1 (edited by etb1009 2023-11-07 04:25 PM)

Topic: brake venting and a few other questions

hey all, we are still working on our new Lemons car hoping to have it ready for pit trace 2024, I have a few questions I am hoping to get some help with so I don't do something stupid other than building a Lemons cars lol the car is a GTI for reference

1. I am looking at installing some venting for the rear brakes, I was going to do a NCCA duct to each but that would mean cutting holes through the car from the inside, I wanter to know if there was any reason or rule that I might have missed that would not allow me to do this as it is a unibody car.

2. for driver venting I wanted to use the stock front fresh air inlet but it is close to the firewall and I wanted to make sure this was not a problem, ( I got the idea from the new amazon documentary "Hoopties") someone did it on a rabbit and I wanted to know if it was still allowed.

3. I am using the stock fuel system and I have not touched it other than removing the fuel door which I saw is allowed, I want to install an aftermarket fuel gauge and wanted to make sure that installing it does not violate the rules.

4. I have a rather large hole in the firewall to seal from removing the heater core. I wanted to know if I had to weld the new piece of sheet metal in or if I should use RVT and self tapping screws, I have seen this done on cares that have passed tech at races I have been to and wanted to know if this could be done.

sorry for the long post and thank you for all the help!

Dan

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

2 (edited by rb92673 2023-11-07 03:31 PM)

Re: brake venting and a few other questions

1. I don't see a lot of venting rear brakes.  It is the front that get really hot.
2. I see that fairly commonly if I understand what you are saying
3. If you are using the existing wiring from the stock fuel level sensor I don't see a problem with that.  I do that on my car as I threw away the dash years ago.  Do you know the resistances of full and empty?  You can also take a hole saw to the restrictor inside the fill neck so you can get a larger nozzle in it.
4. Small holes I ran a screw/bolt through with fender washers.  Big holes I riveted thin sheet metal with rtv.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673, thank you very much this is very helpful!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
no wins yet but hoping!

1. Don't bother, the rear brakes getting overheated is not the problem you will have.  But you can cut body panels for ducting, just don't cut structure.

2. No problem

3. What's the point?  Leave the stock gauge.  The more you can leave OEM on the car, the more reliable it will probably be.  That being said, if you just change the gauge and not the sender itself, then it is fine.  Aftermarket senders are notoriously unreliable. 

4. I strongly suggest leaving the heater and vent system.  We took it out of our first few builds, but keep it now.  Having not had it in the past and having kept it in the latest car, the difference in driving the car in the rain is amazing to keep the defroster and venting.  It isn't worth the potential weight savings, and Pitt often has "seasonal" weather that is not sunny and clear.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Are  you talking about getting your hvac entirely and using the old hole where the blower picked up air to "ram air" into the cabin?  Probably not what you meant but just checking.

If so I could see that being a problem.

I too like the defrost but sounds like heater core is already gone so...

Forget about cooling the rear brakes.  They only do about 10% of the work.

Removing the heater core is the WORST idea ever.  If you don't believe me, do it, and let me know what happens the first event that it rains.  All of us who still have our heater cores have BTDT.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Zacks wrote:

Are  you talking about getting your hvac entirely and using the old hole where the blower picked up air to "ram air" into the cabin?  Probably not what you meant but just checking.

I think he is talking about the existing hole in most cars right in front of the windshield, after the firewall, that most cars draw fresh air from.

rb92673 wrote:
Zacks wrote:

I think he is talking about the existing hole in most cars right in front of the windshield, after the firewall, that most cars draw fresh air from.

Yeah, a lot of cars--VWs in particular, I think--have a kind of shelf that's above the firewall. That's fine to leave in place.

Agree with others on rear brake venting. If your rear brakes are hot enough to need venting, you're either driving the car WAY too hard (and your front brakes will be roughly surface-of-the-sun hot anyway) or something is mechanically wrong.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

1) most don't duct to the rear brakes as it isn't necessary... especially for a heavily front weighted-car it won't be needed.
2) Should be fine assuming the venting into the cabin happens after the firewall and doesn't bridge a gap between the engine bay and driver compartment. We've tried something similar and it wasn't super useful... just putting a NACA duct into the door was way better.
3) curious on the need for an aftermarket gauge? But if you can get it working with the stock sender that should be fine, but cutting into the stock fuel tank is generally a no-no.
4) we've always riveted on sheet metal without RTV and it's been fine... some red RTV probably would have been a good idea though.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

VKZ24 wrote:

Removing the heater core is the WORST idea ever.  If you don't believe me, do it, and let me know what happens the first event that it rains.  All of us who still have our heater cores have BTDT.

disagree. there are better ways to defog a windshield than to pump boiling water into the cabin to pass thru a heat exchanger.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

disagree. there are better ways to defog a windshield than to pump boiling water into the cabin to pass thru a heat exchanger.

We use a universal defroster grid on the windshield.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Hey all, this is why I love this community, I really appreciate all the help and guidance!

here is my take away from all the questions with some more questions,

1. the idea of venting the rear brakes is dead, I will not waste my time and money doing that.

2. the vent for fresh air that I am referring to is on the passenger side just above the "shelf" of the firewalls there is that separation, I think for now we will use that with plan B being a nacho duct in the door or doors.

3. the reason for the after market fuel gage is that the stock cluster have been a bit hit and miss working but the intake sending unit has been fine, I checked the ohm range and got the correct one so I think I will switch to that being that using the stock wires is not a problem.

4. for the firewall I will rivet in some sheet metal and call it good.

a lot of you mentioned leaving the heater core/ climate controls for defrosting that's not really an option as it was already ripper out and damaged during removal and is already in the garbage. Chase mentioned a universal defroster grid, I am assuming you mean something like a rear window defroster, do you have a link to one? 

thanks again for all the help, I am sure I will have lots more questions and the build moves on

no wins yet but hoping!

I have heard about this one before, but I have not used it myself.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Safety-Race … r-Kit.html

There are probably cheaper options out there.

If you've already removed all the stock HVAC stuff then for sure get one of those electric defroster kits. Hell, even if you go through the effort to put back in the heater core and blower, install one of those as well. The difference it makes in the rain is monumental. Because you need to keep the windows down during the race your glass will want to fog like crazy, those kits make a world of difference.

The first time you get in the car with it installed you're going to find it weird to have the lines across the glass. After 5 minutes you'll forget they're even there. We've had them for a few years now and I don't even register them anymore.

The bimmerworld one is fine, they're sold through a number of places and all seem to be roughly the same kit.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

NACA ducts suck (or in this case, do not suck) for air flow, air flows over the flat surface, not a lot of it makes it into the duct. Certainly not enough to build pressure to cool a driver. They are good as inlets for fresh air pulled into.a fan. The best way to make them work without an additional fan is to design something that "scoops" the air into it. Could be a cheap aftermarket hood scoop, or cut a tennis ball in quarters and glue one on the back face of the duct.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

16 (edited by duthehustle93 2023-11-09 10:46 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

NACA ducts suck (or in this case, do not suck) for air flow, air flows over the flat surface, not a lot of it makes it into the duct. Certainly not enough to build pressure to cool a driver. They are good as inlets for fresh air pulled into.a fan. The best way to make them work without an additional fan is to design something that "scoops" the air into it. Could be a cheap aftermarket hood scoop, or cut a tennis ball in quarters and glue one on the back face of the duct.

I'm gonna have to disagree. We have two fresh air ducts to our driver... one "ball breeze 9000" that's 3" or 4" PVC that elbows forward (like a snorkel), then penetrates through our hood, cowl, and aims towards the man-region. We also have another one that's just a NACA duct riveted to our door. We did the NACA duct for fun, and thought the ball breeze would be the bees-knees but turns out it does nothing and the NACA duct made a huge difference. It's totally possible we just suck at making things, but we were really surprised by the NACA duct.

edit: Also +1 on always removing the heater core... even if it was needed for defrost (it might break fluid in driver compartment rules?) and at the age of all our shitboxes it's just a matter of hours until it fails. Out of all the ways to lose track time, bypassing a heater core seems like a really crappy way to be stuck in the paddock during a race.

Full Ass Racing

duthehustle93 wrote:

edit: Also +1 on always removing the heater core... even if it was needed for defrost (it might break fluid in driver compartment rules?) and at the age of all our shitboxes it's just a matter of hours until it fails. Out of all the ways to lose track time, bypassing a heater core seems like a really crappy way to be stuck in the paddock during a race.

This logic I do not understand at all. Why is the heater core just doomed to fail? Racing doesn't put extra stress on that part, it's just getting coolant flow like normal. Inspect it, replace old lines that are aging and dry rotting, and you should be fine. People seem to be hung up on this idea that heater cores are a ticking time bomb and I've just never seen it happen with enough regularity to justify the fear. The few I've seen go were always systems that were clearly never inspected and could have been saved by replacing a hose preemptively.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

This logic I do not understand at all. Why is the heater core just doomed to fail? Racing doesn't put extra stress on that part, it's just getting coolant flow like normal. Inspect it, replace old lines that are aging and dry rotting, and you should be fine. People seem to be hung up on this idea that heater cores are a ticking time bomb and I've just never seen it happen with enough regularity to justify the fear. The few I've seen go were always systems that were clearly never inspected and could have been saved by replacing a hose preemptively.

In my experience, Lemons cars are ancient and the chance of a heater core leaking increases with age. Unless you replace it at build time, I wouldn't trust it to last.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

TheEngineer wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

Our heater core is the OE unit that was installed at the factory 30 years ago and it's still working fine.  The engine however, well we're now on engine #4.  The transmission has been rebuilt 5 times as well.

Out of all the things to worry about failing, our heater core is pretty low on that list.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

chaase wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

In my experience, Lemons cars are ancient and the chance of a heater core leaking increases with age. Unless you replace it at build time, I wouldn't trust it to last.

Exactly, it's just an age thing and the fact that nobody likes to replace them because they're hard to get to. Not any less reliable than a radiator, but there's a lot more old heater cores out there than old radiators.

Most of the heater cores have failed on me at elevated coolant temps. High coolant temps = high coolant pressure and in these scenarios I guess the heater core decided to leak before the radiator cap relieved pressure. Racing=higher coolant temps=higher coolant pressure=more stress on heater core. I know I'm grasping here, but I'd rather my radiator cap vent inside the engine bay than my heater core "vent" on my leg. 

Maybe I'm just unlucky, and everyone's allowed to build how they want, but (at least on the west coast) I always pull heater cores out of my race cars.

Full Ass Racing

Frost Fighter / Clear View catalog

I found ^this again from the last time - I'm definitely doing this regardless.

Seems most of the complaints about heater cores have to do with age, delayed maintenance, and/or unknown provenance; all of which suggest ... oh, I don't know ... maintenance ;-)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Frost Fighter / Clear View catalog

I found ^this again from the last time - I'm definitely doing this regardless.

Seems most of the complaints about heater cores have to do with age, delayed maintenance, and/or unknown provenance; all of which suggest ... oh, I don't know ... maintenance ;-)

We use something like that on all our cars now.

duthehustle93 wrote:

[than old radiators.

Most of the heater cores have failed on me at elevated coolant temps. High coolant temps = high coolant pressure and in these scenarios I guess the heater core decided to leak before the radiator cap relieved pressure. Racing=higher coolant temps=higher coolant pressure=more stress on heater core.

I'm not saying you haven't had heater core failures, but Radiator cap should set pressure.  I see highest Temps when sitting and idling until fans kick on normally.

Either way I imagine thus all varies by vehicle.  Certain brands I have literally never seen a heater core failure.  Other (domestic) brands seem to go through em.

Those of us with cars that have little to no heater core failures will wanna keep em more often than people who have a notorious time bomb car.

Regardless the OPs is on the trash so...

Zacks wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

[than old radiators.

Most of the heater cores have failed on me at elevated coolant temps. High coolant temps = high coolant pressure and in these scenarios I guess the heater core decided to leak before the radiator cap relieved pressure. Racing=higher coolant temps=higher coolant pressure=more stress on heater core.

...I see highest Temps when sitting and idling until fans kick on normally.

... Certain brands I have literally never seen a heater core failure...

Regardless of the conditions that you see highest temps, you will see your highest vibrations on track.
While most heater cores aren't affected by heat cycling, vibrations can kill anything with enough amplitude
and/or frequency.

As far as brand failure, unless you have an encyclopedic knowledge of crapcan racer heater core failure
you gonna be guessing. Though, asking this august body of experience may yield positive results.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Hey again all,

thanks again for all the fantastic insight and suggestions. the OEM heater core and attached equipment were gone before I even made the original post, I will be adding to the very long to-do list to put in a clear view defroster and that totally makes sense. as for the rest I will be going with the rest of the suggestions put forth.

thanks again for all the help!

Dan

no wins yet but hoping!