Topic: Tips for powering an in-car mini PC for reading emails and web surfing

Hi - I was looking into adding a mini PC to the car, and was wondering if folks here may have some tips, tricks, and examples or recommendations on how to get the power cleaned and reliable.

I would think some kind of UPS like system powered off the car battery, perhaps charging some UPS battery, then having DC feels for the PC and ideally some USB peripherals like a Juul vape.

I know voltage can fluctuate and I don't want any of that dirty dirty power corrupting the PC or any of the other powered stuff.

It would be ideal to avoid the DC-->AC-->DC conversion as well.

Thoughts?

Re: Tips for powering an in-car mini PC for reading emails and web surfing

Passaable wrote:

I would think some kind of UPS like system powered off the car battery, perhaps charging some UPS battery, then having DC feels for the PC and ideally some USB peripherals like a Juul vape.

Thoughts?

Is your racecar a Subaru Justy?

That guy

I have run a Raspberry Pi 3b+ off a 12v to usb adapter for years now.  It powers off and on with the kill switch. Seems to work fine, never had a problem with no proper shut down.

If you need it on all the time, how about a laptop power bank?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Thanks - I did try a laptop at Sonoma, unfortunately it didn't last. something about charging the battery didn't work well. I tried to get a usb lighter adapter that was ~70w and use that to charge the laptop via usb-c.

It seemed to indicate charge in the paddock, though once on the track somehow the charge didn't work well. My assumption was dirty dirty power.

I've heard that there were devices such as this to help regulate so I thought I'd check here to see what you experts were doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TX … U&th=1

DirtyDuc wrote:
Passaable wrote:

Thoughts?

Is your racecar a Subaru Justy?

I wish we had a subaru. we are way more exotic and hard to find parts for.

Passaable wrote:

Thanks - I did try a laptop at Sonoma, unfortunately it didn't last. something about charging the battery didn't work well. I tried to get a usb lighter adapter that was ~70w and use that to charge the laptop via usb-c.

It seemed to indicate charge in the paddock, though once on the track somehow the charge didn't work well. My assumption was dirty dirty power.

I've heard that there were devices such as this to help regulate so I thought I'd check here to see what you experts were doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TX … U&th=1

If the PC can accept power via USB, I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- … Y&th=1

You want something that supports pass-through charging, so what it can charge itself and other devices at the same time.  Most will stop charging other devices when it starts charging itself.  There were mixed reviews on if it worked with this specific device.

This was the horriblefreight inverter we used in our car for a Lemons rally:
https://www.harborfreight.com/750-watt- … 56425.html

Obviously would need to consider wiring gauge for adding it permanently to a kill-switch protected system.

The above powered and charged a laptop reliably with no ill effects on a 35 year old alternator and remanufactured interstate battery over the course of ~20 hours of usage. We were also running a fan and speaker off of it at the same time.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

rb92673 wrote:

I have run a Raspberry Pi 3b+ off a 12v to usb adapter for years now.  It powers off and on with the kill switch. Seems to work fine, never had a problem with no proper shut down.

Just a word of warning, even if you've never had issues, I've seen TONS of SD cards get corrupted this way. I'm jealous you've gotten this lucky.

If you've never backed that SD card up I would definitely clone it just in case.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Fun story: in our racecar there's a small computer. To power the computer, there is a DC to DC converter. There's also a relay somewhere to isolate stuff. Our crappy baofeng radios emitted such a high level of RF that it caused the relay to switch back and forth at like 120hz. That induced such a large current backwards into the power supply that it got so hot, some of the components de-soldered themselves. This all happened on Saturday morning race day, when we did a comms check, and the whole cabin filled up with smoke. Great start to the weekend.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Most UPS's and inverters are simulated square wave, most devices are fine but things such as PCs can/will overheat or fail prematurely when run off a square wave. If you are powering off AC to a power adapter (back to DC), I'm not sure if this would be an issue but almost everything runs hotter off a square wave. If I were to guess, it was probably cutting out last time because your overheating... all the extra heat generated in the cabin on the track+extended period of use = more heat. Even my GoPro has had this issue... seems fine in the paddock but will sometimes have issues on track, I've noticed it'll be hot to the touch whenever it stops working.

Last time you tried a USB adapter, I think it may just be an issue with the cigarette connection... they aren't the most reliable way to transfer sustained current in a high vibration environment. Have you tried something like this that hardwires in? https://www.amazon.com/Boostable-Charge … &psc=1

If you want to go the AC-powered route... we use this true sine wave inverter in our suburban (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6 … &psc=1) and it works great. It looks out of stock now but they're all the same. We use it in the truck when we have a long tow (like when we towed half-way across the US for the HPR 24hr) and powered a laptop, blu ray player, and TV for entertainment on the back 3 rows and it didn't skip a beat.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

depending on what you are building.

Look here:

https://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.13/.f

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

TheEngineer wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Just a word of warning, even if you've never had issues, I've seen TONS of SD cards get corrupted this way. I'm jealous you've gotten this lucky.

If you've never backed that SD card up I would definitely clone it just in case.

Ya I am very surprised I have not had corruption yet, I have been using it for over three years.  Thank you for shaming me into making a backup.  smile