Topic: Got a 1999 Altima GXE, anyone else run one in Lemons?

Got a 99 Altima with 179k miles, running and driving for $500 even, the team currently consists of 3, myself, my dad, and a coworker, but will likely have more join in as things get going. We are all car novices, I change my own oil, tires, and brake pads/rotors but beyond that I know exactly enough to be dangerous.

I wanted to see if anyone else has run this car in a Lemons race and what kind of advice or experiences anyone might have. It's hard enough to find performance-centric info on these period, much less anything for endurance racing.  As of now I have no plans to mess with forced induction, and really just want to focus on making sure it doesn't explode.

Re: Got a 1999 Altima GXE, anyone else run one in Lemons?

Concentrate on passing tech first, most of the headaches you'll have are if your car can't pass tech out of the gate. Most important are the roll cage, seat, belts, fire system and kill switch. Most other stuff can be buttoned up at the track in a worst-case scenario. Make sure to read, re-read, memorize and then read again the "how not to fail Lemons tech" article on the main web site.

After that, Altima specifically doesn't really matter all that much as most cars fail in the same places once put under racing stress. Change all the fluids with high quality fluids. Get a set of high quality brake pads (hawk, ST43, EBC, etc..), and use racing brake fluid, like RBF600.

Your first race will likely be an organized cluster, it gets better the more you stick with it and build your car out.

If you're looking for a laundry list of maintenance or (potentially) cheap items that could add to reliability:
- transmission cooler
- replace wheel bearings
- get 2-4 spare wheels
- replace suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, engine mounts, anything with rubber that flexes.
- Bolt your car before every race (google it, but basically any bolt can fall out will fall out.
- lighten the car (remove extra glass, cut interior door frames, etc... also plenty of videos online).

Just remember, there's always the chance that the car goes out and immediately blows up or makes kissy faces with the wall. Don't feel like anything beyond the safety requirements are "required" to spend more time and money on, and usually adds to frustration if you're building your own car and entering a race for the first time.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

oh, and find a way to replace your lug studs/bolts with ARP studs. Lots of teams have found that one out the hard way watching their wheel beat the car out of a turn.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Thank you for the response, I've been researching the race and trying to put together a team for about the last 4 months. At this point I have the roll cage specs burned into my retinas. We've got a good road map laid out for the car prep, and I know to run thicker high-temp oil but the tip for RBF600 is excellent. And I've already budgeted for race rotors/pads. A cheap transmission cooler from Jegs is also in the budget.

The one big project I have to tackle beyond just getting everything bolted/proofed is converting the rear drums to discs since I can see that posing heating problems.

5 (edited by Zacks 2023-12-28 08:36 AM)

Haven't raced your car but since you are already looking at a drum conversion I'd research if bigger front brakes are available as well.  Maybe a maxima or 350z has the same bolt pattern and bigger brakes?

Our car had drums originally and we upgraded like 3 trim levels to brakes from an 06 wrx and it's really nice, we run cheep rotors and hawk blue pads and have done 3 races on 1 set of pads which is crazy cause I see people not make it a full day on a set.  I enjoy having confidence in my brakes and i probably do most of my passing by late braking on the inside lol!

Maxima calipers are probably cheap at the pick n pull

KeiCarMike wrote:

Concentrate on passing tech first, most of the headaches you'll have are if your car can't pass tech out of the gate. Most important are the roll cage, seat, belts, fire system and kill switch. Most other stuff can be buttoned up at the track in a worst-case scenario. Make sure to read, re-read, memorize and then read again the "how not to fail Lemons tech" article on the main web site.

After that, Altima specifically doesn't really matter all that much as most cars fail in the same places once put under racing stress. Change all the fluids with high quality fluids. Get a set of high quality brake pads (hawk, ST43, EBC, etc..), and use racing brake fluid, like RBF600.

Your first race will likely be an organized cluster, it gets better the more you stick with it and build your car out.

If you're looking for a laundry list of maintenance or (potentially) cheap items that could add to reliability:
- transmission cooler
- replace wheel bearings
- get 2-4 spare wheels
- replace suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, engine mounts, anything with rubber that flexes.
- Bolt your car before every race (google it, but basically any bolt can fall out will fall out.
- lighten the car (remove extra glass, cut interior door frames, etc... also plenty of videos online).

Just remember, there's always the chance that the car goes out and immediately blows up or makes kissy faces with the wall. Don't feel like anything beyond the safety requirements are "required" to spend more time and money on, and usually adds to frustration if you're building your own car and entering a race for the first time.

these are great suggestions, if I could add one more to the list.. replace the timing chain/belt whichever you have. a lot gf these newer motors are interference motors and if that timing belt goes the motor is junk and your weekend is over. we are doing the one on our GTI and the parts are less than $100 just my 2 cents

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

7 (edited by Zacks 2023-12-29 09:47 AM)

A note about rbf600:  I believe motul recommended more frequent flush intervals as it is more highly hydroscopic.  (Same as dot4 is more hydroscopic than dot3)

So if you aren't down with flushing it regularly (every year? Sooner if racing a lot?)  AND you don't torch your brakes (larger brakes slower or lighter car) you can just run regular dot4.

As long as you stay up on flushing rbf600 can't hurt.

I know most ppl will be like omg just change it, but just sayin

Zacks wrote:

A note about rbf600:  I believe motul recommended more frequent flush intervals as it is more highly hydroscopic.  (Same as dot4 is more hydroscopic than dot3)

So if you aren't down with flushing it regularly (every year? Sooner if racing a lot?)  AND you don't torch your brakes (larger brakes slower or lighter car) you can just run regular dot4.

As long as you stay up on flushing rbf600 can't hurt.

I know most ppl will be like omg just change it, but just sayin

You should be bleeding your brakes after every race. RBF600 is like $12/bottle, and we use less than two bottles a year. Cheap maintenance.

... hygroscopic ...

10 (edited by Zacks 2023-12-29 04:49 PM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

... hygroscopic ...

Omg that's hilarious I've literally heard/read that for years but my brain always assumed hydro.  I literally had to Google it, I was like ...no way I've been taking that for... *granite*