Topic: Anyone remember the 2016 HELL ON WHEELS motel in Bakersfield CA?

I'm arranging a sports car tour this October, considering running through Bakersfield but I can't find a tolerable motel... then I remembered the one the 2016 HELL ON WHEELS rally went through was pretty good for a bunch of idiots with foolish cars.

Anyone remember the name of the place? I can't find it in my surviving paperwork.

The day's final meet point was 18th St Bar & Grill, 816 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA, so the motel cant be far from there.

I'm pretty sure the date was 18 August.

Any help with finding that hotel appreciated!

tom

Re: Anyone remember the 2016 HELL ON WHEELS motel in Bakersfield CA?

Based on my vague recollection of what it took to walk to and from the bar and combining that with a map, I think I stayed at the nearby Best Western Plus Hill House which I also think was probably the officially recommended venue. The name seems familiar, too, as does the footbridge on the way. Eric Rood is your best hope for the original documentation.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Based on my vague recollection of what it took to walk to and from the bar and combining that with a map, I think I stayed at the nearby Best Western Plus Hill House

Yes! That's it! I remembered what it looked like and the street arrangement, google street view verifies.

I didn't want to bug Eric with such trivia, but yeah the guy knows all.

Thanks so much!

tom

tomicdesu wrote:

I didn't want to bug Eric with such trivia...

You're quite welcome but there's no need to hesitate on such a point because I'm pretty sure Eric delights in such trivia.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

did it look like this?

http://selectric.org/16main/hotel%20bakersfield.jpg

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

It was the BW Plus. What I remember about that evening was being dumbfounded that the bar was closing at what, 10 pm?

“hey, the place is full of people drinking and laughing and the state of CA says closing time is in FOUR HOURS but rules are rules, right?”

That, and I wish I’d gotten a pic of Alan (CowDriver)s face when he walked in, explaining that the clevis pin fell out of his brake pedal, leaving him nearly T boning a police car with a brakeless Humber!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)