Topic: DIY car loading ramps

I can't get the damn picture to post, but I bought a retired 26' Uhaul box truck that had the box cut off but the load floor remains.  Going to use it as a car hauler and RV tow pig.

I've seen a number of Lemons teams use buses, box trucks etc to haul their car.  How do you make ramps to load your car?  Obviously it can't be too steep of an angle so the car doesn't scrape or get high centered.  The load height is 2'11"

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

2 (edited by flb_78 2023-12-17 05:31 PM)

Re: DIY car loading ramps

most trailers just use 2x2x0.25 angle iron for ramps.

They'd be a bit heavy for the length you would need.

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/produ … PMQAvD_BwE

Buy a good winch too.

Not impossible to make a standard rear door that folds down like a trailer. Also look at ramps people use to load ATVs into pickup trucks, just as bad height differential and might inspire you.

You can also continue the ramp inside the box. See something like this:
https://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/attach … eg.113437/

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I understand your diy question; personally, I'm hoping HF gets in their newer stronger 3,000 lb. (each@) ramps soon. They've advertised it in their displays for years.

I'm guessing you already thought of this idea but figured I'd mention it anyways.. you can also carry some car ramps and drive the front of the box truck onto the ramps to lower the rear/get your angle started. We do the same concept on our trailer by dropping the tongue jack.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

You might look up Alex Vendler (GnomeFabtech (sp) on the forum).  The MetroGnome was transported in a box truck.  IIRC, they had a bunch of ramp sections with stands along the way and winched it up.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Discountramps.com. Has what you need.  Aluminum to any length out to 14’. I have a set that I used to load a car into a 26’ U-Haul and it worked great.  Rated for 7000 and weight 112 for a pair of 14’ long ramps.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse because 90’s hot hatches rule.

8 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2023-12-21 09:17 AM)

harnishclan wrote:

Discountramps.com. Has what you need.  Aluminum to any length out to 14’. I have a set that I used to load a car into a 26’ U-Haul and it worked great.  Rated for 7000 and weight 112 for a pair of 14’ long ramps.

Man, I sure don't see anything on that website anywhere near that price point and description. Was that purchased several years ago before recent price increases? Could you supply a link to what you purchased?

Oh, and stupid me - I used Chrome to look on the website instead of my usual DuckDuckGo, so now every ad I see is for their website - very intrusive, and a lot more thorough ad penetration than most other web sites. Be careful!

Recommended reading.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/race-c … truck-2-0/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Brilliant! And, has PICS!

(How come I missed that? I've been reading this site since 2015, and _still_ missed that...)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
harnishclan wrote:

Man, I sure don't see anything on that website anywhere near that price point and description. Was that purchased several years ago before recent price increases? Could you supply a link to what you purchased?

Oh, and stupid me - I used Chrome to look on the website instead of my usual DuckDuckGo, so now every ad I see is for their website - very intrusive, and a lot more thorough ad penetration than most other web sites. Be careful!

Same ramps on Amazon for 675 per ramp.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse because 90’s hot hatches rule.

Ah, I see my mistake now: I saw the '112' as the price, not the weight.

(I'm going to blame it on having COVID)

Check with Anton Lovett. He transports the Volvo in a bread truck and it isn’t a lowered platform model.

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023