Topic: Gas Cap

I know this is a potentially stupid question, we are going to be running a stock fuel tank and system, I had asked about the fuel fill and I understand that if running stock you have to not change anything except that you can remove the fuel filler door, my question is that do we have to run a fuel cap, we have run another car in a few races and often see other cars with gas coming out the fuel fill in corners let me know, otherwise we will just attach a lanyard to the cap so we don't loose it in the hot pits.

thanks as always for the help.

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it will run, we hope!
Team member: The Neighbors "89 Foxbody notchback 3 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Re: Gas Cap

Yes you have to run a gas cap.  I carry a spare.  You can get black flagged for any fuel spilling, if you get a second for fuel you are done for the weekend.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

A gas cap is required. Fuel spilling out of the fill will get you black flagged.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

etb1009 wrote:

I know this is a potentially stupid question [snip]

The only stupid question is the one that's never asked - if you need the information. There are frivolous questions, but that's different.

etb1009 wrote:

... and often see other cars with gas coming out the fuel fill in corners [snip]

Often? This is concerning to me. Is a cap or closure checked before going on track - like the wristband? Interesting question to me: can corner workers see what happens on the outside of a turn, like fuel spilling?

etb1009 wrote:

... otherwise we will just attach a lanyard to the cap so we don't lose it in the hot pits.

Good idea; I'm thinking of doing that with my dd.

5 (edited by VKZ24 2024-02-16 09:17 AM)

chaase wrote:

Fuel spilling out of the fill will get you black flagged.

Well....maybe, maybe not.

My buddy somehow got black-flagged for a fuel leak IN THE POURING RAIN.  Were they right? Why yes they were!  How did corner workers know the difference?  I have no idea.

By contrast, I ran about 3 laps around NCM back in 2021 at the start of the race on day two and watched a car spew a large stream out of their quick-fill opening as they weaved from side-to-side 'warming his tires' I guess for the start.  Ray Charles could see this, but they got no black-flag.

To be clear, if I'm leaking fuel, I WANT TO KNOW, so I'm 100% fine with getting called in, and have once before.  My point is the calls are inconsistent at best.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know this isn't a Lemons issue, it's the corner workers.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I'm in the same boat... if you see fluid coming out of my car... call me in! I've called in a few cars leaking fluid... wasn't sure what it was, but i'm sure that team appreciates being black flagged instead of on fire. Even if it's from a cool suit, I've had a cool suit dump it's contents on a straight, in front of my rear left tire, and I came a couple feet from totaling the car into a wall. Even if it's water, no team leaks fluid intentionally.

Regarding the gas cap, yes you need one, but I don't think losing it in the hot pits is an actual problem? Putting the gas cap on (yelling "cap on") is a trigger for the rest of your team to be able to commence the driver change process... no gas cap, and your team should be frozen and focused on the one person whose adding fuel. Once that cap is off the entire car should be treated as a flammable paper weight. I can't see how it would possible to be lost or forgotten during the process. We always rehearse fueling on friday before the weekend, it sounds and looks silly, but it keeps us safe.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

I'm in the same boat... if you see fluid coming out of my car... call me in! I've called in a few cars leaking fluid... wasn't sure what it was, but i'm sure that team appreciates being black flagged instead of on fire. Even if it's from a cool suit, I've had a cool suit dump it's contents on a straight, in front of my rear left tire, and I came a couple feet from totaling the car into a wall. Even if it's water, no team leaks fluid intentionally.

Regarding the gas cap, yes you need one, but I don't think losing it in the hot pits is an actual problem? Putting the gas cap on (yelling "cap on") is a trigger for the rest of your team to be able to commence the driver change process... no gas cap, and your team should be frozen and focused on the one person whose adding fuel. Once that cap is off the entire car should be treated as a flammable paper weight. I can't see how it would possible to be lost or forgotten during the process. We always rehearse fueling on friday before the weekend, it sounds and looks silly, but it keeps us safe.

When I used to arrive and drive we had one that got lost during a night race, and another that fell into an area that was very difficult to get to.  Both were fuel cells.

I don't know how we can lose one now, it is part of our routine to let everyone know it is safe to load the driver, but we have a spare anyways.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Is a cap or closure checked before going on track - like the wristband?

No, it's not a mandatory check like the wristband, helmet sticker, and windshield sticker. When I'm checking cars and drivers at pit-out I'll look (but only look) at the gas cap, but only if it's visible from where I'm standing. I don't do a walk-around of each car as it tries to go onto the track unless I notice something weird as it approaches, like an object dragging on the ground beneath it. I will be looking for anything leaking as the car approaches and as it leaves, though.

I won't touch the cap to check it or to fix it, but I have sometimes noticed an obvious issue and instructed the driver to return to the paddock to take care of it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

VKZ24 wrote:
chaase wrote:

Fuel spilling out of the fill will get you black flagged.

Well....maybe, maybe not.

My buddy somehow got black-flagged for a fuel leak IN THE POURING RAIN.  Were they right? Why yes they were!  How did corner workers know the difference?  I have no idea.

By contrast, I ran about 3 laps around NCM back in 2021 at the start of the race on day two and watched a car spew a large stream out of their quick-fill opening as they weaved from side-to-side 'warming his tires' I guess for the start.  Ray Charles could see this, but they got no black-flag.

To be clear, if I'm leaking fuel, I WANT TO KNOW, so I'm 100% fine with getting called in, and have once before.  My point is the calls are inconsistent at best.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know this isn't a Lemons issue, it's the corner workers.

Noone noticing it is a different issue but its supposed to get you black flagged.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner