Topic: Safety gear/ Fire suits

After watching the race in Bowling Green, my nephew and I have decided to buy a pair of seats to drive the Vannonball at Barber.

Problem is, neither of us have any gear whatsoever.

A complete one piece suit is less expensive and I would assume provide more protection, but I think that being able to remove the jacket while we're not racing would be worth the extra coin. I also think that it's better to get the multi layer suit so we don't have to wear the fire proof underwear. Of course this is assuming I can find a suit or pants and jacket the come in extra fat. I think my main problem will be finding a certified helmet. I wear a 4xl motorcycle helmet with a flip up chin bar and Im not seeing much in the way of fat head helmets.

So I guess Im asking, what's the general consensus of suits, 1 piece, 2 piece, single layer, multi layer?

Re: Safety gear/ Fire suits

My preference has always been single piece multi-layer. It's one less gap for the fire to get through. As a rule you should be getting out of your suit when not actively getting ready to be in the car or help with fueling. They aren't work wear, you don't want to get them covered in oil and dirt. Put them on when you actually need it and then get out of it when you don't so that you aren't putting unneeded wear on a piece of safety equipment.

See if there is any kind of race shop near you that can help you try on some helmets. Each brand fits different and you really want to make sure you get one that agrees with your head. For example pyrotect helmets do NOT agree with me, they press on the front of my forehead and give me a headache after about an hour of wear. Other people do not have this issue. You may find that certain brands fit your head better than others.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

1. Many times suggested here:  RaceSuitRentals (.com)

2. My discussion about helmets:  Choosing Safety Equipment - Helmets

Some good used suits here: https://www.raceimage.com/. I wear a 1 piece multilayer and add fire resistant underwear as needed if it's cold.

I usually suggest my first time drivers rent from race suit rentals though.  It comes with everything you need and is good quality stuff.

There is no fire proof, only resistant.  Each layer gives you a few more seconds.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

multi layer one piece. It's more affordable, more widely accepted, and safer. Folding and tie-ing off the top half when you're not driving isn't too bad at all. One piece suits also look faster than two piece suits, which is important.

I've had some great luck on finding deals on used gear off craigslist/facebook marketplace/ebay/amazon marketplace. I have two sets of "team" gear for A&D's that I've also rented out before... but my biggest size is a L.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

One piece suits also look faster than two piece suits, which is important.

I've had some great luck on finding deals on used gear off craigslist/facebook marketplace/ebay/amazon marketplace..

I've had luck finding deals on eBay,especially this time of year.Sometimes people get new gear and sell off the 'old' gear.
I was able to get a multi-layer suit for a total of $16.00 (shipping included) just by waiting for the right deal to show up....
Took a lot of waiting and watching and searching,but the deals are out there....YMMV,offer void in Kansas,etc.,etc.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I drove the race van at road america this year, and I think you made a good choice. Zac is a good dude, and the van itself is a great vehicle to get into the sport with. It's kind of hard to overdrive it. (I hope he figured out how to keep the brake caliper pistons from disintegrating though).

I bought a one-piece suit from sparco. Their 2-piece ones do come 1 size larger (3X vs 4X), but they are a bit more expensive. I kind of wish I had bought a 2-piece because it provides more options if you are going to use a coolsuit system (not that it has been an issue for me so far). If you buy a larger suit, they get wider AND taller, so you'll probably end up with some bagginess somewhere. I would definitely go with multi-layer. It's more affordable overall. Just make sure whatever you wear under it is 100% organic fibers.

As others have mentioned, racesuitrental.com is a good resource for this. If I remember correctly, they will rent the full kit for a Lemons race weekend for $250 (with a $700 deposit).

I was able to source a full set of gear through amazon.com my team mate thought I was crazy at first till he did his own research. turned out to be same brands and spec of gear and was about $1050 which included the Hans. when looking at the starter kits on here its about that much without the Hans. I rented from racesuitrental.com my first race and they were great but realized quickly that's it's much more affordable to buy my own being that I planned on doing a lot more races.

the helmet brand I got is Zamp
race suit, 1 piece as well as the gloves and shoes were race quip and the socks were just fire rated to Lemons spec. the Hans is Hans Brand. only thing I did not get was gear bad, I just used my kids old duffel bag from camp. I would save your money for broken parts the "gear Bags" are really expensive for what they are. also as far as natural fiber under shirts the 6 pack of cotton shirts at Costco as great, well made and not expensive at all.

hope this helps

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!