Topic: Need to source a new engine - NA vs Turbo

We need to source a new engine for our PT Cruiser and it currently has a NA motor in it. Thinking of trying to find a turbo motor but curious on thoughts of reliable vs extra power of a turbo and heat. Worth sticking with NA?

Re: Need to source a new engine - NA vs Turbo

In my experience in racing a Volvo with a 2.3 4-cylinder turbo for the last six years is that a turbo generates a lot of heat on the exhaust side.  I have had lots of failure with exhaust studs backing out and busting.  I have had to move to Inconel and stainless hardware with nordlocks to keep the turbo and wastegate attached.

If you do go turbo, bring a spare.

YMMV.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I have had to move to Inconel and stainless hardware with nordlocks...

Tell us more about this solution.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Limonaid wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

I have had to move to Inconel and stainless hardware with nordlocks...

Tell us more about this solution.

10MM manifold to T3 studs I use these:
https://www.full-race.com/10mm-m10-inco … -t4-turbos
They say Inconel but also say A286.  I have gone multiple races on the same stud sets and they have not backed off or sheared.

8MM turbine to wastegate studs I used 316 stainless studs from McMaster with nordlocks and copper plated crushed nuts.  No loss of studs after 14 hours at Sonoma.  I also ordered Inconel from an Australian ebay seller on my backup turbo and manifold.  8.8 studs stretch or back out after about 8 hours and then shear even with the nordlocks, copper nuts and safety wire.

Yes I have a backup turbo and manifold because drilling out studs and retapping on a Saturday race night sucks.

YMMV.

ebutka wrote:

We need to source a new engine for our PT Cruiser and it currently has a NA motor in it. Thinking of trying to find a turbo motor but curious on thoughts of reliable vs extra power of a turbo and heat. Worth sticking with NA?

Were you the fellas with the PT dumping fluids (ooh, sparkly!) the whole weekend at Sonoma recently?

If so, you’ve the right attitude for a turbo Chrysler. GT Cruiser glory awaits.

Rob, doesn’t the Volvo red block factory turbo setup have a stout bracket holding the turbo/manifold securely? Your travails remind me of dealing with the half-baked Audi 10V turbo 5 cylinder motors long ago. So many broken exhaust studs..

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

The boys from the Escondont can help you a bit.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Type44 wrote:

Rob, doesn’t the Volvo red block factory turbo setup have a stout bracket holding the turbo/manifold securely? Your travails remind me of dealing with the half-baked Audi 10V turbo 5 cylinder motors long ago. So many broken exhaust studs..

No there is a small bracket on the bottom of the manifold to the block.  I don't think my problem is as much vibration as it is differences in expansion rates under intense heat and stud stretch.

The nice thing about turbo engines on track is that they are generally quieter.

couldn't you just use a a Neon R/T motor? They are like 150Hp, I'd think with some less restrictive exhaust and a program you'd be pushing 170.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"