Topic: 1987 Porsche 924 prebuilt Lemons car?

I found a pre-built car with a cage, fire etc., for 4,800 near me, but I'm not sure how the rules apply to buying already-built cars. It's nice but not really SCCA level, but well done for a 924. How do I determine the value of this as a Lemon? Just minus the value of all safety equipment?

Thanks!

Re: 1987 Porsche 924 prebuilt Lemons car?

Have the seller sell it to you for $500 plus $4300 in safety and spares, or just email Eric Rood with pictures of the car for an estimate of it's value.  More importantly I would check with John Pagel with detailed pictures of the cage if it has not passed a Lemons tech inspection in the last year or so.  Some cages are built to different specs than Lemons specs.

Email addresses are here: https://24hoursoflemons.com/contact/

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

what RB said, check that it meets spec, my team mates car that I drove this season was "race ready" in reality it was race ready after the cage was pulled out and a whole new one built and installed in addition to fire suppression, belts and etc.... double check with Pagel

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Yeesh, good to know guys thanks. I'm emailing them now. Does anyone have opinions on using a 924 in Lemons?

Hobbitual wrote:

Yeesh, good to know guys thanks. I'm emailing them now. Does anyone have opinions on using a 924 in Lemons?

Yeah, I have opinions on a 924.

An 87 is just a narrow body 944, with all of the pros and cons.

Do a clutch job at home whether or not you think you need it.

Carry a spare DME. Get the funky tools for doing the timing belt.

Have fun!

That guy

Unless there is some exceptionally cheaty stuff installed, it'll be fine. The car is bought for $500 + $4300 in safety equipment/spares. The main concern would be cage and such being up to Lemons spec.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Assuming (and that’s a risk) your cage etc is in good order for tech, make sure that:

You fill the fuel tank completely well in advance of the first race, not the Thursday night on the trailer when it’s headed to the track. If the leak shows up then you’ll be scrounging a non-perforated tank and changing it trackside, which in a 924/944 means pulling the transmission.

I’m just bitter, this was my recent experience with a pre-raced 944. Which started as a pre-raced 924, that got its body swapped AFTER entering the race, because the cage wasn’t right.

Hope this helps

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Oh yeah, I forgot the fuel tank fun. All the vent hoses are on top of the tank, and are like 3/4".

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot the fuel tank fun. All the vent hoses are on top of the tank, and are like 3/4".

That was our second leak point, the first was the hole rusted in the top of the tank. We didn’t put the trans back in before finding the second leak.

Luckily, that vent hose is available at the Blythe, CA O’Reilly store. You can guess how I know that.

Keeping in mind that there is a big State Prison next to Blythe, they give you funny looks when you buy nothing but a long piece of rubber hose, a file, and a hacksaw. Then hop into the Transporter-ish black 540i and disappear in a cloud of dust.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)