1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2023-11-30 11:34 AM)

Topic: My Mousecedes' ass is draggin'...

Not a Mercedes - a _Mousecedes_; so far, I've removed 4 rodent nests and two dead mice, and I think there's another nest in the dash someplace which I haven't yet seen ...

HOWEVER:

I'm thinking I need a pair of rear shocks, and I hope that's all. There's a pair of tires in the rear seat, and a tool bag and an extra battery in the trunk. For me, that adds up to about 1 other person in the back seat, and I don't think that'd cause such a sink in the rear suspension.

Any thoughts(?):
1:
https://i.postimg.cc/dV2KCVXC/20231126-102906.jpg
2:
https://i.postimg.cc/RZ5BqHP9/20231126-102919.jpg

Re: My Mousecedes' ass is draggin'...

Looks to me like the nose is higher than normal, not the rear.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Don't those things have air shocks in the rear?

That guy

Dam, I hope not, though I have seen mention of them in various places on the 'net. Getting this up in the air today.

I think that was an option on the estate? I don't see air bags as an option for the saloon on Rock Auto, though: for example on the 300TD (which I think is the estate), I see listings for shocks that say "except Hydromat suspension".

I see Bilsteins for both standard duty and heavy duty suspensions; not sure what this has - it's a new-to-me daily.

Kinda thinking I want to put on the heavy duty shocks in case I want to add a hitch receiver.

Although: I like the f'n impressive ride - exceptionally smooth on the highway. I came across an unexpectedly acute corner on a back road, and it just handled it no problem on 195/65R15s from the PnP. There's no bouncing or bottoming out, though I don't really challenge it.

Baffles for the oil pan may be in my future ;-), though an oil change first.

~28mpg. Not bad for an '80s rattletrap.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Dam, I hope not, though I have seen mention of them in various places on the 'net. Getting this up in the air today.

I think that was an option on the estate? I don't see air bags as an option for the saloon on Rock Auto, though: for example on the 300TD (which I think is the estate), I see listings for shocks that say "except Hydromat suspension".

I see Bilsteins for both standard duty and heavy duty suspensions; not sure what this has - it's a new-to-me daily.

Kinda thinking I want to put on the heavy duty shocks in case I want to add a hitch receiver.

Although: I like the f'n impressive ride - exceptionally smooth on the highway. I came across an unexpectedly acute corner on a back road, and it just handled it no problem on 195/65R15s from the PnP. There's no bouncing or bottoming out, though I don't really challenge it.

Baffles for the oil pan may be in my future ;-), though an oil change first.

~28mpg. Not bad for an '80s rattletrap.

I've got a 1985 300SD. I believe the chances of you having the rear air shocks are pretty high. Good news is, I *think* swapping it to a coil spring isn't too difficult. Road Atlanta is going to be our first race in ours. H&R I believe makes a 'sport' lowering spring for the chassis but I'm not 100% sure if they're usable on the wagon. Most coilover offerings for these cars seem sketchy at best... butttt I've seen plenty of people run ebay coilovers so it might not be as bad as it looks.

Zanetapos - I have a W124 - is that what you have?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Zanetapos - I have a W124 - is that what you have?

I've got a W126. I do know they threw the SLS system (air shocks) in the rear of the estates on the W124 as well. I believe any model that was a "TD" or "TE" wagon of that era was equipped with the SLS system.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's how they optioned them at the time. Also, ignore my comment regarding a simple swap. If I remember correctly, it was an easy swap on the W123 and W126. On the W124 I think you're going to have to get some rear suspension donor parts from a sedan.

I don't think I've ever seen a 6-cyl sedan Mercedes with any sort of air/self-leveling suspension (pre Airmatic becoming option on the W211, anyway).  The wagons would have had 'SLS' (Self-Leveling Suspension) standard, but, it was technically optional on sedans.  Same story for W123s as well, don't know about W210s. 

If the car does have SLS, there should be lines running up to a pump on the engine, likely combined with or in close proximity to the Power Steering pump.  Stranger things have happened, but, I'd be shocked if it's an SLS car.  Probably just really worn out springs. 

That said, I did swap in some Bilstein HDs on my W211 E320 CDI - it reduced ride quality, but, made the handling much more to my liking, and I liked feeling some of the smaller bumps ('road feel') while still isolating the bigger stuff. A rather different car, but, perhaps a useful anecdote none the less.  I'll throw my vote in for the 'Heavy Duty' Bilsteins, and a fresh set of springs as well.  Love those old OM603 W124s - rare, good to see one with someone who gives a shit.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

mthew_m wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a 6-cyl sedan Mercedes with any sort of air/self-leveling suspension (pre Airmatic becoming option on the W211, anyway).  The wagons would have had 'SLS' (Self-Leveling Suspension) standard, but, it was technically optional on sedans.  Same story for W123s as well, don't know about W210s. 

If the car does have SLS, there should be lines running up to a pump on the engine, likely combined with or in close proximity to the Power Steering pump.  Stranger things have happened, but, I'd be shocked if it's an SLS car.  Probably just really worn out springs. 

That said, I did swap in some Bilstein HDs on my W211 E320 CDI - it reduced ride quality, but, made the handling much more to my liking, and I liked feeling some of the smaller bumps ('road feel') while still isolating the bigger stuff. A rather different car, but, perhaps a useful anecdote none the less.  I'll throw my vote in for the 'Heavy Duty' Bilsteins, and a fresh set of springs as well.  Love those old OM603 W124s - rare, good to see one with someone who gives a shit.

Listen to this guy. I don't know why I kept saying "Air" when I totally was thinking hydraulic.

I think the rear springs have gotten soft, and also I think that it’s very unlikely your sedan has SLS. I’ve never seen a non-wagon w124 with it. Even if it did have it, I think you’ll end up at a decent ride height by just yanking the SLS shocks, looping the pump hoses, and installing a new set of springs (lowering, if you like those) and HD Bilsteins. Same part advice applies for non-SLS. This is based on my decade of W140 w/SLS ownership, I deleted the SLS as listed above. No issues. The W140 has bigger parts but basically the same rear suspension setup as the W124…

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)