Re: 2024 Schedule Complaining Thread

what about Flatrock, Tennessee....
looks nice...!

https://flatrockmotorclub.com/

or too shee, shee?

JOURNEY TO A PLACE
WHERE DRIVING IS AN ART FORM!!!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

what about Flatrock, Tennessee....
looks nice...!

Looks like it's not even built yet. Hard to schedule a race without the track being open?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

28 (edited by KeiCarMike 2023-10-26 06:41 PM)

- Me having to give money to other series to race Mid Ohio.
- Ferrous Trophies...
- Rust Belt Ramble does not end at PittRace, Joliet or Gingerman
- Joliet overdue for a heat wave race with repeated Mid July dates
- Concours D'Lemons dates are old 2023 dates?

But another big complaint.... FEES INCREASED AGAIN! You're supposed to scare away champcar teams by giving them penalty laps assigned by vermin supreme, not by charging more fees than them... Renting a transponder, camping and adding two crewmembers is going to put things close to $2k now...

I'd still love to see a "Lemons Lite" series that's entry limited to something like 30 cars, slightly cheaper, and that can operate at smaller tracks (Putnam, Grattan, Summit Point, etc..)

PS complaint, Ozarks...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

**Some points**

Fair points. Our operational costs aren't getting any lower and we are actively working on reducing them as much as we reasonably can.

KeiCarMike wrote:

PS complaint, Ozarks...

Man, I don't see how any series that is reliant on car count can make a go of that place. It's so incredibly far from major population centers and the indications I've seen is that it is not a cheap place to rent. It's easy for a few dozen people to say "I'd tow there (8-10 hours) if it was on the calendar!" but that doesn't typically pan out at all.

We can make Hallett work because it's (A) half the distance to Dallas and (B) the family who run it don't charge an arm and a leg (which makes it even more amazing that everything at that track just freaking works).

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

30 (edited by rozap_ 2023-10-27 09:56 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

But another big complaint.... FEES INCREASED AGAIN! You're supposed to scare away champcar teams by giving them penalty laps assigned by vermin supreme, not by charging more fees than them... Renting a transponder, camping and adding two crewmembers is going to put things close to $2k now...

Yea there's a $400 difference between the fees this year and That Other Series if you have a 5 person team. That's 4/5ths of a Lemons car.

I get that everything is expensive now, people gotta get paid, and I don't have any sense of how complicated it is to organize events like these, but eventually (not that I think I'm there yet...) there does come a point where the positive vibes don't justify the premium over That Other Series. Also this is a designated complaining thread so I'm just doing what was asked of me.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

KeiCarMike wrote:

+1.... Lemons is still my favorite series and it's still going to be my first choice between the few options. I completely understand things get more expensive and the USD is rapidly becoming worthless this year. However, another series that's named based on mans' best friend, has comparable entry fees and about 1/2-2/3rds the amount entries. I actually like the packed field that comes with Lemons, but it also surprises me that it doesn't result in lower entry fees.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

32 (edited by puttcharlie 2023-10-27 02:41 PM)

Camper Van Someren wrote:

I’ve said it the past few years but since you’re asking for complaints, I’ll say it again:

I would love a race that is closer than 8h from Arizona. My truck has broken 2 years in a row towing over the mountains to HPR.

I'm sitting here looking at the Apex Motor Club near Maricopa, and I'm wondering:  Too expensive, No viable weekends or do they just not want 24HOL?  Looks like a great venue for the crispy southwesterners.

Edit: Sorry, Eric.  I didn't see until after I posted that you did mention Apex.  So then I'll ask, if not Apex, what about Wild Horse Pass?  Too small tracks?

duthehustle93 wrote:

[snip] ... and the USD is rapidly becoming worth< >less this year[ftfy]. [snip]

To be fair, in 2022 USD reached a several-decade+ high against a basket of currencies; currently it's doing several (5) points higher against the Euro (my personal comparative benchmark) than forecast, which is nice. Appears much of the rest of the world is having inflation worse than ours, which ... umm ... helps(?)

Wild horse is boring, small, and in a previous life offended the chief perp.

Obligatory complaint:
[Robot arms] y u no race Dominion in Virginia!?!?!?1?[/robot arms]

That guy

My only gripe is the hole where CMP Fall used to be. That race (and parade) was the highlight of my season, still very sad the date is gone.

Pitt to Spring CMP is annoying, but I understand they are different regions. We'll probably try to pull both off, after our light '23 season.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

puttcharlie wrote:
Camper Van Someren wrote:

I’ve said it the past few years but since you’re asking for complaints, I’ll say it again:

I would love a race that is closer than 8h from Arizona. My truck has broken 2 years in a row towing over the mountains to HPR.

I'm sitting here looking at the Apex Motor Club near Maricopa, and I'm wondering:  Too expensive, No viable weekends or do they just not want 24HOL?  Looks like a great venue for the crispy southwesterners.

Edit: Sorry, Eric.  I didn't see until after I posted that you did mention Apex.  So then I'll ask, if not Apex, what about Wild Horse Pass?  Too small tracks?

Apex seems to be very exclusive. I haven’t seen NASA or ProAutoSports ever run there, which is why I assumed they wouldn’t want a bunch of leaky cars with dumb paint jobs. But maybe I’m wrong. I’d race anywhere in AZ.

Lemons ran WHP West once, and say they wouldn’t go back. WHP is about to be closed by the Salt River Tribe anyway.

Thanks to whomever for updating the High Plains 2024 dates! Much, much better now.

To address the rumors, was the concurrent scheduling of the Lemons true-24 with the "real" Le Mans a coincidence or intentional?

Turbo-Encabulators -- 1999 Mazda Miata -- Winner overall, BFE GP '22, runner-up a bunch of times

Teuobk wrote:

Thanks to whomever for updating the High Plains 2024 dates! Much, much better now.

To address the rumors, was the concurrent scheduling of the Lemons true-24 with the "real" Le Mans a coincidence or intentional?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/00/d0/6c00d037bae80cce7f4d137612aae0ee.jpg

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Why was the 24 hour High Plains race moved from September to June?

Seat of Your Pants Racing
2000 Jetta VR6
1988 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo "Ricky Schroder" {SOLD}
2x 24 hour race runner, 1x 24 hour race finisher.

TRendahl91 wrote:

Why was the 24 hour High Plains race moved from September to June?

Staying up all night wrenching on crapcans is much more pleasant when the weather is warmer....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Any plans on bringing a full 24hr race back to the East Coast?

derekste wrote:

bring back ferrous trophies!

Me requesting anything related to a trophy is like a homeless wretch complaining about the capital gains tax, but yeah, winning is hard and should have some decent token to show for it. +1

duthehustle93 wrote:
KeiCarMike wrote:

close to $2k now...

However, another series that's named based on mans' best friend, has comparable entry fees and about 1/2-2/3rds the amount entries. I actually like the packed field that comes with Lemons, but it also surprises me that it doesn't result in lower entry fees.

That series makes you plaster YOUR car with THEIR sponsor's ads to make up the difference.  Hell their drivers meeting, at the only such race I have attended, spent more time shilling for a hyper-mega-expensive watch brand than covering the rules.

ukemike wrote:

That series makes you plaster YOUR car with THEIR sponsor's ads to make up the difference.  Hell their drivers meeting, at the only such race I have attended, spent more time shilling for a hyper-mega-expensive watch brand than covering the rules.

I hate all those sponsor stickers.

Lemons has been using a picture of my car in the eBay ads for a couple of years.  I don't know if I should feel honored or offended.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/ebay-motors/

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

not complaining just curios. what about Pocono raceway? is that even an option or do they not want the likes of us there?

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

etb1009 wrote:

not complaining just curios. what about Pocono raceway? is that even an option or do they not want the likes of us there?

It's on our list of possibilities, but there's not much space in the schedule for it right now.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
etb1009 wrote:

It's on our list of possibilities, but there's not much space in the schedule for it right now.

Pocono would be fun!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
therood wrote:
etb1009 wrote:

Pocono would be fun!

I know of at least 2 ancient, underpowered, poor handling, two door luxury coupes that will definitely make POCONO if it gets on the list!!

Cordoba

Not a complaint, but curious -

Barber is 240 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but is in the "South" region rather than the "Gulf".   Hallett is in land-locked Oklahoma, 550 miles from the Gulf but is in the "Gulf" region rather than the "Midwest".  ???

Stan in Bham wrote:

Not a complaint, but curious -

Barber is 240 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but is in the "South" region rather than the "Gulf".   Hallett is in land-locked Oklahoma, 550 miles from the Gulf but is in the "Gulf" region rather than the "Midwest".  ???

Maps R Hard...