Topic: Running a spool in rear diff

Just curious if anyone runs a spool in their car. The Atlanta race will be my third Lemons race, first as the car owner. We have a 2000 v6 mustang that has done 4 races so far. The car actually has done well at Barber and Nola for our experience. I really noticed at Nola the open diff wasn’t the best option. I would assume a limited slip would be best but wanted some opinions on a spool. I have ran a spool in my old f100 and it sucks in the rain, but has drag radials. I’m new to the road course racing scene so any input is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Running a spool in rear diff

Putting a spool in a road race car would be hilarious, in a bad way... If you want to have premature failure of wheel bearings, axle shafts, insane tire wear, and have your car skipping over the tires on every corner to the point where you're spinning out regularly, then by all means put in a spool...

You want a limited slip diff, of which there are a hundred options, running from junkyard takeouts (ford explorer 8.8 31 spline LSD is common and readily available in junkyards for cheap in the spirit of Lemons), to high performance racing specific ones.

Diffs are one of those things that are "unseen" in the car, like your camshafts, or hydramat in your fuel tank. Cheaty teams all spend freely on those things because no judge is going to ask to put a scope cam in your diff housing, and it's really not going to make you any faster.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I've driven the same car on a racetrack with and without welded spider gears.

If you are cornering hard enough to spin the inside tire, then a spool will improve drive out of the corner. If not, don't bother.

The hop-skip-chirp really only exists at paddock speed.

It will exacerbate the mustangness, enhancing any handling quirks in new and exciting ways.

That guy

KeiCarMike wrote:

Putting a spool in a road race car would be hilarious, in a bad way... If you want to have premature failure of wheel bearings, axle shafts, insane tire wear, and have your car skipping over the tires on every corner to the point where you're spinning out regularly, then by all means put in a spool...

You want a limited slip diff, of which there are a hundred options, running from junkyard takeouts (ford explorer 8.8 31 spline LSD is common and readily available in junkyards for cheap in the spirit of Lemons), to high performance racing specific ones.

Diffs are one of those things that are "unseen" in the car, like your camshafts, or hydramat in your fuel tank. Cheaty teams all spend freely on those things because no judge is going to ask to put a scope cam in your diff housing, and it's really not going to make you any faster.

/agree

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

We had issues with an open diff in the Blazer and LUV spinning the inside tire.  A stock LSD made that problem go away and is still driveable in very tight corners.

The old blue Dodge truck that races at High Plains always had a open diff and raced for many years, they welded their spider gears and promptly rolled the truck the first race from spinning coming out of a corner.  There is probably a lesson in there.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

6 (edited by derekste 2023-11-24 08:39 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Putting a spool in a road race car would be hilarious, in a bad way... If you want to have premature failure of wheel bearings, axle shafts, insane tire wear

literally none of those things will happen. we ran with a locked center and rear diff for half a dozen races.

KeiCarMike wrote:

no judge is going to ask to put a scope cam in your diff housing, and it's really not going to make you any faster.

jack up rear of car at bs, spin one tire. eZ.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

7 (edited by chaase 2023-11-24 09:12 AM)

derekste wrote:

Jack up rear of car at bs, spin one tire. eZ.

We spot them in BS/tech occasionally when they try and turn into the garage.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

fastdzl08 wrote:

Just curious if anyone runs a spool in their car. The Atlanta race will be my third Lemons race, first as the car owner. We have a 2000 v6 mustang that has done 4 races so far. The car actually has done well at Barber and Nola for our experience. I really noticed at Nola the open diff wasn’t the best option. I would assume a limited slip would be best but wanted some opinions on a spool. I have ran a spool in my old f100 and it sucks in the rain, but has drag radials. I’m new to the road course racing scene so any input is appreciated, thanks.

There is going to be lots of negative comments. It comes down to if the inner tire in corners gets unloaded, than spool or lincoln locker will work out fine. If it does not, than it will cause lots of wear and tear. If its only 1 corner, than its really not worth it. Alternatively you can try to readjust the suspension to maintain tire forces so it wont spin the tire. OR go the opposite way and make sure it does, than spool would be more effective. Its a yes or a no. nothing in between kind of deal.
A clutch type LSD is ideal. Torsen style is not worth the effort.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

stick with a LSD...

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it will run, we hope!
Team member: The Neighbors "89 Foxbody notchback 3 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Thanks for all the input guys, honestly I didn’t think it would be a great idea from my limited experience with a spool but never hurts to ask. I think we will just run the old one wheel peel for now. It wasn’t really noticeable at Barber, but Nola was spinning the inside tire pretty good, we ended up just sawing the steering wheel to make it plant the tire. I will keep an eye out for a 8.8, I have a few but they will need re gearing. Both gt rears I have have 2.73 lsd

A "spool" rear is more for drag racing. You probably want a limited slip rear for this kind of racing.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Huskar wrote:

The old blue Dodge truck that races at High Plains always had a open diff and raced for many years, they welded their spider gears and promptly rolled the truck the first race from spinning coming out of a corner.  There is probably a lesson in there.

I don't think this was a truck issue, as this was the car that I have put some effort into and is in fact the one I referenced above. IRS, IFS, set up backwards (soft in the front, hard in the rear). The locked rear helped the truck, but was probably just a bandaid. Like they say, a locked rear isn't great but it's not the worst, either.

I wasn't there when it tipped onto it's side, but it drove just fine at the next race.

That guy

Great question, following since I've debated welding the open diff in the 735i eventually. No actual experience here, but I've read that it can cause understeer at corner entry.

For us, we always reallocate the money and time for an LSD into getting the team+car out to HPDE's/practice days. Just an alternative option.. send it with the open and get more seat time. You'll probably have more fun, you'll work out kinks on the car, and adding another practice day under your belt will probably serve you better at the next race than an LSD will. Open diffs are pretty robust and not dangerous on track...  they're not great, but they're reliable and get the job done.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Running a Ford 8.8 diff is pushing the Easy Button.
You can easily get an Trak-Loc LSD from any GT Mustang.
Then, Ford Racing p/n M-4700-C
GT500 spring gives more preload so tighter LSD action.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We ran a spool in the back of the Boat (S10) which was later transferred to the Hombre, which is still running it years later, and finally had an axle failure after like 10 years on that rear end.  We also tried: Gov Lock, some other shitty LSD, and a Zexel torsen, and we kept putting that damn spool rear end back in.  No weird drivability issues, no weird failures, it just plain worked and made for a fantastic run up the hill at NH when you could just stand on it.  Another long time lemon car, Bert-One, has also been quite successful with the locked rear diff. 

Don't believe all the nay sayers.  Give it a try.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia