant places around Motor City and make you do some ridiculous stuff.  There also might be a food stop.

Jeff has actually started encouraging people to travel in packs and hit checkpoints together, which creates a built in support system when (not if) someone breaks down.  I was one of the people who broke down on day one last year, and our whole group stopped to get me going again.  So I'd definitely recommend hanging with a group, especially those wacky guys who are planning on bringing a Mini Cooper disguised as a Jeep.

Having a support vehicle isn't necessarily what the Rally's about, but with this being your first time it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it around if it's actually going to be of help.  If it's as likely to break down as your rally ride, I don't see the need to bring it.  You'd get more points riding three-across in an old pickup.  You can't have more than one car per team on the rally, though.  One car = one entry.

What they said!!! ^^^^. I planned to travel in a pack last year, then went solo with my copilot.  Would have had more fun running in a pack, and will this year.

I second just running the bus...but you have a plan...roll.with it!

Find me...I'll be the guy in the ambulance this year! It's gonna be fun!

Support vehicle? Ain't no one got time for that? Enter it. The more, the merrier. More opportunity for stupid shit.

We look forward to seeing you there. We will be rocking a "college theme" in our piece of automotive mediocrity. It is more fun than a barrel of monkeys (are they really that fun?). It took us about 35 minutes to become full-blown, Lemons Rally addicts.

Granny Motorsports

Jim T, Chief Check Writer @Granny Motorsports (@granny_motorsports on the instagram machine)

'77 Ford Granada (Have you driven a Ford lately?)
28th place-'22 Rust Belt Ramble

Thank you all for the input! This really gives us a better picture of what to expect. Now we're more excited than ever!

Still tossing around our vehicle line-up, should be interesting whatever we end up bringing. All three of us are pretty big guys, so fitting us all in the truck probably won't work for that long of a trip.

One more question I have is if the recommended hotels are a must for a full Lemons rally experience? Obviously, we want to have the most fun as possible, but I wanted to see if you all think it's worth it to splurge on the recommended hotels or buy a cheaper hotel close to it.

Thanks!

Ethan B

buck38 wrote:

Thank you all for the input! This really gives us a better picture of what to expect. Now we're more excited than ever!

Still tossing around our vehicle line-up, should be interesting whatever we end up bringing. All three of us are pretty big guys, so fitting us all in the truck probably won't work for that long of a trip.

One more question I have is if the recommended hotels are a must for a full Lemons rally experience? Obviously, we want to have the most fun as possible, but I wanted to see if you all think it's worth it to splurge on the recommended hotels or buy a cheaper hotel close to it.

Thanks!

Ethan B

Get what you can afford, the hotels are just suggestions. Some people just sleep in their cars for free somewhere, some people cash out hotel points and stay nearby, some people couchsurf. Entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

From my experience, there's not too much in terms of shenanigans that go on at the suggested rally hotels. You will definitely see other teams though staying there, but it's not a requirement.

PS, if you need a place to stay in Columbus, that's my hometown and I have room for rally couchsurfers.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Thanks Mike for the input! Really appreciate your offer to crash your couch and will keep it in mind. My buddy with the k10 is from Marysville, OH and our tentative plan is to crash his place after we hit the Columbus end of day checkpoint.

buck38 wrote:

Thanks Mike for the input! Really appreciate your offer to crash your couch and will keep it in mind. My buddy with the k10 is from Marysville, OH and our tentative plan is to crash his place after we hit the Columbus end of day checkpoint.

I'm in Canal Winchester, so a little closer but the same idea. See you for ice cream in german village then.

I've never been in a rally where anyone had a support vehicle.  If you can secure some tools and engine fluids in the K10, that might be the way to go.  Or if the van might be more comfortable, bring that--you'll spend at least ten hours in your ride each day.  It's not so much a race as it is a scavenger hunt, so fun can be had in whatever you bring.  Unlike the Rocky Mountain rallies where you often get no signal on a phone for long stretches (Idaho, anyone?), Rust Belt will be within a cell tower much of the time in case something catastrophic happens and you need to call a tow truck or arrange a trailer to get your hooptie back home (or to the salvage yard, if you've truly given up on it).  Themes can win some points but are optional as well.  I only go on the rallies to enjoy the route and the hunt for checkpoints; I know I'll never win, so having that stress out of the process makes it much more fun in my opinion. And since I do it solo, I have to forgo some of the daily challenges so I can get in at a decent hour.  The rally is whatever you want to make of it.

Dinners and/or gatherings are all optional, but a good way to meet up with others and compare progress. Since there wasn't an official pre-rally get-together for Rocky Mtn this year, I put the word out to meet at a specific spot in Casper WY and I believe there were about eight or nine of us in attendance. Short version--if there are weirdos with hoopties on a crazy mission around three states, they'll find a way to congregate.

I'm likely sitting out this one. But I might pop in for a visit the morning of the rally start (I live only 20 minutes away).  I've had four road trips already this year (including Rocky Mtn Breakdown) and a fifth coming up in late September. That and the timing of this rally isn't so good with the Woodward Dream Cruise the same weekend, and a couple of friends might be driving in for that.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage