Re: Starter Switch

etb1009 wrote:

I am happy that I did it for all those reason. now to figure out what I need to tap into to install a push button start.

Should be real simple.When you turn the key to the 'start' position,you are simply making a connection between two wires to energize the starter solenoid.Find those two wires and you are all set...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

rb92673 wrote:

Doesn't putting the key in do that. ;-)

For anyone using a keyed ignition switch, please secure the key so it can't wander off during the race. It's so easy for a driver to remove the key out of habit before exiting a car in the hot pits and then misplace it. In my experience the team won't have a spare key, either, so maybe have one of those, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Doesn't putting the key in do that. ;-)

For anyone using a keyed ignition switch, please secure the key so it can't wander off during the race. It's so easy for a driver to remove the key out of habit before exiting a car in the hot pits and then misplace it. In my experience the team won't have a spare key, either, so maybe have one of those, too.

Mine is zip tied to the column, but in 18 races I don't think it has ever been removed.  I have seen more people lose the key for the kill switch.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I have seen more people lose the key for the kill switch.

I prefer the style of kill switch that has a nonremovable handle but of course this comes with the tradeoff that it's now far easier for someone to reactivate it at a very wrong time.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Mkotzias wrote:

The PCM has to acknowledge that the car started to uncouple the starter relay or it will time out. If it continually stays engaged it would seem to me that either the relay is stuck or another source such as a remote start is keeping it coupled.If it times out, then the Pcm is not seeing the rpm of the engine (highly unlikely if it runs) or a faulty PCM. Does it start normally?

Found the culprit. It was my own stupidity. A combination of a faulty relay and I followed a wiring diagram that had the wire from the alternator going to the negative on the starter when it’s supposed to be on the positive.

Most of my misery is self inflicted.

jimbooth wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

The PCM has to acknowledge that the car started to uncouple the starter relay or it will time out. If it continually stays engaged it would seem to me that either the relay is stuck or another source such as a remote start is keeping it coupled.If it times out, then the Pcm is not seeing the rpm of the engine (highly unlikely if it runs) or a faulty PCM. Does it start normally?

Found the culprit. It was my own stupidity. A combination of a faulty relay and I followed a wiring diagram that had the wire from the alternator going to the negative on the starter when it’s supposed to be on the positive.

Most of my misery is self inflicted.

I disagree - neither of those issues are your fault.