1 (edited by etb1009 2023-11-25 02:32 PM)

Topic: Hatchback keep the hatch or loose it?!

we are building a hatchback (GTI) we are 99% committed to leaving it off for wind and weight reasons but wanted to ask the group for pros and cons of this before selling the actual hatch.

Thoughts?

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Re: Hatchback keep the hatch or loose it?!

Leave it on. Lots of fumes get in the car.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

some tracks don't allow rear glass like that. Get some Lexan and make a new one.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Take it off and try it.  We took ours off, but didn't like the exhaust fumes getting sucked in.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

keeping the hatch allows you to keep more crap out of the car while it is stored between events. You can remove it for the race if you must, but keep it for storage at a minimum.

6 (edited by VKZ24 2023-11-27 06:25 AM)

Replace the glass with Lexan and leave the hatch.  Thank us later when you don't get sick from the fumes.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

One more vote for leave it. But I also vote leave the glass. I've never once heard any track question OEM glass, and glass scratches a hell of a lot less than lexan. Last thing I want is to lose the ability to see out the back of the car. Trust me, the weight of the hatch is not what will stop you winning.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

+1 on keeping the glass. it's already there and designed to stay in place. Taking it out and replacing it with lexan just invites more problems.

I too have never had a track question any of the glass I leave in my cars. Just Lemons requires the front doors to have the windows down and if you have glass you need to have doorcards or something similar from keeping the bits withing the door should they bust while down.

9 (edited by derekste 2023-11-28 07:48 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

some tracks don't allow rear glass like that. Get some Lexan and make a new one.

I've never heard of someone having to remove their rear windshield at a Lemons race. Lexan has lots of disadvantages compared to glass.

TheEngineer wrote:

One more vote for leave it. But I also vote leave the glass. I've never once heard any track question OEM glass, and glass scratches a hell of a lot less than lexan. Last thing I want is to lose the ability to see out the back of the car. Trust me, the weight of the hatch is not what will stop you winning.

to add to this: I have been in numerous cars that I wished had more weight over the rear axle. removing weight only goes so far when you are removing it from the wrong places.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

thanks everyone, I will talk to my team mates but I am not leaning towards putting it back on, glad I kept it, I am thinking with the VW having an electronic hatch release I will just use pins. thank you for all the advice

Dan

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
no wins yet but hoping!

If it makes you feel any better, our saab is all electronic release on the rear hatch, and it has never once failed. However, if you're worried, you could always make a small hole, then route a cable through so that you can pull the emergency trunk release handle from outside the car in the event it does fail. This of course assumes you have one, some hatchbacks do not because they don't have a fully enclosed trunk.

But basically I would not worry too much about the trunk release failing. Worry more about, well, just everything else about it being a VW.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

on the Fo-Shogun the rear glass was removed, but the hatch kept.

Took the previous owner a bit of experimentation on an extra spoiler to keep the fumes out of the car.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

TheEngineer wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, our saab is all electronic release on the rear hatch, and it has never once failed. However, if you're worried, you could always make a small hole, then route a cable through so that you can pull the emergency trunk release handle from outside the car in the event it does fail. This of course assumes you have one, some hatchbacks do not because they don't have a fully enclosed trunk.

But basically I would not worry too much about the trunk release failing. Worry more about, well, just everything else about it being a VW.

thanks more worried that it will not work being that it did not when we got it lol and no emergency cable release. think we will just pin it and call her good. ultimately it would be great to be competitive but I just want to finish the first race and I think that might be a tall order lol

no wins yet but hoping!

For VW Mark 4 platforms, bring extra front hubs and CV axles!

Stan in Bham wrote:

For VW Mark 4 platforms, bring extra front hubs and CV axles!

thanks, we are going to be running a Mk5 GTI and I put new wheel bearing hubs on and new CV's I am hoping that they last a full race but I plan on bringing extras as well

no wins yet but hoping!