Topic: 2007 Saturn Aura XE

Greetings. I received a free 2007 Saturn Aura in good condition from my daughter. She bought it from her boyfriend's family for $300 and used it as a temporary car until she bought her new Toyota.

When I say "good condition" I mean it needs a starter, ECU, neutral switch and maybe a rear main oil seal. It has over 200k miles. Thoughts on making this a Lemons car? Also, if the engine blows up in the meantime, any suggestions for a replacement?

The body and interior are in great condition (except the bullet ricochet on the hood, I may or may not have missed aiming at a woodchuck in my wife's garden).

My friend says to skip Lemons and just blow it up. I am taking that as a challenge and just maybe at least get it into a Lemons Rally.

Thanks in advance (I have thick skin so fire away).

Jim

Re: 2007 Saturn Aura XE

Cage it and race it!

That guy

I say send it.

If you have the means to build the cage or the money to pay someone else to do it, why not just go for it?

You mention the engine blowing up in the meantime, was the car $300 because it knocks or is it just high mileage? If it's just high mileage then, in the event it randomly blows up, I don't really think there would be an issue swapping in a similar mileage engine of the same kind. It's a ~3600lb sedan that will be C or B class depending on how hooptie we're talking. It makes decent power so it isn't necessarily bottom of the barrel.

If you're concerned about the budget on repairing the broken stuff: lie. "The ECU wasn't having issues, one of the plugs were loose!". "The rear main was an easy fix with a thick sludge we all love called stop leak"! "The neutral safety switch was $5". "What do you mean 'where is the original engine'? This is the original engine, the previous owner must have swapped it yearsssss ago".

It's not a popular or competitive car. Scrutiny will always be there but be extremely limited. Significantly more wiggle room and BS leeway than if you showed up with a Miata.

I mentioned it blowing up because I don't know the history of the engine (and yes, it was $300 and has over 200k). Not worrying about being competitive, just want it to be steady and complete a race. When I manage to get it ready for racing, it will be my first. So, not too worried.

Everyone here (myself included) will tell you to Lemons it. The Ecotec or the 3.5L V6 have both been pretty solid engines (and you should be able to find plenty of replacements in junkyards for either), just don't try to drive it like a race car.

As long as it's relatively close to stock, it'll probably be a Class C car. These things are heavy and the weight isn't exactly well balanced (would guess from driving an '11 Malibu that it's close to 65/35). Find good brake pads--people here have opinions about which ones are best--but make sure they'll last and add some ducting to keep them cool.

We're always eager for more Saturns in Lemons. Still haven't had an L-Series, Vue, Aura, Astra, Relay, or an Ion Redline (though we have had a "normal" Ion).

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

As a Saturn racer myself...do it!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

7 (edited by duthehustle93 2023-08-30 11:18 AM)

It's always cheaper to buy pre-built than to build, no matter how cheap your starting car is... like half price or less. So if your in it for the cost savings, go prebuilt. If your doing it because you genuinely want to on this particular car... those engines are tanks and are everywhere. Not sure about that particular transmission, but I would imagine it's not that bad. Would honestly make a good Lemons car, but it's never cheap to build one from scratch.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

You have a built in theme with the story. Make a giant wood chuck for the roof and get people to try and shoot it using nerf/air soft guns.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

duthehustle93 wrote:

It's always cheaper to buy pre-built than to build, no matter how cheap your starting car is... like half price or less. So if your in it for the cost savings, go prebuilt. If your doing it because you genuinely want to on this particular car... those engines are tanks and are everywhere. Not sure about that particular transmission, but I would imagine it's not that bad. Would honestly make a good Lemons car, but it's never cheap to build one from scratch.

Definitely. I've seen complete or nearly complete Lemons cars for sale cheaper than I paid to have my cage fabricated. I just already had the $500 car and realllllly want to send it around the track.

"just don't try to drive it like a race car" Great advice.

To help remedy this, I am going to add active aeros to the car (think Hoonigan's Family Huckster). But, instead of having them activate when braking, they will activate when I hit a specific MPH. Problem solved.

"You have a built in theme with the story. Make a giant wood chuck for the roof and get people to try and shoot it using nerf/air soft guns".

Genius