Topic: Does the entire teem need to be present for Tech on Friday?

Road Atlanta - our first race coming next weekend. We're all rookies.

I saw the announcement post on the forums here and saw they released the tech time schedule. I'm the captain and the only one coming up Friday, the others arrive Saturday morning.

Am I able to go through tech by myself? I'll have all of our gear and the car with me (obviously).

2 (edited by BigBird 2023-12-01 12:52 PM)

Re: Does the entire teem need to be present for Tech on Friday?

Zanetapos wrote:

I saw the announcement post on the forums here and saw they released the tech time schedule. I'm the captain and the only one coming up Friday, the others arrive Saturday morning.

Am I able to go through tech by myself? I'll have all of our gear and the car with me (obviously).

You will be able to do it by yourself,assuming you are an adult.You just need to be able to answer the most basic questions regarding fuel system,battery,water only in the system,etc.It's not a real big deal to do it solo.Print out the tech form beforehand and fill it out,have it under the wiper blade ready for the inspector when it's your turn at bat.If you have time before your scheduled tech slot,just stand back and watch as others go through the process,so you know what to expect.They may yell at you,but don't take it personally...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
Zanetapos wrote:

You will be able to do it by yourself,assuming you are an adult.You just need to be able to answer the most basic questions regarding fuel system,battery,water only in the system,etc.It's not a real big deal to do it solo.Print out the tech form beforehand and fill it out,have it under the wiper blade ready for the inspector when it's your turn at bat.If you have time before your scheduled tech slot,just stand back and watch as others go through the process,so you know what to expect.They may yell at you,but don't take it personally...

Thank you!

I've built the car by myself so I can definitely answer all the questions haha. I've read the "how not to fail tech inspection" so. many. times. so I'm hoping I've got it all down as close to perfect as it can be.

I want to be one of those rookie teams they talk about in the Lemons recap videos that pass tech their first time with zero issues because we actually read the rules.

Glad I could help.You don't have to tech your gear at the same (scheduled) time as your car....You can do that at any time during the day Friday,whenever you see the lines are shortest.I say this so you don't feel the need to fill your car with gear bags when you go through the tech line.Car tech and gear tech are two different animals....Focus on getting your car through.They usually schedule rookies/new teams earlier in the day so you have time to fix your fuckups....Good luck,have fun,don't be a dick......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

you can do the vehicle tech and your own gear tech, but each of your team mates will have to go to gear tech themselves. they have to wear all their gear, can carry helmet and Hans, they have to get a wrist band and sticker on their helmet, when doing the vehicle tech make sure to bring the already filler out tech sheet ( don't ask how we know this ) and make sure to bring your state issued drivers license to your gear tech. all things that are in the rules but my teammates and I learned by trial and error.

good luck, be safe and most of all have fun, Lemons is a total blast!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Passing tech isn't hard if you did read and follow the rules. You should be fine.

If you (or the judges) do discover a problem, don't be afraid to ask your paddock neighbors for advice or help.  Lemons teams are normally very happy to help rookie teams out with advice, tools, parts, and even bigger stuff like last-minute welding.  It is common to see people running from team to team in the paddock, asking if they happen to have a tool or part.  We've swapped a spare harness for a case of beer at a race when someone failed tech because their harness expired the week before.  It was a poor business deal for us, but we were happy to help keep someone else's weekend from ending early.

Do look around the paddock so you know where the teams are that have the same or similar cars, so you know where to go first when scrounging one of the spare parts you didn't bring (or for advice on how to fix what just broke if you are baffled by your car's quirks).

Stan in Bham wrote:

Passing tech isn't hard if you did read and follow the rules. You should be fine.

If you (or the judges) do discover a problem, don't be afraid to ask your paddock neighbors for advice or help.  Lemons teams are normally very happy to help rookie teams out with advice, tools, parts, and even bigger stuff like last-minute welding.  It is common to see people running from team to team in the paddock, asking if they happen to have a tool or part.  We've swapped a spare harness for a case of beer at a race when someone failed tech because their harness expired the week before.  It was a poor business deal for us, but we were happy to help keep someone else's weekend from ending early.

Do look around the paddock so you know where the teams are that have the same or similar cars, so you know where to go first when scrounging one of the spare parts you didn't bring (or for advice on how to fix what just broke if you are baffled by your car's quirks).

Unfortunately, we are the only Mercedes and the only diesel... so we'll just be bringing boxes of assorted 'junk' for spares big_smile

I'm fairly confident if we don't have the ability to fix something, we will find someone who will. We're operating on two assumptions, we're either going to "send a rod to God" or grenade this questionable transmission.

Aim for the finish, not the win. 

A Mercedes diesel has a good shot at claiming the IOE if you finish, and that is the true "grand prize" in Lemons racing - a free entry for your next race and instant Lemons cred along with the embarrassingly small trophy to put over your fireplace next to the stockings.

Stan in Bham wrote:

Aim for the finish, not the win. 

A Mercedes diesel has a good shot at claiming the IOE if you finish, and that is the true "grand prize" in Lemons racing - a free entry for your next race and instant Lemons cred along with the embarrassingly small trophy to put over your fireplace next to the stockings.

We're most certainly aiming for the finish, but trying to keep a realistic mindset. It drives really well onto the trailer though! Alignment is getting done at a shop today in addition to exhaust. Hopefully we will have the chance to take it around the block by tomorrow and make sure nothing sounds too sketcky or questionable smile

If you're sharing a hans device, then if your whole team isn't there by race start on Saturday, then you'll need to stop driving to give them the hans while they go through tech, which would suck. In conclusion, get your teammates to arrive in time for the drivers meeting. Or do an iron man 8 hour stint the first day (don't do this).

Godspeed.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

rozap_ wrote:

Or do an iron man 8 hour stint the first day (don't do this).

Godspeed.

Well, the Class B winner at Road Atlanta last year was a solo-driven Mercedes 300E.  But, yeah.  Don't Do This.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably