Topic: Excess Wiring

Good morning, I am back again with another question.

being that we are building a more modern late model car we have LOADS of excess wires, headlights, wiper spray motors, etc. I did try and cut and cap some wires and that did not go well, it messed with the car being able to run.

what is everyone else doing?

should we just coil them up and zip tie them securely out of the way?

thanks as always for the help!

Dan

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Re: Excess Wiring

If it's a more modern car, especially one with CAN bus, just leave the wiring alone. Tuck the extra out of the way and ignore it. Saving those 2 pounds from trimming wires isn't going to gain you anything compared to the nightmare that is the car being angry because you cut the nervous system.

Our saab wouldn't even let us remove the onstar controller. Forget that it hasn't had onstar activated in a decade, unplugging the controller pissed it off real good. It still complains that the CD changer was removed without being "unmarried" from the car. Every time we turn it on it goes through about 8 warning/error screens about all the broken or missing systems.

Just leave the wiring alone.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My Cars are hardly modern but I agree....Tie them up and out of the way and leave them alone. Works for us.

Cordoba

TheEngineer wrote:

If it's a more modern car, especially one with CAN bus, just leave the wiring alone...Just leave the wiring alone.

Wise words from the voice of experience. If you get a few races in and you feel like an extra 30 pounds of wiring in the car are what's holding you back, then spend a weekend or seven tracing wires and removing them while being fully aware that the CAN-bus might absolutely lose its shit and kill the car if a door sensor wire is gone.

I might also recommend you go find a hammered 1980s Volvo 240 instead of whatever you've found. They have like seven wires and a long wheelbase. Awesome starter Lemons cars and you can still find them for pretty cheap AND find parts cars in junkyards (at least around Chicago).

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

5 (edited by chaase 2023-11-16 10:13 AM)

Run old cars w/o electronics....problem solved 8-)

For the Saturn cars, we've removed the unused wiring completely, but Saturn is much more forgiving than a lot of newer vehicles.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Our 735i came with an optional fax machine, wine cooler, and gobs of other weird luxuries that I'm too poor to comprehend. We have 2x 5-gallon bucket sized balls of mystery wiring in the backseat and and a third ball where the dashboard used to be. The dashboard ball we zip-tied into a tighter ball, and the rear seat wireballs we tucked into the butt-wells that were the rear seats and covered it with a piece of plywood. IMO, the wires will only be a problem if someone is stepping on them, breaking them, and shorting them out... hence the plywood.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

thanks all, this I pretty much what I was thinking I wanted to do and its great to have confirmation. I will be zip tying and leaving all the spare wires

Dan

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

duthehustle93 wrote:

Our 735i [snip] and the rear seat wireballs we tucked into the butt-wells that were the rear seats and covered it with a piece of plywood.[snip]

If you haven't already considered it:

Occasionally, additional unused wiring is useful in the back of a car to add equipment.

Perhaps an access panel (or 2) would be useful to you; I suggest an oval hole in the plywood to access the wiring below. Covers are readily available at any home store, which would save fab time.